• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me explain my REW results for a Goldring cartridge

dhparker

I took some REW measurements of an Ortofon test record (Frequency Sweep 800hz to 50Khz, left & right channels) and got some interesting results. The cartridge is a new (< 2 weeks) Goldring Ethos SE cartridge. I haven't done this before with any other vinyl source, so not sure if this is normal or not.

I have tried redoing the catridge alignment from scratch, changed anti-skate settings, turned off RIAA, and tried the Mono setting on the phono. preamp (just looked like the right channel). I have also confirmed it is not room treatment, as I did a standard sweep within REW and it looked "normal".

Is the cartridge faulty - or is this normal? The cartridge sounds good.. but it is new, so wondering if it is also break-in related.

Left Channel:

GoldringLeftSweep.jpg

Right Channel:
GoldringRightSweep.jpg

DSJR

Major Contributor
Never ever seen a pickup response like this I have to say. Hopefully someone can help you.. This Goldring should have a reasonably flat response, 'restrained' up top if anyong by a dB or two from memory.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That measurement is just wrong. If you want to measure the cartridge, just look at the script available in this subforum.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I have also confirmed it is not room treatment,
I'm pretty sure you can make an REW measurement electrically, eliminating the room & speakers.

The cartridge sounds good..
Then the measurements are wrong! ;)

I'm not sure how useful the measurements will be unless you are comparing cartridges, or unless you are trying to tweak load capacitance or something like that. Records vary and test records vary too. You measure how good it is with the Ortofon record. ;) I wonder if Goldring uses the Ortofon record as its standard?

OP
D

dhparker

I tried switching cartridges (from a Goldring Ethos SE to a Rega Ania Pro) - and got a very similar pattern - so I've concluded it must be the Ortofon test record that is misleading. Lesson learned..

Thanks for all of the suggetsions.. that script looks like a cool option too..

Dave

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried switching cartridges (from a Goldring Ethos SE to a Rega Ania Pro) - and got a very similar pattern - so I've concluded it must be the Ortofon test record that is misleading. Lesson learned..

Thanks for all of the suggetsions.. that script looks like a cool option too..

Dave
The Ortofon test record may have some flaws, but its typical response is like below:

index.php

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I took some REW measurements of an Ortofon test record (Frequency Sweep 800hz to 50Khz, left & right channels) and got some interesting results. The cartridge is a new (< 2 weeks) Goldring Ethos SE cartridge. I haven't done this before with any other vinyl source, so not sure if this is normal or not.

I have tried redoing the catridge alignment from scratch, changed anti-skate settings, turned off RIAA, and tried the Mono setting on the phono. preamp (just looked like the right channel). I have also confirmed it is not room treatment, as I did a standard sweep within REW and it looked "normal".

Is the cartridge faulty - or is this normal? The cartridge sounds good.. but it is new, so wondering if it is also break-in related.

Left Channel:

View attachment 356428

Right Channel:
View attachment 356429
This is obviously wrong, you cannot record a vinyl sweep directly into REW. What you are seen seems to be a frequency window snapshot , not a true sweep. You must record the whole sweep, edit off the ends and IMPORT the file , and then apply appropriate eq to linearize. For pink Noise or sweep that would be a 10db/decade downward sliping calibration file,for Ortofon that is if you record without RIAA EQ, with RIAA you need to invert that too. Use the script instead…

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
REW is NOT designed to do what you want it to do.
So the measurement is 'correct' but cannot be used to show what you want it to show.

Top Bottom