• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I plug this cable into this hole?

frostyforst

Hello I got a new headphone (focal clear mg) and amp and although it works with one cable, I want to use the other one (because it's longer and also works with more kinds of amps)

heres the cable in my box that I want to use

and heres the hole I'm trying to plug into:

What do I need to purchase to connect it without losing the quality of the sound?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't worry about not using the balanced cable. Use the unbalanced cable with the provided 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.

Focal.png

Somafunk

Major Contributor
OP
F

frostyforst

Don't worry about not using the balanced cable. Use the unbalanced cable with the provided 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.

View attachment 359765
sorry you mean to use the other cable and plug it into the top hole right? I want to use the bottom hole because that's the hole I have also on another amp (a portable one, called ifi go blu)

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sorry you mean to use the other cable and plug it into the top hole right? I want to use the bottom hole because that's the hole I have also on another amp (a portable one, called ifi go blu)
Are you looking for a cable like this?
71YrtGRuxvL._SX466_.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Fiio use a 6.3mm jack for balanced don’t they?

EDIT - The filo uses a 4.4mm for balanced use

Last edited:
OP
F

frostyforst

Yes, any correctly built cable should have the same sound quality, regardless of brand.
Actually one more question. With this new setup I would be using a 4.4 balanced pin which is smaller than my current 6.3mm pin but will sound quality be the same despite the size? Sorry I’m new to hobby.

nerdemoji

Actually one more question. With this new setup I would be using a 4.4 balanced pin which is smaller than my current 6.3mm pin but will sound quality be the same despite the size? Sorry I’m new to hobby.
Balanced cables only give 3db extra headroom (and thats even assuming that the circuitry is balanced). Cables and balanced vs unbalanced does not matter except for the most fringe cases (very long cable runs, very low impedance drivers, very thin or poorly made cables and connectors)

rcstevensonaz

Yes, any correctly built cable should have the same sound quality, regardless of brand.
I fully agree! But, I would expand "correctly built" to include (a) properly sized, (b) accurately wired, (c) competently built, using (d) sufficiently quality components.

Examples:
(a) The AWG of the wire is undersized for the distance and/or electric current*
(b) Pins 1 & 2 on an XLR balanced cable are reversed; or pin 3 is either connected or not connected (contrary to what is required by the end device)
(c) Bad solder joints or crimps; stray wires
(d) Cheap plastic that starts to break after limited use or doesn't provide proper support; connectors that don't seat properly

If you read into some of the reviews for the cheap "China-built" cables, they will often fail on 1, 2, 3, or even all 4 of those criteria. So the simple statement of "you won't hear any difference" is generally true; but I would be careful assuming all cables on Amazon are correctly built.

I mention this because I almost purchased a similar type cable (4-pin XLR to 2x TRS), until I read the comments such as: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1HELT5CWZOYL3/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl

* the old "Monster Cable" demonstration boxes at Big Box Stores that compared a long spool of AWG 18 against Monster Cable's AWG 12 (or something similar). Sound quality differences between those the two cables was quite noticeable, as physics says it should be.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
In interconnect systems conductor size or AWG does not matter. It could be very small but might break with handling.
But in headphone cables, size does matter.

In an XLR interconnect, if Pins 1 & 2 are reversed, you won't get a balanced signal, you may or may not get an unbalanced signal. The balanced signal is between Pins 2 & 3.

Pin 1 is the shield. Sometimes it's not connected at the receive end.

rcstevensonaz

In interconnect systems conductor size or AWG does not matter. It could be very small but might break with handling.
Is that only the case for typical short-run interconnects? Or, does AWG still not matter for sound quality on longer cable as well, for example a 15' / 5m or more? (setting aside issue of noise introduction on long unbalanced vs. balanced cables, which is different issue)

Speedskater

Major Contributor
In concert hall classical music recordings, we often used 300 foot cables and AWG didn't matter. At well over 1000 feet it might. But all the cables had 22 or 24AWC conductors for handling reasons.

Peterinvan

Hello I got a new headphone (focal clear mg) and amp and although it works with one cable, I want to use the other one (because it's longer and also works with more kinds of amps)

heres the cable in my box that I want to use

and heres the hole I'm trying to plug into:

What do I need to purchase to connect it without losing the quality of the sound?
Great choice (Focals with the K7).

To use your Focals with the 4.4mm balanced out from the K7, I recommend the balanced4.4mm Meze 99 cable. $79 CDN. It works very well for me.

To connect the K7 to an amplifier (or powered speakers) use the RCA out sockets at the back with RCA cables.

Last edited:
Top Bottom