• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High-end ($3000+) class-D amplifiers

Which one?

• Primare A35.2

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Bel Canto e1X amp

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • McIntosh MI254

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • NAD M22

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • NAD C298

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Other ($3000+), specify in comments

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's the difference between an Apple laptop and an Asus laptop with the same CPU. It's the difference between a BMW 3-series and a Honda Accord with the same engine horsepower.

We're not talking "the same engine horsepower." We're talking the same engine.

The difference in price between these and an amp from MarchAudio/Nord/... is all in the leather upholstery.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We're not talking "the same engine horsepower." We're talking the same engine.

The difference in price between these and an amp from MarchAudio/Nord/... is all in the leather upholstery.

More than that. It is really the same drivetrain, just a different body.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Admittedly not class D and a bit out of left field here, but you might want to consider a Neurochrome Modulus-286 built by the designer himself (@tomchr). He’s based in Canada and the amp is class A/B, but the performance is absolutely on par with the best class D, and he’s very transparent and committed to build quality. Best of luck finding what floats your boat.

rony

@samsa and @CDMC . Honest ignorant question here after reading comments #41 and #42. Why is the founder of purufi selling Mola Mola Kaluga for upwards of $16000 (yep 16 Grand).

Sugarbubble

Technics su-r 1000. Gorgeous metalwork and with ( as far as I know ) the only implementation of feedback technology to lock down distortion at the speakers. 10k price tag but it’s only money

paulraphael

I was amazed to discover that Bel Canto made a multi-thousand $$ amp that uses the same IcePower module as my $800 Aguilar bass amp.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@samsa and @CDMC . Honest ignorant question here after reading comments #41 and #42. Why is the founder of purufi selling Mola Mola Kaluga for upwards of $16000 (yep 16 Grand).

If there's a market at that price, why shouldn't Bruno Putzeys be allowed to cash in?

I would venture that the Kaluga monoblock is better engineered than any of the amplifiers mentioned in this thread. That does not make it remotely worth the asking price.

Top Bottom