• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My Black Friday 61% discount V1's arrived yesterday.

I haven't opened them yet as the replacement cable I ordered from Periapt hasn't arrived yet.

edahl

Thanks for all the great reviews in this thread and other forums, I just bought the HE6SE V2 (Adorama sale) and they are arriving in a couple of days.

How does one check for channel imbalance other than listening to them? I have a UMIK-1 for measurements if that works?

I also anticipated needing more power so I bought a Singxer SA-1 to see how they will pair. SA-1 taking a couple of weeks to arrive. I still have my RME so for those pairing the HE6SE v1 or v2 with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, with EQ, are you nearing max volume on the RME? How loud does it get before worrying the RME runs out of juice? My typical volume is 65 to 80db. I don't listen over 90db often. 90-95db would be only for maybe one song max.
I measured 105 dBSPL on max volume with EQ with an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. In short I had no issue with volume.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The cables aren't that bad, just a bit weird, like surgical tubing. Every other HiFiMan can I've owned though, cables were garbage. Short, stiff and useless, for even a desktop setup. And they never lose the memory of being coiled up, always curled like a snake, not waiting to strike, just to annoy.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It took me a while but I realized that I don't really like the HE-6SE V2. It lacks excitement IMO (even with EQ).

I'm considering selling these and buying the Dan Clark Aeon X open from Drop. It seems they are almost exactly the same cans as the Aeon RT Amir has reviewed. Anybody has any thoughts?
I guess that's my problem, I can't really define what I mean by "excitement". I can say though that my focal clear MG is a lot more fun to listen to, but I don't know if it's all in my head. Maybe it's frequency response, spatial effects, driver positioning, etc. I think the bass of the focals are more "punchy" and it sounds more open, that much I can say.

The Aeon X costs $200-300 less as well, so it seems I'll be at least saving some money. Have you listened to both? Which one do you prefer, subjectively speaking?
You'd be best off experimenting with EQ based around solid measurements of the headphones you own. Best bet is hopefully you have one or more headphone models that have been measured by Oratory, you'd then try out his EQ's and compare your different headphones to get a sense of their different potentials, and you might experiment with the different "customisation filters" he offers which are the bass Low Shelf Filter and often times the "shoutiness" 2kHz filter and the "air" 11kHz High Shelf Filter - then you can start seeing the effect of different frequency responses and also the effect of different headphones. Comparing headphones purely at stock without EQ is too much of a Wild West really as the frequency responses are wildly different. EQ is good for enhancing a headphone, but also for gaining a greater understanding. The final variable to consider when doing this is that there is unit to unit variation that will mean that the measurements that are published and the perceptions you have of your model of headphone are influenced by this unit to unit variation - you'd want to choose a headphone with low unit to unit variation if you can if you're gonna be basing your EQ on published measurements, and you'd wanna be choosing low variation headphones too because they'd have better channel matching too which is a bonus for imaging & clarity. Additionally there's a "soundstage" element to consider that seems to be related to the physical construction of the headphone model itself rather than just the measured frequency response, so there's quite a lot to be considered......but for sure definitely don't just rely on comparing headphones at stock, headphones at stock is completely non-sensical, got to experiment with EQ related to measurements to get the best out of them.

EDIT: if you're anything like me you'll find your headphone preference lies with the native "soundstage" abilities of a headphone after EQ has been optimised.

EDIT#2: if you ever go so far as to use Impulcifier or Smyth Realiser, then the only thing that matters would be a low distortion headphone with a smooth stock frequency response, as then the "soundstage" aspect of the physical design is completely removed by the optimised DSP that would tailor to the spatial needs of your own anatomy.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I contacted Hifiman and they claimed the headphones need burn-in time. Since the drivers in headphones don't move much and these are planars, which basically don't move at all, I don't understand how 'burn-in' would change anything. To my understanding manufacturers only tell people that speakers/headphones need burn in, so that they have some time to get used to the new sound signature.
I break-in my woofers, but that's obviously a whole different thing, since you expect these to move several millimeters (and especially newer pro subs have a really stiff suspension, which needs to be loosened-up when they're new).
I also changed the pads, which made basically no difference.
Currently using the headphones with the kinda extreme right channel compensation, but that knocks down the pre-amp gain another 5db (because I need to boost 1.8k by that amount), so the maximum loudness is extremely limited, even on my Topping EX5 in high gain mode. I hope Hifiman can send me a replacement diaphragm or something, this would be the easiest for me, as I don't really wanna go through the trouble of sending these back and forth..
If you're really not happy with them, then bite the bullet early and see if you can get a replacement, don't stress about fixing a bad situation. (That's assuming a replacement is likely to be better, as long as you know that unit to unit variation is good on that model). Send it back for another.

vitty0425

I built a fixture for this using a measurement mic, but you could also just drill a hole through some plywood (just the right size for your mic) and get the mic in there. Put the headphone on, measure one channel, and remove it. Do this 3-5 times and average the results. Then do the same for the other channel.

As for power.. it's fine for regular listening. They won't go super loud, but I can't complain. And I run a 10db bass boost on top of the calibration EQ (Oratory), which adds another -10db to the preamp gain. I can max out my Fireface like that and it won't be super loud, but it's 'loud'. My EX5 drives it pretty hard maxed out, but it's still bearable. Unless you wanna have a lot of headroom for 'impressive demos', I think you'll be fine with your ADI-2.
Maybe I should have waited and tested it on my own system before ordering a new amp. Looks like I might be able to get by with the RME only. But knowing me I've always been a "more headroom is always better" coming from car audio :).
I measured 105 dBSPL on max volume with EQ with an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. In short I had no issue with volume.
Thanks! That is plenty loud lol. Would depend on the music track but I assume that is the during the peaks and not the average?

peniku8

Forum Donor
I always automatically assume that everybody is always using EQ to flatten their headphone response. I can't understand how someone would spend any amount of money on headphones and then not try to get the most out of it. Even the HE6 and the HD650 sound pretty bad to me when I turn off the EQ...
To come back to the sense of "excitement", I can relate to that. I get it from my speakers, but missed it on my HE400i 2020. I increased Oratory's 10k high shelf to +2db (from 0.5) and it got closer to what I thought was lacking, but any more was making it too bright instead of bringing any more excitement. The HE6se come closer to my speakers at least, but still not 100% hit the mark. I wonder if this is caused by cancellations similar to what we actually see in the measurements, what doesn't occur when listening to speakers.

If you're really not happy with them, then bite the bullet early and see if you can get a replacement, don't stress about fixing a bad situation. (That's assuming a replacement is likely to be better, as long as you know that unit to unit variation is good on that model). Send it back for another.
Well I posted the measurements above, 5db of difference between left and right ear is unacceptable to me. They do sound fine (with EQ that matches the channels), but this kind of defect is not something I want to have in headphones I own. But you're right, I should just return them and hope for a pair with good channel matching. Maybe I can get one which is as good as my HD650 in that regard :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always automatically assume that everybody is always using EQ to flatten their headphone response. I can't understand how someone would spend any amount of money on headphones and then not try to get the most out of it. Even the HE6 and the HD650 sound pretty bad to me when I turn off the EQ...
To come back to the sense of "excitement", I can relate to that. I get it from my speakers, but missed it on my HE400i 2020. I increased Oratory's 10k high shelf to +2db (from 0.5) and it got closer to what I thought was lacking, but any more was making it too bright instead of bringing any more excitement. The HE6se come closer to my speakers at least, but still not 100% hit the mark. I wonder if this is caused by cancellations similar to what we actually see in the measurements, what doesn't occur when listening to speakers.

Well I posted the measurements above, 5db of difference between left and right ear is unacceptable to me. They do sound fine (with EQ that matches the channels), but this kind of defect is not something I want to have in headphones I own. But you're right, I should just return them and hope for a pair with good channel matching. Maybe I can get one which is as good as my HD650 in that regard :)
Yeah, send those mothers back! In fact show them your measurements! You're dropping that much money on these headphones, they should have better channel matching. And if you think about it.....if you do show them your measurements, then that might actually spur them on to cherry pick a headphone for you? You're not messing & not to be fooled!

Last edited:

peniku8

Forum Donor
Yeah, send those mothers back! In fact show them your measurements! You're dropping that much money on these headphones, they should have better channel matching. And if you think about it.....if you do show them your measurements, then that might actually spur them on to cherry pick a headphone for you? You're not messing & not to be fooled!
Your comment reads like sarcasm, so I'm not sure if you think I'm overreacting/nitpicking or if you're actually enthusiastically supporting my case, but I will probably send them the measurements to show them that there is an actual issue at hand and it's not just my brain fooling me. Them cherrypicking one for me would be amazing for sure lol

Luke Lemke

You'd be best off experimenting with EQ based around solid measurements of the headphones you own. Best bet is hopefully you have one or more headphone models that have been measured by Oratory, you'd then try out his EQ's and compare your different headphones to get a sense of their different potentials, and you might experiment with the different "customisation filters" he offers which are the bass Low Shelf Filter and often times the "shoutiness" 2kHz filter and the "air" 11kHz High Shelf Filter - then you can start seeing the effect of different frequency responses and also the effect of different headphones. Comparing headphones purely at stock without EQ is too much of a Wild West really as the frequency responses are wildly different. EQ is good for enhancing a headphone, but also for gaining a greater understanding. The final variable to consider when doing this is that there is unit to unit variation that will mean that the measurements that are published and the perceptions you have of your model of headphone are influenced by this unit to unit variation - you'd want to choose a headphone with low unit to unit variation if you can if you're gonna be basing your EQ on published measurements, and you'd wanna be choosing low variation headphones too because they'd have better channel matching too which is a bonus for imaging & clarity. Additionally there's a "soundstage" element to consider that seems to be related to the physical construction of the headphone model itself rather than just the measured frequency response, so there's quite a lot to be considered......but for sure definitely don't just rely on comparing headphones at stock, headphones at stock is completely non-sensical, got to experiment with EQ related to measurements to get the best out of them.

EDIT: if you're anything like me you'll find your headphone preference lies with the native "soundstage" abilities of a headphone after EQ has been optimised.

EDIT#2: if you ever go so far as to use Impulcifier or Smyth Realiser, then the only thing that matters would be a low distortion headphone with a smooth stock frequency response, as then the "soundstage" aspect of the physical design is completely removed by the optimised DSP that would tailor to the spatial needs of your own anatomy.
Very good points. I've always played around with EQ based on my own ears. As of yesterday, I've started to test Oratory's presets. I'm comparing right now the DT 1990 vs. the T1, both EQ'd to Harman. They sound very similar, but I hear much more "presence" from the DT1990. It still sounds much more intimate than the T1 (probably because of the angled drivers of the T1). I think you're right, soundstage is the main differences between headphones in general after proper EQ.

I still think the DT1990 has a more punchy bass than the T1, even after EQ. Not sure why...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your comment reads like sarcasm, so I'm not sure if you think I'm overreacting/nitpicking or if you're actually enthusiastically supporting my case, but I will probably send them the measurements to show them that there is an actual issue at hand and it's not just my brain fooling me. Them cherrypicking one for me would be amazing for sure lol
Definitely not sarcasm, I was being serious, I think you should send them back, and you've got the measurements to show it.

Very good points. I've always played around with EQ based on my own ears. As of yesterday, I've started to test Oratory's presets. I'm comparing right now the DT 1990 vs. the T1, both EQ'd to Harman. They sound very similar, but I hear much more "presence" from the DT1990. It still sounds much more intimate than the T1 (probably because of the angled drivers of the T1). I think you're right, soundstage is the main differences between headphones in general after proper EQ.

I still think the DT1990 has a more punchy bass than the T1, even after EQ. Not sure why...
For your last point there, it might be some unit to unit variation or pad wear that is changing the frequency response, so it might not be exactly the same frequency response after you've EQ'd both headphones, even if they're EQ'd to the same target curve. But that's the best we can do, we can't account for unit to unit variation beyond buying a headphone or brand that has been proven to have had low variation in the past - this is really quite an important variable which I've latched onto & realised the significance thereof in the last year.

Last edited:

OkPsychology

I contacted Hifiman and they claimed the headphones need burn-in time. Since the drivers in headphones don't move much and these are planars, which basically don't move at all, I don't understand how 'burn-in' would change anything. To my understanding manufacturers only tell people that speakers/headphones need burn in, so that they have some time to get used to the new sound signature.
I break-in my woofers, but that's obviously a whole different thing, since you expect these to move several millimeters (and especially newer pro subs have a really stiff suspension, which needs to be loosened-up when they're new).
I also changed the pads, which made basically no difference.
Currently using the headphones with the kinda extreme right channel compensation, but that knocks down the pre-amp gain another 5db (because I need to boost 1.8k by that amount), so the maximum loudness is extremely limited, even on my Topping EX5 in high gain mode. I hope Hifiman can send me a replacement diaphragm or something, this would be the easiest for me, as I don't really wanna go through the trouble of sending these back and forth..
I'd be willing to bet you have a stuck driver. There's a pretty in-depth conversation going on about this on hf these days. I have 2 pairs of these things with this issue (total of 4 drivers that are not working properly now). About to get in touch with Hifiman to see what can be done about it. You should take the grills off and see if there's any space between the diaphragm and the bar-shaped magnets. It's easy to see the shadow from the magnet disappear to nil from the edge of the driver to where it's sticking (more toward the center area). Report back!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be willing to bet you have a stuck driver. There's a pretty in-depth conversation going on about this on hf these days. I have 2 pairs of these things with this issue (total of 4 drivers that are not working properly now). About to get in touch with Hifiman to see what can be done about it. You should take the grills off and see if there's any space between the diaphragm and the bar-shaped magnets. It's easy to see the shadow from the magnet disappear to nil from the edge of the driver to where it's sticking (more toward the center area). Report back!
@peniku8 , don't risking F'ing up your headphones if you're gonna send them back, just send them back. (if you're confident you won't damage them in any way so they know that you haven't tinkered with the headphone, then ok)

OkPsychology

@peniku8 , don't risking F'ing up your headphones if you're gonna send them back, just send them back. (if you're confident you won't damage them in any way so they know that you haven't tinkered with the headphone, then ok)
You'd have to be pretty inept to F up your HE6se's by simply removing the retaining ring and grills to inspect the drivers. It requires no tools other than your fingernail, and takes all of 10 seconds to complete. Virtually no risk of damage whatsoever.

peniku8

Forum Donor
I wasn't too interested in opening them up, since no fix was mentioned, only a possible diagnosis, but if it's really that easy I might as well...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
There may be more than one. Mine came from the first round with the speaker amp adapter and the second pair of pads. Oratory measured on and he said sensitivity was 96dB/V for that pair and they didn't come with the amp adapter and pads.

Just got mine.

No speaker adapter.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thanks for the weight graph. It helps.
For some reason, the two last HDs you tested were on the expensive side of the market. A lot of money for that kind of performance on your bench.
($8,000 and $1,800). If that would be a HD for up to $200, I could understand your say about the recommendation. But for this kind of mpney,
I would accept better performance. VFM wish, the high price kind of dwarf the performance...

I just paid $699, new, for HE6SE V1 via Black Friday sale.

At that price, I think they're a good value.

Noodles

My Mjolnir 2 is rated for 5W into 50 ohms.

The back-ordered Freya 3+ is rated for 4W into 50 ohms.

So they should have a chance, I think.

If not, there is always that crazy speaker adapter.
For the amp - you need about 2-3W of power at <1 ohm output impedance, depending on listening levels.
Everything else is a myth from a time where we didn’t have cheapo amps that could blow a hole in these.

Top Bottom