• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud is loud, how to measure it? Is THX calibration bad for your health?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes there is but that should be fixed once the reference level is calibrated. That is what level calibration means. In cinemas the volume control is behind a lock.

Cinemas yes... sound has to impress.
At home you have your volume control so see no reason for HT to be dangerous in that way.
Its mostly about exposure time and the tremendous SPL peaks are usually lowest bass and short lived for movies.
How often does the average person visit a movie theatre ?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cinemas yes... sound has to impress.
At home you have your volume control so see no reason for HT to be dangerous in that way.
Its mostly about exposure time and the tremendous SPL peaks are usually lowest bass and short lived for movies.
How often does the average person visit a movie theatre ?
THX is a domestic standard. It doesn't meant for cinemas. Dolby standards are used for those. That is why you have a THX logo on your AVR?

I have linked what THX says about their refence level for home use. Here it is again. They have made it crystal clear what they want us to experience.

THX Certified Audio products are designed to let you experience movies the way they were meant to be heard. On every THX Certified AV Receiver the “0” on the volume dial represents THX Reference Level, the exact volume level used by the moviemakers and sound artists in the studio.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is for the LFE channel, not for speakers. for speakers it's 10dB lower!!!
Show me where this said in the standard, please.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When i took these screenshots my system was calibrated to 0 dBFS @ 75dBSPL.

These were the readings with Z-weighting (basically no weighting) and A-weighting (the weighting used for safe noise levels).

70741327-A0C4-4A7D-890B-9980F91E5835.png

E73172F5-63AF-476E-8762-EDB844556571.png

Attachments

• A7E207CD-0FFA-4B6F-A1EC-21469CAB8404.png
    A7E207CD-0FFA-4B6F-A1EC-21469CAB8404.png
    382.8 KB · Views: 57

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But you still have the volume control if you think it is too loud for HT is my point. I don't care if someone else tells me how loud I should listen.
Now... I don't have any THX at home nor an AVR so it does not apply to me but I would assume that everyone using an AVR in HT can adjust the volume.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm honestly very disappointed in this thread, incredibly misinformative.

no A-weighting, using the reference level of a subwoofer instead of speakers. it's like there was zero actual research or care into the information provided.
A weighting is for noise not for music,
I am using the level in the listening position whatever the speaker is emitting at that track.
You may want to check the link on my post and follow the links on it. I copied it below for your benefit.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have a closer look at the image you copied, it says LFE.
That is not reflective of the standard. I have also linked to the THX standard. Do please read it. I will however, edit the chart in order not to confuse other like you were.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not reflective of the standard. I have also linked to the THX standard. Do please read it. I will however, edit the chart in order not to confuse other like you were.
Please correct the information in the thread or at least redact it, this is a very rookie mistake.

1639838546340.png

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the mistake here? It says 85dBSPL at -20dBFS, exactly as I wrote.

Are you kidding me right now?

Will it affect my health?

THX standard says that at reference level (-20dBFS, the broadcast/professional reference level) a Pink Noise should generate 95dBSPL at the audience position. As you can see from the simple chart below this means the theatre's sound system is expected to produce 115dBSPL without audible distortion.

View attachment 173257

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will however, edit the chart in order not to confuse other like you were.
There are two charts - one is for speakers and one for the LFE channel. See here:

Speaker%2520reference%2520level.gif
Subwoofer%2520reference%2520level.gif

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you kidding me right now?
Obviously I am not kidding anyone, but do please entertain me and explain what is it that you found kidding?

Thank you.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are two charts - one is for speakers and one for the LFE channel. See here:

Speaker%2520reference%2520level.gif
Subwoofer%2520reference%2520level.gif
I have posted the wrong chart by mistake. I will correct it. I appreciated if I had been pointed to my mistake instead of arguing though.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you wrote 95 dBSPL, you took measurements with your phone at 95dBSPL.

This is at best trolling at this point.
Yes I did and I said it is an average value. I simply chose a value 10dB higher than the reference. Isn't that what you expect to be an average level if the reference is at 85dB and peaks at 115dB?

I resent being accused of trolling. I hope the moderator will take action.

storing

Forum Donor
You are talking about Health & Safety laws. I am talking about expected medical consequences. I am not a medical expert, hence cannot explain further.

Conceptually I'm also talking about medical consequences, which is why I'm wondering what references/standards you or the app use (or laws if you want, assuming they are based on research but knowing they might not take it strict enough in the medical sense): after all your claim is the app tells you something is bad for your health.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I did and I said it is an average value. I simply chose a value 10dB higher than the reference. Isn't that what you expect to be an average if the reference is at 85dB and peaks at 115dB?

No, Just like the standard that you link clearly states, 85dBSPL with 20 dB of headroom.

infact the RMS of the center channel is often between -30 dBFS and -25dBFS. Many mixers actually mix significantly below the THX reference. In Europe you have to follow the EBU R 128, which is slightly quieter than the THX reference.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Conceptually I'm also talking about medical consequences, which is why I'm wondering what references/standards you or the app use (or laws if you want, assuming they are based on research but knowing they might not take it strict enough in the medical sense): after all your claim is the app tells you something is bad for your health.
The app shows us the levels. It is the researchers tell us those levels are bad for your health. The app is only pointing you what those researches said in a simple way.

The research is on the Internet. Feel free to study. I personally do not want to. I trust CDC, as that is exactly why they exist.

Top Bottom