• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For the amp - you need about 2-3W of power at <1 ohm output impedance, depending on listening levels.
Everything else is a myth from a time where we didn’t have cheapo amps that could blow a hole in these.

EQ demands on power needs to factored in, too.

I just clipped mine tonight using the Oratory EQ and listening to Daft Punk at moderately loud levels.

Last edited:

Noodles

EQ demands on power needs to factored in, too.

I just clipped mine tonight using the Oratory EQ and listening to Daft Punk at moderately loud levels.
True, however i can attest that my A30 Pro can drive it fine even with EQ, also Jotunheim 2 out of the balanced is plenty as well.
The myth that it needs extreme amounts of power is just that.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
True, however i can attest that my A30 Pro can drive it fine even with EQ, also Jotunheim 2 out of the balanced is plenty as well.
The myth that it needs extreme amounts of power is just that.

Those are pretty extreme amounts of power to me.

Granted, my amp is similar, but those are pretty ridiculous amounts of juice for headphones.

Last edited:

Noodles

Those are pretty extreme amounts of power to me.

Granted, my amp is similar, but those are pretty ridiculous amounts of juice for headphones.
Not according to people that say power them off speaker amps with 40W per channel. Plus they were sitting around noon on the jot2 on high gain. Don’t remember what position I had them on the A30 Pro. Yes that was with EQ at -5dB preamp in EqualizerAPO.
So that’s where the 2-3 W per channel come from.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Not according to people that say power them off speaker amps with 40W per channel. Plus they were sitting around noon on the jot2 on high gain. Don’t remember what position I had them on the A30 Pro.
So that’s where the 2-3 W per channel come from.

I'm still going to try the HE6SE from speaker amp to compare.

Why not?

Noodles

Didn’t say don’t try them, I just said they don’t need it. You can try them off 300W monoblocks and be fine too.
Doesn’t mean they need that much.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Thank god I have a spare FP13000 I can use for my headphones!
jk, my EX5 drives them just fine, even with my typical pre amp gain of -20dB

peniku8

Forum Donor
Measured the headphones again after some more 'burn-in', and as expected, the response did not change in the slightest.
Here is a difference plot between left and right channels, which I'll be sending to Hifiman too:
iU9NPSA.jpg

Will report back when they answered my mail

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Measured the headphones again after some more 'burn-in', and as expected, the response did not change in the slightest.
Here is a difference plot between left and right channels, which I'll be sending to Hifiman too:
iU9NPSA.jpg

You'd have to think one of the drivers is defective in that 1-3k region. Bonkers. Indicates zero QC on each pair before shipping. Not on for the price. Was this the V2? You'd have to think its a conscious decision to reduce tolerances / QC on the V2 to hit the low price point. Mine seem fine but that may be pot luck (or defective ears). Good luck.

peniku8

Forum Donor
You'd have to think one of the drivers is defective in that 1-3k region. Bonkers. Indicates zero QC on each pair before shipping. Not on for the price. Was this the V2? You'd have to think its a conscious decision to reduce tolerances / QC on the V2 to hit the low price point. Mine seem fine but that may be pot luck (or defective ears). Good luck.
I bought the v1. I hate the headband on my HE400i 2020, which was my main motivation behind looking for a replacement. And I also dislike the colour of the v2, which makes it look really cheap imo. The v1 is really comfy, despite its high weight. It melts onto my head and not having pad swivel is not an issue, since they just seem to fit perfectly.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
iU9NPSA.jpg

I forgot to ask, have you verified your measurement rig is not defective in one of the channels - praps by measuring other headphones on it or flipping the HE6se around on it to see if it measures the same? Just as a last sanity check before you send them back.

edahl

iU9NPSA.jpg

That's a good use of a miniDSP-ears set I hadn't thought about, checking channel matching.

peniku8

Forum Donor
I forgot to ask, have you verified your measurement rig is not defective in one of the channels - praps by measuring other headphones on it or flipping the HE6se around on it to see if it measures the same? Just as a last sanity check before you send them back.
The measurement rig only has one mic, so I actually do flip the headphones around. Besides that, results are ofc verified by listening :)
Here are my HD650s (with oratory EQ) on the rig:
HwdyHSE.jpg

@edahl the measurements were made on a DIY rig with a speaker measurement mic, which is why the response looks wierd, but channel matching works pretty well.

9RlpqJB.jpg

Vt55HFB.jpg

edahl

The measurement rig only has one mic, so I actually do flip the headphones around. Besides that, results are ofc verified by listening :)
HwdyHSE.jpg

@edahl the measurements were made on a DIY rig with a speaker measurement mic, which is why the response looks wierd, but channel matching works pretty well.

9RlpqJB.jpg

Vt55HFB.jpg
Creative! Did you make that?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
HwdyHSE.jpg

9RlpqJB.jpg

Vt55HFB.jpg

How do you flip the headphones on this? Just flipping to the other side may not produce an equivalent measurement between left and right since the foam is angled front to back.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Creative! Did you make that?
I did make that, yes :)

How do you flip the headphones on this? Just flipping to the other side may not produce an equivalent measurement between left and right since the foam is angled front to back.
I just take them off and flip them by 180°. The fixture is symmetrical, so it shouldn't matter if the driver is angled to the front or the back.
Like I mentioned earlier, I made a compensation EQ based on these measurements and confirmed the findings by ear. I also measured my HE400i 2020 on this fixture, which have similarly angled pads, which produced good results (not perfect channel matching, but miles better than these).
When I disable my compensation EQ for the right channel, vocals pan from center to the left.
I also take 3 measurements of each channel (removing the headphones from the fixture between each measurement) and average them to get an even better result. Deviation between these measurements is typically within fractions of a dB, these for example were +-0.1db through most of the range, since the pads seal well and are easy to align with the circles.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
HiFi Man QC being what it is, I'm never going to be able to EQ my HE6SE's correctly unless I measure my specific sample.

Arrrggh.

Skinner001

HiFi Man QC being what it is, I'm never going to be able to EQ my HE6SE's correctly unless I measure my specific sample.

Arrrggh.
First they were famous for QC issues, then with some of the revisions they seemed to have fixed stuff (my Sundara and Arya seem quite good) and now it rears it's ugly head again. And just to add it here as well - they just can't provide one single decent cable it seems :D - though at least they don't use proprietary connectors so getting aftermarket cables at a good price is not too big of an issue.

Time and time again I get reminded that Sennheiser builds stuff mostly from plastic, does not look of feel premium, and yet most of their stuff lasts for years - so many companies have issues with these basic things. Build and channel balance - at least get that right.

Top Bottom