• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW + USB cable = to high level of distortion in right channel - strrrange

Darek K

Hi.

My desktop setup is in a corner of my room.
Right speaker is in the corner.
My audio system consist of computer ->usb cable -> dac-> rca cables -> power amp and speakers (Cambridge Audio SX50).

Because of curiosity I decided to measure speakers seperately.
Measurment of left speaker was ok.
But when I was trying to measure right speaker, in the middle of measurment audio signal was disabled/cut and at the end of measurment appears warning window
1708521201256.png

Green line is the result of measurment.
1708523089450.png

I was trying to do next measurment but result was the same.
My next idea was to swap channels in DAC, just rca left plug to right socket in dac and vice versa.
In REW measuring window I swap output channels and to right speaker goes signal from left channel.

It HELPS, right speaker measurment was ok without warning window and it looks normally - this is purple line.

My next movement was to connect computer and DAC with optical cable.
In this case left channel goes to left speaker and right channel to right speaker (normally).
It helps too.

My next movement was to change usb cable.
It not helps, warning window appears in right channel.

Next movement was to replace speakers with different speakers (from Sony CMT-SX7).
It helps too - right speaker gives good measurment.

And I am stuck.
Why usb connection + particulary CA-SX50 produces bad signal in right channel?

If You need additional clarification - please ask, english is my foreign language.

Thank You
Darek

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How long is the USB cable? Whenever I use one over 6ft it causes audible issues with a DAC.

OP
D

Darek K

+/- 1m = 3ft

When I'm home I'll try swap channels again and see if the errors have moved from the right channel to the left.
I will also connect another DAC and check other USB cables.

Thank You.
You encourage me to try different solutions (indeed differetn usb cables)

JohnPM

Technical Expert
Some DACs mute both outputs if the left channel is silent. Try selecting "Fill silence with dither" in the Options on the Measure dialog.

Top Bottom