• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to buy used CDs (deals)

... I just got my Eagles CD collections a few days before they were available to stream everywhere. ...
Funny you mention that. The Eagles albums on Qobuz are the remastered squashed versions. The last 2 were so heavily squashed that I tracked down and bought the early CD releases from the 1980s.

Funny you mention that. The Eagles albums on Qobuz are the remastered squashed versions. The last 2 were so heavily squashed that I tracked down and bought the early CD releases from the 1980s.
I bought this 6-CD set back in 2013.

I'm probably not that critical of a listener, but the HiRes versions on Apple Music sound ok to me.

i have three of those remasters on CD and they are close to the limit of what is acceptable. Keep meaning to replace them with originals, but I don't play them that often.

I have bought hundreds of CDs from Half Price Books which is a great place to buy if you are in the USA. They date code their stuff and after a period of time stuff goes into clearance at $2.00. They give 10% of if you are an educator. Most CDs that are not clearance are 3.99 to 9.49. They also have DVD and Blu Ray mostly videos of concerts and music performances. Before Covid they had tent sales where the clearance stuff would be 0.50 or 1.00 and they STILL gave you ten per cent off with your educator card.

Vintage stock has a clearance section where the price is 0.99 and I have bought things there too.

I think CD prices are creeping upwards a bit and selection likely to be more picked over. Just a feeling.

i have three of those remasters on CD and they are close to the limit of what is acceptable. Keep meaning to replace them with originals, but I don't play them that often.
To my ears, the 6 albums from that 2013 remaster are not the same. The first 3 albums are mildly squashed. The 4th is moderately squashed, and the last 2 are heavily squashed.

To my ears, the 6 albums from that 2013 remaster are not the same. The first 3 albums are mildly squashed. The 4th is moderately squashed, and the last 2 are heavily squashed.
Turns out I have four of them - 1, 4, 5 and 6 and I'd go along with that. Hotel California is especially bad.

You've spurred me on to sort that out. Especially for One Of These Nights which is worth having just for 'After The Thrill Has Gone.'

Turns out I have four of them - 1, 4, 5 and 6 and I'd go along with that. Hotel California is especially bad.

You've spurred me on to sort that out. Especially for One Of These Nights which is worth having just for 'After The Thrill Has Gone.'
Unfortuneately the best versions of the Eagles titles are the fancy DCC Gold and similar audiophile remasters selling for big $$$$. I picked up the DCC Gold Greatest Hits cheap years ago and now wish I wouldn't have as it really does sound better than the regular CD but there is no way I am dishing out that kind of money on the other titles. For "regular" versions look for the ones mastered by Barry Diamente which sound good with good dynamics and can be found cheap.

Unfortuneately the best versions of the Eagles titles are the fancy DCC Gold and similar audiophile remasters selling for big $$$$. I picked up the DCC Gold Greatest Hits cheap years ago and now wish I wouldn't have as it really does sound better than the regular CD but there is no way I am dishing out that kind of money on the other titles. For "regular" versions look for the ones mastered by Barry Diamente which sound good with good dynamics and can be found cheap.
I started a thread recently on the Eagles albums. To help keep this thread on topic, here's the link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...el-california-the-long-run.45160/post-1610027

I see what you mean about those DCC Gold CDs, some selling for hundreds.

Thanks for the tip re the Diament master.

In the UK I find MusicMagpie excellent for 2nd hand CDs. I’ve bought dozens from them. Only one was unplayable (an actual crack in the disk), this was promptly refunded. I have a couple that have a minor skip, but nothing compared to some of the dodgy vinyl available at record fairs!!

Hi. I have more than thousand new cds of different artists, mostly hard rock and heavy metal.
If it is interesting. please ask me for the list. the price is 2$ and low cost shipping.
No offense, but I think you're supposed to list items in the proper forum.

Back
Top Bottom