• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Which amp do you use? I'm use the Magnius right now.

Mostly the RME ADI2 DAC or the THX 789. The HE6 on the 789, the DCA will run happily off either. Its possible I just havent found the right EQ for the Aeon yet but also the HE6 (despite their increased weight) seem to sit better on my head too.

The DCA are like rubber gloves on your ears- comfortable bit also slightly icky. I have a theory fit/ comfort gets muddled up in your brain with the sound of headphones.

Luke Lemke

Mostly the RME ADI2 DAC or the THX 789. The HE6 on the 789, the DCA will run happily off either. Its possible I just havent found the right EQ for the Aeon yet but also the HE6 (despite their increased weight) seem to sit better on my head too.

The DCA are like rubber gloves on your ears- comfortable bit also slightly icky. I have a theory fit/ comfort gets muddled up in your brain with the sound of headphones.
Interesting theory about comfort vs. perceived sound quality, never thought of that. I think the price paid vs. perceived sound quality still has a bigger influence in our brains. That's a point a lot of people have made here though...

I'll play around with the HE-6 EQ a little bit more before I decide between Hifiman and DCA. Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the price paid vs. perceived sound quality still has a bigger influence in our brains. That's a point a lot of people have made here though...
Quite possibly. Impossible to remove if you know both what you are listening to and what it costs relative to the other device.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Icky??? That's a first, lol. What do you mean by that? Do they get sweaty and stick to your head kind of icky? I never had that problem ( Thank heavens).

peniku8

Forum Donor
I recieved my HE6se today and I'm not sure if my headphones are faulty, they'd fall under 'extreme production variance' or if it's something else, but I have two (three) main concerns:
-When I put them on hastily and the pads compress on my head (or when I push the ear cups harder onto my ear by hand) I hear a sound like crumbling/warping plastic foil, is this normal?
-I measured left and right channels and the channel variance in frequency response is much worse than that of my HD650 (and also worse than my HE400i 2020)
-I see relatively high distortion below 100Hz (rising to 0.5% at 20Hz at 97db), but that might be my RME Fireface, since it runs absolutely maxed out, struggling to reproduce 100db at these frequencies(?) I'm unsure if this is noise related, since it's all odd harmonics (mostly 3rd) and it's a very gradual increase in distortion

I have not yet tried to switch the pads (sides), but I have tried to EQ out the difference and the right channel responded predictably
Disclaimer: my measurement fixture is not calibrated and doesn't have a matched acoustic imedance, which is why the absolute response looks different to Amir's measurements (and is not reliable above 2-3khz).

LGfxtxw.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Icky??? That's a first, lol. What do you mean by that? Do they get sweaty and stick to your head kind of icky? I never had that problem ( Thank heavens).

The not quite leather pads are just a little bit too squishy and not quite big enough internally to accommodate my lugs. Its an odd complaint I know , bit they are just a bit too snug.

LancerFIN

-When I put them on hastily and the pads compress on my head (or when I push the ear cups harder onto my ear by hand) I hear a sound like crumbling/warping plastic foil, is this normal?
I had that crumbling sound in Audeze LCD2F when the diaphragm had fallen apart.
7597463.jpg

Last edited:

peniku8

Forum Donor
I had that crumbling sound in Audeze LCD2F when the diagphram had fallen apart.
7597463.jpg

Did it have an obvious sound deficiency? When EQ'd to match, my headphones sound great and I measure distortion barely above my noise floor (0.1%) around 100db, plus I didn't see any damage when I removed the pads.

peniku8

Forum Donor
I contacted Hifiman and they claimed the headphones need burn-in time. Since the drivers in headphones don't move much and these are planars, which basically don't move at all, I don't understand how 'burn-in' would change anything. To my understanding manufacturers only tell people that speakers/headphones need burn in, so that they have some time to get used to the new sound signature.
I break-in my woofers, but that's obviously a whole different thing, since you expect these to move several millimeters (and especially newer pro subs have a really stiff suspension, which needs to be loosened-up when they're new).
I also changed the pads, which made basically no difference.
Currently using the headphones with the kinda extreme right channel compensation, but that knocks down the pre-amp gain another 5db (because I need to boost 1.8k by that amount), so the maximum loudness is extremely limited, even on my Topping EX5 in high gain mode. I hope Hifiman can send me a replacement diaphragm or something, this would be the easiest for me, as I don't really wanna go through the trouble of sending these back and forth..

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recieved my HE6se today and I'm not sure if my headphones are faulty, they'd fall under 'extreme production variance' or if it's something else, but I have two (three) main concerns:
-I measured left and right channels and the channel variance in frequency response is much worse than that of my HD650 (and also worse than my HE400i 2020)
-I see relatively high distortion below 100Hz (rising to 0.5% at 20Hz at 97db), but that might be my RME Fireface, since it runs absolutely maxed out, struggling to reproduce 100db at these frequencies(?) I'm unsure if this is noise related, since it's all odd harmonics (mostly 3rd) and it's a very gradual increase in distortion

I have not yet tried to switch the pads (sides), but I have tried to EQ out the difference and the right channel responded predictably
Disclaimer: my measurement fixture is not calibrated and doesn't have a matched acoustic imedance, which is why the absolute response looks different to Amir's measurements (and is not reliable above 2-3khz).

LGfxtxw.jpg
Are the pads the same as the V2? Faux leather outer ring, fabric on the skin and fenestrated pleather on the inner surface? If so, mine had zero crinkly sounds when new . I have had other headphones with crackly pads when new but not these. I would send the pair back- they sound broken.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Are the pads the same as the V2? Faux leather outer ring, fabric on the skin and fenestrated pleather on the inner surface? If so, mine had zero crinkly sounds when new . I have had other headphones with crackly pads when new but not these. I would send the pair back- they sound broken.
Yea, they have a hex-stitching on the fabric, which my HE400 don't have. Just to be clear, the pads don't make the noise. The crackling noise occurs when I wear the headphones (aka sealing off the air volume inside the cup) and then compress the pads by pushing the headphones harder onto my head. It seems like the air trying to escape is warping the diaphragm? I'm not sure. That noise also occurs when I put the headphones on quickly (so it 'snaps' onto my head, compressing the pads in the process due to their clamping force and inertia). The noise is very loud and uncomfortable.
This noise occurs in both headphones thou.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea, they have a hex-stitching on the fabric, which my HE400 don't have. Just to be clear, the pads don't make the noise. The crackling noise occurs when I wear the headphones (aka sealing off the air volume inside the cup) and then compress the pads by pushing the headphones harder onto my head. It seems like the air trying to escape is warping the diaphragm? I'm not sure. That noise also occurs when I put the headphones on quickly (so it 'snaps' onto my head, compressing the pads in the process due to their clamping force and inertia). The noise is very loud and uncomfortable.
Yeah, something not right at all there.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I’ve not noticed anything like that with my v2. The cable is weird, and I can see how it can make some noise when moving around. I replaced it immediately, but no loud noise in the cups when I put them on or take them off.

LancerFIN

Did it have an obvious sound deficiency? When EQ'd to match, my headphones sound great and I measure distortion barely above my noise floor (0.1%) around 100db, plus I didn't see any damage when I removed the pads.
They were fine otherwise I guess. Heard that foil/plastic cracking noise whenever I put the headphones on. Pushing the ear cup against my head would make it sound. Only occasionally I heard it when listening music at loud volume. I used them for couple months like that. Then I sent them to Audeze for fixing.

edahl

I used the RME ADI-2 DAC FS with a borrowed pair of HE6. Punched out 105dBSPL! Have you heard any significant differences outside of headroom?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used the RME ADI-2 DAC FS with a borrowed pair of HE6. Punched out 105dBSPL! Have you heard any significant differences outside of headroom?
No.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Crinkling sound is usually the driver diaphragm flexing from air pressure, try not to do that.
I would try and get a replacement if they are that unbalanced and the driver flex is really bad.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Crinkling sound is usually the driver diaphragm flexing from air pressure, try not to do that.
I would try and get a replacement if they are that unbalanced and the driver flex is really bad.
It doesn't happen with my HE400i 2020, but with the HE6se it happened super quickly (was just slightly pressing on them to assess comfort).
Interestingly I feel like the noise is reduced now, but I don't wanna jinx it. I can push on the cups and move now without it happening too quickly at least. What remains is the extreme channel imbalance. 5db is just not acceptable in any headphones, let alone one in this price class. The right driver also shows elevated distortion in the problematic region, when both are EQ'd to the same target.

vitty0425

Thanks for all the great reviews in this thread and other forums, I just bought the HE6SE V2 (Adorama sale) and they are arriving in a couple of days.

How does one check for channel imbalance other than listening to them? I have a UMIK-1 for measurements if that works?

I also anticipated needing more power so I bought a Singxer SA-1 to see how they will pair. SA-1 taking a couple of weeks to arrive. I still have my RME so for those pairing the HE6SE v1 or v2 with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, with EQ, are you nearing max volume on the RME? How loud does it get before worrying the RME runs out of juice? My typical volume is 65 to 80db. I don't listen over 90db often. 90-95db would be only for maybe one song max.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Thanks for all the great reviews in this thread and other forums, I just bought the HE6SE V2 (Adorama sale) and they are arriving in a couple of days.

How does one check for channel imbalance other than listening to them? I have a UMIK-1 for measurements if that works?

I also anticipated needing more power so I bought a Singxer SA-1 to see how they will pair. SA-1 taking a couple of weeks to arrive. I still have my RME so for those pairing the HE6SE v1 or v2 with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, with EQ, are you nearing max volume on the RME? How loud does it get before worrying the RME runs out of juice? My typical volume is 65 to 80db. I don't listen over 90db often. 90-95db would be only for maybe one song max.
I built a fixture for this using a measurement mic, but you could also just drill a hole through some plywood (just the right size for your mic) and get the mic in there. Put the headphone on, measure one channel, and remove it. Do this 3-5 times and average the results. Then do the same for the other channel.

As for power.. it's fine for regular listening. They won't go super loud, but I can't complain. And I run a 10db bass boost on top of the calibration EQ (Oratory), which adds another -10db to the preamp gain. I can max out my Fireface like that and it won't be super loud, but it's 'loud'. My EX5 drives it pretty hard maxed out, but it's still bearable. Unless you wanna have a lot of headroom for 'impressive demos', I think you'll be fine with your ADI-2.

Top Bottom