• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP FLEX/REW Acoustic Timing Reference - Two impulses in a single sweep?

Calypso1

MiniDSP FLEX and REW - Assistance needed. I am trying to setup one speaker as a timing reference, however despite all the changes in configuration and REW settings I continue to get two impulses for a single sweep. I also setup REW on my Mac and ran it from there but to no avail, two pulses observed. Also, tried switching the timing reference from the left to the right speaker, also no change.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• MeasurementSettings.JPG
    MeasurementSettings.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 33
  • MiniDSP_Config.JPG
    MiniDSP_Config.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 28
  • REWPreferences.JPG
    REWPreferences.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 33
  • TwoImpluses.jpg
    TwoImpluses.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 30

Broma15

Hello Calypso.

I remember having this once, when i switched back from loopback measurement to acoustic timing ref. I forgot about the connection between IN/OUT.
And
Are you measuring close to a wall?
1710606452546.png

For me it is looking like this, when i place the microphone 20cm away from the back wall. For this measurement i used the settings you showed.

B.

Last edited:
OP
C

Calypso1

Hello Calypso.

I remember having this once, when i switched back from loopback measurement to acoustic timing ref. I forgot about the connection between IN/OUT.
And
Are you measuring close to a wall?
View attachment 356870
For me it is looking like this, when i place the microphone 20cm away from the back wall. For this measurement i used the settings you showed.

B.
Yes, I am measuring close to a wall so I will try moving the mic away to see if there is any change. Which measurement setting were you using, loop back or acoustic reference?

OP
C

Calypso1

Ok, I moved the speaker inwards (away from wall) and moved the mic (away from wall) and it has had an effect. I changed the scale and correctly if I am wrong, but it almost looks like a reflection as it repeats itself. See attachment.

Attachments

• TwoImpluses.jpg
    TwoImpluses.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 17

Broma15

Ok, you moved the speaker and the mic. For transparent measurement its good to change only one by time. You now have different reflection from the speaker in your measurement.

Last edited:

Broma15

If your listening place is close to the backwall you could use a blanket on the wall for measurement, to lower the reflection.
But you should be ok now, using timing reference.
And your measurements are good examples how reflections behave.

OP
C

Calypso1

Ok, you moved the speaker and the mic. For transparent measurement its good to change only one by time. You now have different reflection from the speaker in your measurement.
Apologies, I did in fact just move the mic, then speaker to see the changes. I posted only the version where both were moved. I will moved back slowly to the starting position and use something "pillows" to absorb some of the energy that later leads to the reflection. Thanks.

OP
C

Calypso1

@Broma15 - Setup a few pillows behind the mic, re-measured, calculated the delays, inserted back in MiniDSP, re-measured, See attached impulse of the left and right speaker impulses overlaid.

Attachments

• ImpluseAlignment-DelaysAdded.jpg
    ImpluseAlignment-DelaysAdded.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 19

Broma15

I am not an expert but i think you did good, when your goal was to time align them.

Top Bottom