• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Human Speakers 81 dk Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 205 88.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters

uwotm8

You mean like they didn't just choose the parts based on looks?
Well, it depends. Parts for SoundArtist "aliexpress version" are suspected to be chosen by the look:D
British ones are better news for a little more (~$4000) money.

DSJR

Major Contributor
You mean like they didn't just choose the parts based on looks?
The best makers worked damned hard on each batch to maintain consistency and yeah, those fifty year old boxes worked well for the job they initially had to do. It's the audiophool reverence that came after that was the real killer.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Feel better A...why would you take all the trouble of creating a speaker company, modify drivers, spend the money on good cabinets...and end up with a really uneven product? It seems like you would create a really good sounding prototype first, then you have something to take to market. Seems backwards.
Wait until S’Phile or TAS review these or similar and you’ll understand.

Happy New year!

Peace.

D

Deleted member 21219

Thank you for this review, @amirm ! I've been aware of Huw Powell and his association with Winslow Burhoe for years, but I never had a chance to hear one of Powell's products. I was always curious.
Now I'm not. :oops:

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one looks like a job for Danny Richie.

Lol, please add a winking emoji as that would be an expensive approach and would mean piling one mistake on top of another!

These simply need to be returned for a refund ASAP.

Mosquito

The speaker clearly failed the premise of the Burhoe module from which it is derived. The woofer is supposed to naturally roll off at 1.8 khz without any post peak, in order to gentle cross with the tweeter that uses a single capacitor as the whole filter crossover.
This is how two-way EPI models are supposed to have worked.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Made in the USA
Well, technically, New Hampshire. Live Free or Die. ;)

My inference would be that Huw's woofer rolls off lower than did Winslow Burhoe's EPI/Epicure 8 inch woofer of the 1970s. Either that, or he moved the XO point up.
It would be interesting to compare a properly rehabbed EPI 100 to these. I'd offer to send one of my 100Vs but they're big and fragile enough to make shipping fiscally and logically prohibitive :( Plus -- at some point, relatively (?) early on, the EPI concave dome tweeters began using ferrofluid. If my 100V's tweeters contain(ed) ferrofluid, they probably don't any more, so their Fs, at the least, will be wrong. :(

On the "plus" side, they do have proper surrounds from Rick Cobb. :)

EDIT: Winslow Burhoe's still around, living in Weston, MA, and might still even be building loudspeakers. It might be interesting to measure one of his own later Direct Acoustics (company) loudspeaker designs.

beagleman

Major Contributor
These are, I believe, true acoustic suspension speakers. Not just sealed box.

@amirm could the combination of being measured "With grill" and approximating the tweeter center possibly cause some of the response issues?

Notice I said SOME, not all obviously

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Guess we shouldn't care about 0.8-2kHz, it was always overhyped!
800-2000Hz who cares.jpg

And to be honest I always felt that >6kHz didn't matter either - I like the bold economy!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, technically, New Hampshire. Live Free or Die. ;)

My inference would be that Huw's woofer rolls off lower than did Winslow Burhoe's EPI/Epicure 8 inch woofer of the 1970s. Either that, or he moved the XO point up.
It would be interesting to compare a properly rehabbed EPI 100 to these. I'd offer to send one of my 100Vs but they're big and fragile enough to make shipping fiscally and logically prohibitive :( Plus -- at some point, relatively (?) early on, the EPI concave dome tweeters began using ferrofluid. If my 100V's tweeters contain(ed) ferrofluid, they probably don't any more, so their Fs, at the least, will be wrong. :(

On the "plus" side, they do have proper surrounds from Rick Cobb. :)

EDIT: Winslow Burhoe's still around, living in Weston, MA, and might still even be building loudspeakers. It might be interesting to measure one of his own later Direct Acoustics (company) loudspeaker designs.
Has to be said, they do look tired!

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Feel better A...why would you take all the trouble of creating a speaker company, modify drivers, spend the money on good cabinets...and end up with a really uneven product? It seems like you would create a really good sounding prototype first, then you have something to take to market. Seems backwards.
That makes way too much sense…most of us just want the fame and glory without any of the work…I believe the word they use nowadays is entitled.

Top Bottom