• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs AP80 pro.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Has anyone come across any measurements of the Hidizs AP80 pro?

iu

There are plenty of subjective reviews out there, but having hung around on ASR for a while, I've come to view those as virtually worthless.

Chances are it's fine, and having tried several of those on-line tests comparing music files of varying bit/sample rates has dissavowed me of any notion that I am a golden eared audiophile, and not a cloth eared duffer. However, it would be nice to know it's not a lemon. :)

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have not seen any independent measurements of it, so I cannot help you there, sorry. I own a copy of the AP 80 Pro, and I can assure you it is not a lemon. The sound quality is excellent, crystal clear and firm (I only use the 2.5mm balanced output), to echo the subjective reviews you could find online. I would be afraid to do a DBT in SQ between this DAP and my iBasso DX300, because it would be kinda galling to find out I paid about eight times as much for the DX300 without any gain in SQ. Hidizs lists the SINAD as about 96.5 dB, and I see no reason to doubt them. The DX300 is similarly self-measured by iBasso to have a SINAD of 113 dB, dropping to 107 dB on a 32 ohm load when outfitted with Amp 12 which is what I have.

The build quality and industrial design are very fine (I got the attractive red color), the buttons and wheel and the player itself have a good feel to them. The display is sharp and responsive, and uses most of the available space on the front. The size is perfect; highly pocketable and lightweight; any smaller and the display would become annoying to my clumsy fingers for navigation. The shortcomings of this DAP are (a) no internal memory available to user, and (b) it is fixed-function, runs HiBy OS with no option for installing Android apps, and no streaming service apps installed. The latter shortcoming could be a deal-breaker, depending on your intended use. Purchaser joe mikol has some good tips in his Amazon review. I just listened to the same songs (FLAC rips) with AP 80 Pro and DX300, and I doubt whether I could tell their sound apart in a DBT, especially since my hearing is diminished due to aging and some damage.

iu

There are plenty of subjective reviews out there, but having hung around on ASR for a while, I've come to view those as virtually worthless.

Chances are it's fine, and having tried several of those on-line tests comparing music files of varying bit/sample rates has dissavowed me of any notion that I am a golden eared audiophile, and not a cloth eared duffer. However, it would be nice to know it's not a lemon. :)

Last edited:

quadrobust

I see that it has a fixed band graphic EQ. When you use it as a USB DAC, would you be able to activate the EQ?

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see that it has a fixed band graphic EQ. When you use it as a USB DAC, would you be able to activate the EQ?
No idea, sorry. I cannot imagine why the EQ would not apply in USB DAC mode, but I do not use the EQ, so I cannot really say.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I'm still humming and harring about it, I like that its so tiny, but do I really need it in addition to my phone and a dongle. :)

quadrobust

I'm still humming and harring about it, I like that its so tiny, but do I really need it in addition to my phone and a dongle. :)
Based on the measurements and my own comparison, the apple USB-C dongle is just as good if not better than the Hidizs in terms of power, SINAD and (subjective) sound quality. If you have a computer or phone with subpar headphone out, the AP80 pro will be an upgrade. It can also function as a USB DAC so that is a plus.

karthik7000

iu

The frame of the player feels really too little to bear a 4.4. Well they kinda provided it with OH80 amp. It is a good match with AP80Pro letting it drive smoothly more demanding iems (Oriolus Isabellae, UM 3DT). I will try AP80Pro - X with that too, some day.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I'd forgotten about this thread.

I did get an AP80 pro in the end. I've no means of measuring objectively, but using lugholes v1.0, it sounds absolutely fine to me and I really like how small it is; although, obviously, it does mean that the screen and the text is also tiny.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd forgotten about this thread.

I did get an AP80 pro in the end. I've no means of measuring objectively, but using lugholes v1.0, it sounds absolutely fine to me and I really like how small it is; although, obviously, it does mean that the screen and the text is also tiny.
Does it get more use than phone plus dongle? If so, why?

Ive owned and never really used so many DAPs once I a) started streaming and B) realised a phone plus good dongle was probably technically better (plus can eq on uapp).

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Does it get more use than phone plus dongle? If so, why?
I have a phone and a dongle. This was fine, but then the USB C socket on the phone started playing up. A different cable helped, but it was still a litte iffy.

I was woried that if I kept using the phone with the dongle, the USB socket would continue to get worse and eventually fail completely and render the entire phone useless once I was no longer able to charge it or transfer data to and from it.

I had an Android tablet in which the USB socket failed. I opened it to see if I could repair it, but I didn't have the tools for the tiny surface mount solder connections, so the whole thing effectively became E-waste. I could possibly have had it repaired by someone else, but this would not likely be economical.

It seems to be the nature of most modern electronics, the failure of one component renders the whole thing useless, in this case a USB socket worth a few pence. :rolleyes:

Had the USB socket been through hole, rather than surface mount, or even better, some sort of internal connector that allowed easy replacement I would still be using it.

Some manufacturers are starting to make things more repairable:

I hope it's a trend that catches on.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a phone and a dongle. This was fine, but then the USB C socket on the phone started playing up. A different cable helped, but it was still a litte iffy.

I was woried that if I kept using the phone with the dongle, the USB socket would continue to get worse and eventually fail completely and render the entire phone useless once I was no longer able to charge it or transfer data to and from it.

I had an Android tablet in which the USB socket failed. I opened it to see if I could repair it, but I didn't have the tools for the tiny surface mount solder connections, so the whole thing effectively became E-waste. I could possibly have had it repaired by someone else, but this would not likely be economical.

It seems to be the nature of most modern electronics, the failure of one component renders the whole thing useless, in this case a USB socket worth a few pence. :rolleyes:

Had the USB socket been through hole, rather than surface mount, or even better, some sort of internal connector that allowed easy replacement I would still be using it.

Makes sense- Ive luckily never had a connector go wrong but I can see the concern about increasing frequency of connection. That and the power drain are good reasons for DAPs, as is a preference for physical controls.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I highly endorse Google Drive as a means of transferring data to and from one's phone without the need for USB. Just for future reference.

I try never to use hard wire to transfer files. Those tiny connections fail too frequently.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I highly endorse Google Drive as a means of transferring data to and from one's phone without the need for USB. Just for future reference.

I try never to use hard wire to transfer files. Those tiny connections fail too frequently.
Yes, I could conceivably use that or wi-fi to move data about, but when the connector breaks to the point you can no longer charge the device, you're scuppered.

agnimukha

The frame of the player feels really too little to bear a 4.4. Well they kinda provided it with OH80 amp. It is a good match with AP80Pro letting it drive smoothly more demanding iems (Oriolus Isabellae, UM 3DT). I will try AP80Pro - X with that too, some day.
Please give me the full review after trying ap80 pro

karthik7000

iu

I've been seeing Hidizs grow from a modest domestic single-product startup to an internationally recognised portable HiFi gear brand over the past few years. My knowledge spans all aspects of their audio technology, including the AP100, AP200, AP60, AP60Pro, AP80 DAPs, all IEMs, cable DAC converters, stand-alone DACs, and so on. I can't say that everyone of them had perfect performances, but none of them failed to meet audio quality requirements. I still adore my old AP100 and find the AP80 to be the most practical. Hidizs was also the first to use HiBy OS with its superb HiBy link option, which has since become the gold standard for a variety of contemporary DAPs from other vendors.

charleski

Major Contributor
I had an Android tablet in which the USB socket failed.
This is a bit of a tangent, but the USB C socket on my phone started acting up about six months ago. I managed to rescue it by cutting up an old credit card to create a plastic pick, squirted some contact cleaner into the socket and then used the pick to rub the contacts inside vigorously. I had to repeat this two or three times, but since then it's been working flawlessly. I suspect some sticky gunge from my pocket got into it and fouled the connection. Worth a try before tossing it in the bin, since replacing the connector is, as you say, virtually impossible.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
This is a bit of a tangent, but the USB C socket on my phone started acting up about six months ago. I managed to rescue it by cutting up an old credit card to create a plastic pick, squirted some contact cleaner into the socket and then used the pick to rub the contacts inside vigorously. I had to repeat this two or three times, but since then it's been working flawlessly. I suspect some sticky gunge from my pocket got into it and fouled the connection. Worth a try before tossing it in the bin, since replacing the connector is, as you say, virtually impossible.
I don't think it was dirt in this case; I gave it a squirt with some Deoxit, but it didn't seem to do much.

agnimukha

Mqa technology of this DAC is very impressive. Conceptkart help me to guide ap80 pro

Oscarilbo

Hi.
Has anyone used this player (or de updated Pro X version) just as a transport of the clean Hi-Res signal to an external DAC vía its USB output? It says in the description the USB input/output can be used as a SPIDF source. Is that right?

gerG

Hi.
Has anyone used this player (or de updated Pro X version) just as a transport of the clean Hi-Res signal to an external DAC vía its USB output? It says in the description the USB input/output can be used as a SPIDF source. Is that right?
I don't know about the s/pdif part. That would be handy. Well, maybe. Right now I have one plugged into an smsl m500 via USB feeding it ALAC files at 44.1khz, and it works fine. The only quirk is that I have to turn the volume all the way up on the AP80 (pro-x version) to get a full level signal out. Setting the line out option does not work for the USB output. It may be called something else and I just haven't found it.
The gui on this thing is, um, quirky. I haven't used it enough to understand all of the nuances, and I keep getting stuck in a useless album art screen. I have to swipe around randomly until I magically get back to a screen with a back arrow. It really needs a back button. Other than that it works great. It is a fantastic match for the Ety Evos.

Top Bottom