• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

How to identify Room Modes by measurement

Olli

Forum Donor
I am looking for the optimal XO point for Subs. This is why I new to check for Room Modes. Unfortunately my room is totally non standard in its dimensions, so a Calculator W/D/H won’t help. Is there a way to identify Room Modes by measurement, preferably with REW?

MediumRare

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Hipper

What I did was draw a shape on the graph. Say you want to draw a rectangle. Find a starting point, left click and hold down whilst drawing a line on the graph. When that line is complete release left click. Then draw the next line.

You can make any shape including angular lines but not circles.

Where you go from there I'm not sure. Click on '?' for more clues.

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It didn't like Chrome here...

MediumRare

Forum Donor
You might need flash.

Next step, click on speaker to place your subwoofer. Click ear to place the listening position. Then you can select the main reflections or all reflections.

Willem

Just get a measurement microphone like the UMIK-1 and measure what is really happening. You will likely be horrified.

ernestcarl

Just get a measurement microphone like the UMIK-1 and measure what is really happening. You will likely be horrified.
LOL. That was my impression at first, too. The awful truth is hard to accept -- in the first days and weeks -- then you later find yourself saying: "well, it's really not all that bad... maybe we can improve things a bit."

pozz

Contributor
Forum Donor
Editor
Room modes (which depend on the room's dimensions) can't be fixed with room EQ, although those with irregular shape as the OP described have less chance of standing waves.

As @Willem said, measure and then adjust as needed.