• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Humans are not audio machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vecna

Human hearing is shit, that has been established by a bunch of tests.
But that is not the story.
We have huge brains, that work in a certain manner.
The data that is collected from our ears is subject to very powerful real time processing, we hear fuck all but derive a lot.
This is not unusual and is one of the characteristics of human brain function, and indeed applies to all our data input senses. For example we stream audio and video data, but we hear sounds and see objects we recognise ( and dont start me off on language). The amount of processing power required to get there is staggering.
So why are human listening tests so out of sync with the way we work ?
Weather one can hear a frequency means bugger all, a more accurate test ( just pulling this out of ass ) maybe would be a voice one has heard a million times, with your test tone superimposed . Vs, the voice clean.
Likewise A/B tests make no sense if the sample is not very very familiar.
Unfortunately the way our brains work also has distinct disadvantages when it comes to testing a sense in isolation, all that data that is steaming in constantly is effectively mixed at process time, sound, vision, taste, touch all are part of the fabric of memory ( sight has its own dual advanced pre processor so tends to dominate ). In short we get things wrong a lot by design. That does not mean we do not detect the noise, it means you need to do a LOT of tests on LOTS of people before making any conclusions.
Not being very knowledgeable in the acoustic testing thing, this is my opinion, so if there are a bunch of tests that address brain function as one of the test drivers, then very sorry :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome

OK!
We are not easily offended but your first post is a bit coarse. Care to take your time to edit it and present in a more palatable way?

What is the point you are trying to make or question , you are trying to ask? Or are you presenting an opinion? We are not too keen on opinions here, we like provable, demonstrable, repeatable data ...
Just saying...

Peace

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Human hearing is shit, that has been established by a bunch of tests.
But that is not the story.
We have huge brains, that work in a certain manner.
The data that is collected from our ears is subject to very powerful real time processing, we hear fuck all but derive a lot.
This is not unusual and is one of the characteristics of human brain function, and indeed applies to all our data input senses. For example we stream audio and video data, but we hear sounds and see objects we recognise ( and dont start me off on language). The amount of processing power required to get there is staggering.
So why are human listening tests so out of sync with the way we work ?
Weather one can hear a frequency means bugger all, a more accurate test ( just pulling this out of ass ) maybe would be a voice one has heard a million times, with your test tone superimposed . Vs, the voice clean.
Likewise A/B tests make no sense if the sample is not very very familiar.
Unfortunately the way our brains work also has distinct disadvantages when it comes to testing a sense in isolation, all that data that is steaming in constantly is effectively mixed at process time, sound, vision, taste, touch all are part of the fabric of memory ( sight has its own dual advanced pre processor so tends to dominate ). In short we get things wrong a lot by design. That does not mean we do not detect the noise, it means you need to do a LOT of tests on LOTS of people before making any conclusions.
Not being very knowledgeable in the acoustic testing thing, this is my opinion, so if there are a bunch of tests that address brain function as one of the test drivers, then very sorry :)
It is a bit unclear to me. Do you want to state your opinion or ask a question?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
So far we just have a rant about how we can’t trust measurements. He gets a first post benefit of the doubt.

egellings

Major Contributor
Lose the birdies (F-words)! They don't clarify anything and may offend some. As for me, I don't care. I can cuss an offending amplifier right off the table, dad burn it.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Interesting first post, akin to entering a library and shouting your mouth off then slamming the door on your way out.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
My apologies for the momentary mix up and mis-posting in the wrong thread. What happens when you have 4 or 5 open tabs multitasking. Thanks @solderdude for the PM. :cool:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
My apologies for the momentary mix up and mis-posting in the wrong thread. What happens when you have 4 or 5 open tabs multitasking. Thanks @solderdude for the PM. :cool:
I was wondering already if there was a secret message to the OP. Well some of the song titles would have matched :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought we might be in full mod meltdown for a minute.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Start reading:

OP
V

Vecna

Welcome

OK!
We are not easily offended but your first post is a bit coarse. Care to take your time to edit it and present in a more palatable way?

What is the point you are trying to make or question , you are trying to ask? Or are you presenting an opinion? We are not too keen on opinions here, we like provable, demonstrable, repeatable data ...
Just saying...

Peace
Nah am going to swear like a bitch, just as will use more "moderate" language. As a successful EE I have earned the right :) :)
Not a question more an observation.
As for proof , which bit ?
Neural network function is very much known, and indeed old hat by now. The brain does work primarily as a pattern recognition system, I can not see much argument there. Yes we do process sound we receive real time, and yes we are able to derive much more from that input than a frequency spectrum.
Do I want to go and spend thousands and loads of time testing hundreds of people so I can firmly say that have proved my thesis, NOPE !!! Got high speed layout to do this weekend then its drugs sex and rock and roll :)

OP
V

Vecna

Start reading:

Have you read it ? Bears no relation to my post period !
Maybe before being smug read and understand what I wrote. Or don't whatever floats your boat.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nah am going to swear like a bitch, just as will use more "moderate" language. As a successful EE I have earned the right :) :)
This is a global family friendly website for all ages. Keeping the grammar clean and easy to understand is a primary responsibility of the members of ASR. Your grammar is horrible and yes you swear for no real reason.

kthulhutu

The human auditory system does a lot of impressive things actually, I suggest you research it.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Another one for the ignore function

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Well then, well then, well then... Why even bother filling the registration for such a short notice and nothing new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom