• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to install KEF LS50 to the ceiling?

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
So assuming that I am willing to drill holes in the KEF LS50 original where should I drill them, and how deep?

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
I was wondering would these work?

D

Deleted member 21219

I was wondering would these work?

My opinion is that I wouldn't mount a speaker directly on a wall. I'd set it several inches off the wall, and probably aim it at an angle from the surface plane of the wall.Otherwise, you can get really wonky cancellations in the midrange.

Put your speakers directly on the wall surface, holding them up with anything you care to sue, and see whether you like the sound or not.

What mystifies me is that 20 years ago, there were adjustable speaker mounts on the market that clamped the speaker and held it securely that way. Try as I might, I can't find any of them for ceiling mounts any more.

Jim

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently, there are four hex bolts under rubber caps on the back of the LS50 that hold the front on....

More pictures inside here:
Maybe its possible to possible to use these in some way?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These guys seem to have a lot of stuff.
I used pipe hangers to my ceiling joists > threaded rod > angle bracket screwed to the back of my speakers (25 lb) in my garage/shop 15 years ago. Still hanging up there.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Apparently, there are four hex bolts under rubber caps on the back of the LS50 that hold the front on....

More pictures inside here:
Maybe its possible to possible to use these in some way?
They hold the speaker together! So I am not sure that would work. I was looking at these but not sure how long should the screws be?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They hold the speaker together! So I am not sure that would work.

I was thinking of something like this... Get some threaded bar that is the same diameter/thread, but 2" longer than the bolts. Screw the bar into the holes in the baffle, secure with a locking nut if desired. Put the baffle back on the speaker and secure the threaded bar at the back of the speaker using a washer and nut (replicating the action of the bolts). You should have about 1.5" of bar sticking out of the back of the speaker to attach to something else - obviously the length of the bar could be adjusted depending on what you want to mount to.

The WSB1 looks nice, but you are going to have to screw into the bottom of the LS50 to secure them. If I was going to do this, I would probably use threaded inserts (like this) in the speaker and set screws to secure to the wall mount. An alternative would be to stick the speaker to the mount using 3M VHB tape or maybe Acrylic Tape.

Last edited:
Top Bottom