• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me decide between Aune x8 magic vs Soncoz la-qxd1

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Aune X8 has switchable opamps, if one likes 20dB boost in treble https://www.aune-store.com/en/aune-x8-schwarz-p5834/?var=true

X8-F6.jpg

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aune X8 has switchable opamps, if one likes 20dB boost in treble https://www.aune-store.com/en/aune-x8-schwarz-p5834/?var=true

X8-F6.jpg
This curve can not be the frequency response it must be distortion for the OP amps or something (hint buy whatever is responsible for the blue or red curve avoid the purple one ) . The specs are not fantastic but good . Without the op amp rolling design it could possibly be even better and cheaper .

But its not the stuff of nigthmares like TotalDac or AudioGD :)

Alec Kinnear

Forum Donor

That's a good point, Juhazi. I only listened to the op amp built in by default, I believe it was the opa2134 (there was one other included with the X8, along with a tool for swapping it). The one inside the X8 was apparently the more relaxed, less analytical of the two available. As I found the sound already analytical I didn't swap the opamp. I know that I prefer a treble rolloff (hearing still goes up to 14 kHz – tested): I've been able to indulge that preference without EQing all music all the time by choosing a Musical Fidelity VDAC II twelve years ago and upgrading to a V90 seven years ago.

Given my taste for treble rolloff, either the red or the green of the above would probably suit me best. I'm surprised that there's a rebound in both cases from 10 kHz to 20 kHz. Usually a treble rolloff carries on smoothly from where it starts.

The idea of giving buyers the opportunity to tweak the sound curve is generally a good one, unless the goal of the specific DAC is not reference (Benchmark, RME ADI-2 DACs). Since I know my tastes (no sharp treble, smooth voices, very limited grain), I seek out DACs which make my music listening pleasurable and inspiring (that's the whole point of music). As competent modern DACs even with a sonic signature are pretty close to reference neutrality (as @velasfloyd correctly pointed out), there's no harm in choosing a DAC which leans in the direction of one's own taste.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With the Soncoz you have balanced out, if that is a factor for you. If not, the op-amp changes you can make in the X8 stand to make it more customizable and perhaps more tailored to your preferred sound experience. Of course that will add to the cost. The Soncoz does not come with a power supply, so you need to purchase one or use your phone charging device, or DIY one. There is no remote on either, and no headphone out. I would also look at the new Khadas Tone2 Pro. I am juggling in my mind those 3 and it is a tough choice.

Venco

I had a Aune X8 here for testing against a Topping D50s. Musical Fidelity V90 was here for reference (long term DAC). The X8 has a lovely volume knob but the sound was somewhat thin vs the Topping D50s, when using both of them as DAC/pre-amp. Vocals on the Musical Fidelity V90 beat had less grain than either of these, albeit the MF V90 must be used with a pre-amp in front of it. The V90 doesn't go higher than 96 kHz and doesn't do DSP. Neither of those really matter to me, although I've had some pleasant experiences with a Topping E30 at 384 kHz PCM. The E30 doesn't suffer from the same grain in vocals (yes I listen to a lot of vocal music). Have considerable difficulty picking a favourite between the E30 and V90. Both have a wider soundstage than either the D50s or the X8.

Returning to the Aune X8, it's a wonderful looking unit, with a great tactile and well-geared volume knob and a handy simultaneous line out. Sound quality is fine and would be fine in many systems. In Amir's testing the X8 would do well – there's no particular technical flaw and it approaches the D50s, with just a little less thwack in the bass. If the X8 sounded richer with less grain on the vocals it would be the most wonderful DAC/pre-amp on the market. It should be noted that the X8, unlike many pre-amplifiers, maximum output is the same as a DAC used as pre-amp: 2v, i.e. normal line-out signal. There's no additional amplification in the pre-amp or head room at the top, which can be an issue when powering amps expecting a stronger line in signal. I often had the volume knob at up to 3 o'clock while with most of my pre-amps I listen at 9 o'clock. The slower calibration on the volume knob is great but strangely there's no headroom on top for peaks, which at louder volumes becomes audible as a thinner sound in comparison to most dedicated pre-amps.

While the form factor with volume knob were exactly what I needed, I very reluctantly decided I couldn't accept less appealing sound in an "upgrade" and parted with my Aune X8.
I am using the x8 magic dac via the usb port with a toshiba laptop windows 7 but I have problems with the usb cable ie it works with a cheap cable while with accuphase the usb cable does not recognize the device. I am connected via a denon 1500r amplifier and I am satisfied with the sound compared to the previous external sound card I used, I listen through quad 22l speakers, the optical and coaxial output work perfectly

Venco

I had a Aune X8 here for testing against a Topping D50s. Musical Fidelity V90 was here for reference (long term DAC). The X8 has a lovely volume knob but the sound was somewhat thin vs the Topping D50s, when using both of them as DAC/pre-amp. Vocals on the Musical Fidelity V90 beat had less grain than either of these, albeit the MF V90 must be used with a pre-amp in front of it. The V90 doesn't go higher than 96 kHz and doesn't do DSP. Neither of those really matter to me, although I've had some pleasant experiences with a Topping E30 at 384 kHz PCM. The E30 doesn't suffer from the same grain in vocals (yes I listen to a lot of vocal music). Have considerable difficulty picking a favourite between the E30 and V90. Both have a wider soundstage than either the D50s or the X8.

Returning to the Aune X8, it's a wonderful looking unit, with a great tactile and well-geared volume knob and a handy simultaneous line out. Sound quality is fine and would be fine in many systems. In Amir's testing the X8 would do well – there's no particular technical flaw and it approaches the D50s, with just a little less thwack in the bass. If the X8 sounded richer with less grain on the vocals it would be the most wonderful DAC/pre-amp on the market. It should be noted that the X8, unlike many pre-amplifiers, maximum output is the same as a DAC used as pre-amp: 2v, i.e. normal line-out signal. There's no additional amplification in the pre-amp or head room at the top, which can be an issue when powering amps expecting a stronger line in signal. I often had the volume knob at up to 3 o'clock while with most of my pre-amps I listen at 9 o'clock. The slower calibration on the volume knob is great but strangely there's no headroom on top for peaks, which at louder volumes becomes audible as a thinner sound in comparison to most dedicated pre-amps.

While the form factor with volume knob were exactly what I needed, I very reluctantly decided I couldn't accept less appealing sound in an "upgrade" and parted with my Aune X8.
I am using the x8 magic dac via the usb port with a toshiba laptop windows 7 but I have problems with the usb cable ie it works with a cheap cable while with accuphase the usb cable does not recognize the device. I am connected via a denon 1500r amplifier and I am satisfied with the sound compared to the previous external sound card I used, I listen through quad 22l speakers, the optical and coaxial output work perfectly

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

I use Aune x8 DAC.
Connected to computer with USB and optical cable. Both working flawlessly, but the computer runs Linux and is configured to output sound via ALSA and not PulseAudio (which resamples everything to 16/44).

The x8 feeds an AUNE x7s headphone amp. And all I can say is : both are producing a sound that satisfies my headphones (Oppo PM-1) superbly. Don't see any reason to switch to something else.

Then again, it is common to read on this forum that a DAC can not have a sound signature. SO just take the ones that has the features you're looking for and that has the looks that compliment the rest of your system the best and that will not empty your wallet and you'll be good to go if you listen to a lot of people in here.
I must say that I have 3 DACs and the differences between them, if any; are rather subtle...

Regards.

Top Bottom