• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me decide a subwoofer for music only and high WAF

OP
S

StefanSweden

The majority of people here seems to think that either SVS modell discussed would suit my need. Thank you all for your contributions! Makes me glad that you guys takes your time and explain things that are obvious to you but not to me as a rank beginner!

I plan to go to a retailer who offers both SVS models and let my wife decide as it seems to be a toss up .. and who knows, it might plant a hifi-seed in her :)

Last edited:

chouca

No idea how they perform but

The Sonos sub is for integration with Sonos systems only.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Recently I turned 40 and was gifted with a pair of Dali Oberon 1 and a Powernode Egde.
Is your wife's DNA available for cloning? You could make a fortune! o_O
(1) Consider the gray linen grilles for the Oberons, I think it would look more interesting with your decor. Then again, the black grilles would match a black subwoofer in the right hand corner if you move the console a bit to the left.
(2) We have an SVS SB-2000 Pro and quite like it.
(2a) https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000-pro-subwoofer
(2b) https://www.svsound.com/products/3000-micro-subwoofer
(2c) You can see the 1000 goes lower. Size matters.
(3) Lower frequencies need larger size: mouses squeak, elephants shake the ground. It's physics. NO, a 12" cone is not too large compared to the 5" woofers in those Dali. A bigger cone moves less at a given sound pressure level = lower distortion. At moderate sound levels, the 3000 Micro or the Dali are likely also fine.
(3b) Buy and try from a vendor with reasonable return shipping and restocking fees.
(4) The Dali are ported, which reinforces the upper bass, but unloads the woofers for very low bass. I highly doubt the POWERNODE Edge has a highpass filter inside (I'd be glad to be wrong). Anyway I would highly recommend blocking off the ports, which will cut out that problem. It may also blend more easily to the sub. Take it from me, I'm a loudspeaker engineer, I only lie when making marketing specs :D

dasdoing

Major Contributor
it still doesn't come across in the video. what sets the Kef Kube apart visualy is that it doesn't even look like a speaker.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Since you are Swedish, check out XTZ. They make good, or actually really good , subwoofers.:)

Available in matte white:

XTZ is a Swedish company:

Edit:
You mentioned SVS SB-1000. In the video below, you may get an idea of the SVS subwoofer vs XTZ 10.17 EDGE in terms of size. None of them are beautiful, but hardly any cube subwoofers are. At least I think so.

Last edited:
OP
S

StefanSweden

Is your wife's DNA available for cloning? You could make a fortune! o_O
(1) Consider the gray linen grilles for the Oberons, I think it would look more interesting with your decor. Then again, the black grilles would match a black subwoofer in the right hand corner if you move the console a bit to the left.
(2) We have an SVS SB-2000 Pro and quite like it.
(2a) https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000-pro-subwoofer
(2b) https://www.svsound.com/products/3000-micro-subwoofer
(2c) You can see the 1000 goes lower. Size matters.
(3) Lower frequencies need larger size: mouses squeak, elephants shake the ground. It's physics. NO, a 12" cone is not too large compared to the 5" woofers in those Dali. A bigger cone moves less at a given sound pressure level = lower distortion. At moderate sound levels, the 3000 Micro or the Dali are likely also fine.
(3b) Buy and try from a vendor with reasonable return shipping and restocking fees.
(4) The Dali are ported, which reinforces the upper bass, but unloads the woofers for very low bass. I highly doubt the POWERNODE Edge has a highpass filter inside (I'd be glad to be wrong). Anyway I would highly recommend blocking off the ports, which will cut out that problem. It may also blend more easily to the sub. Take it from me, I'm a loudspeaker engineer, I only lie when making marketing specs :D

Hold your horses. She is still giving me a hard time with the sub. Let me calibrate her and then we can discuss cloning! :D

Perhaps I use the wrong words for certain things, but please watch this clip about high pass filter and correct me if Im wrong. He is talking about the N330 but it applies to the Edge as far as I understand.

So, I was dead set on SVS (either SB-1000 Pro or Micro) but after watching This vid about a B&W sub that I can buy locally from a vendor, Nemo (the review guy in the vid) said in a conversation I had with him that my Oberons dont pair to well the SVS but more with B&W ASW608 or better yet REL T/7x. The B&W is around 620 € here in Sweden.

Damn, the more I ask the more confused I get o_O then I heard somewhere that all subs have a certain power sweet spot. That it needs to played at a certain volume (or whats it called) for the amp to kick in and in my case a smaller driver and amp would be better?

OP
S

StefanSweden

Since you are Swedish, check out XTZ. They make good, or actually really good , subwoofers.:)

Available in matte white:

XTZ is a Swedish company:

Edit:
You mentioned SVS SB-1000. In the video below, you may get an idea of the SVS subwoofer vs XTZ 10.17 EDGE in terms of size. None of them are beautiful, but hardly any cube subwoofers are. At least I think so.

Thank you for the suggestion!

When I read up on XTZ it seems to be more of a SPL sub for home cinema? I Could be wrong. The price is right and while it comes in white it does looks like a big box. Not to fond of its apperance.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
said in a conversation I had with him that my Oberons dont pair to well the SVS but more with B&W ASW608 or better yet REL T/7x. The B&W is around 620 € here in Sweden.
The REL is overpriced by $500. It’s an 8" single driver sub with passive radiators that can’t get loud or low and doesn’t have the functionality of the dsp of SVS nor the dual opposing to go lower like the micro. If you want an 8 inch sub with low power that rolls off at 40 hz there are a lot of choices around the $400-$600 range. The SVS are the better value

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thank you for the suggestion!

When I read up on XTZ it seems to be more of a SPL sub for home cinema? I Could be wrong. The price is right and while it comes in white it does looks like a big box. Not to fond of its apperance.
That XTZ sub works well for music, but looks are what they are. Like most other commercial subwoofers.;)

Here's another tip on a 10" subwoofer. Now at a great price, an offer: $240

Buy two.

Dynavoice has entered the HiFi market by offering affordable, good HiFi stuff:

Edit:
Maybe goes down to around 30 Hz, which is enough to listen to most music.

Small sealed subwoofers have to work hard. I wouldn't have chosen one with a 180 W amp like it has, but two such pieces can be good. It depends on what volume you usually play at.:)
Edit:
It applies to the entire solution. The amp and speaker driver (in the small box) have to work hard with a small sealed sub. Increased risk of driving the amp into clipping (if there is no built-in limiter) plus the speaker element together with the solution can distort (fortunately we are less sensitive to distortion in the lower registers, but sooner or later the distortion becomes audible).
(amp clipping sounds much worse than speaker distortion, normally)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-01_195834.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-01_195834.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Getting a WAF quality finish on DIY is a tall order for most humans, but the value is undeniable (have built several myself).
Just don't be a jackass and over-do it when you spraypaint, and take your time with the sandpaper. A clean matte white finish is pretty doable for anyone with the patience to do multiple coats of paint.

The nice thing about subs and DIY is the shape of the box doesn't matter very much. So, there are a handful of DIY threads around where people have built subs to fit into small areas. In theory you can do a perfectly good sub that fits under the console there, or in a corner somewhere, even under the couch...

Subs are considered one of the easiest DIY jobs and somewhat worth doing if you have strict WAF requirements, because you can do odd shapes and tuck them into odd spaces.

Something of a similar shape / size to the Sigberg sub can be done for like $500 in parts. The FA251 is around 200 EUR and a suitable sub driver can be had for a similar amount. The remaining question is your woodworking ability and inclination. :)

all subs have a certain power sweet spot. That it needs to played at a certain volume (or whats it called) for the amp to kick in and in my case a smaller driver and amp would be better?

I am not familiar with this principle, it's certainly not true of all subs, not sure which ones it might be true for. SOME subs have a standby mode where they won't turn on without a certain level of input, and SOME of these subs have the threshold set too high. But in general this is not true.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Just don't be a jackass and over-do it when you spraypaint, and take your time with the sandpaper. A clean matte white finish is pretty doable for anyone with the patience to do multiple coats of paint.

The nice thing about subs and DIY is the shape of the box doesn't matter very much. So, there are a handful of DIY threads around where people have built subs to fit into small areas. In theory you can do a perfectly good sub that fits under the console there, or in a corner somewhere, even under the couch...

Subs are considered one of the easiest DIY jobs and somewhat worth doing if you have strict WAF requirements, because you can do odd shapes and tuck them into odd spaces.

Something of a similar shape / size to the Sigberg sub can be done for like $500 in parts. The FA251 is around 200 EUR and a suitable sub driver can be had for a similar amount. The remaining question is your woodworking ability and inclination. :)

I am not familiar with this principle, it's certainly not true of all subs, not sure which ones it might be true for. SOME subs have a standby mode where they won't turn on without a certain level of input, and SOME of these subs have the threshold set too high. But in general this is not true.
But DIY sub is not an option according to OP. Had that been the case, he could build anything. Subwoofer under the couch/sofa, in the cabinet that the speakers are on now and so on.

...even under the couch...Example. Under the sofa subwoofer, see attached pictures (not my sub)

Attachments

• betsad sida_element.jpg
    betsad sida_element.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 89
  • ovandel (1).jpg
    ovandel (1).jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 84
  • subb under soffan.jpg
    subb under soffan.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But DIY sub is not an option according to OP. Had that been the case, he could build anything. Subwoofer under the couch/sofa, in the cabinet that the speakers are on now and so on.

...even under the couch...Example. Under the sofa subwoofer, see attached pictures (not my sub)

Ah I see, too bad. Subs are one of the best applications for DIY these days.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Ah I see, too bad. Subs are one of the best applications for DIY these days.
OT:

Speaking of DIY and building into furniture. One more example. In the heavier division, four BMS 12S305 built-in. Poor neighbors, if the person who has this solution lives in an apartment building. Heh heh.:cool:

8B951D67-6952-444D-BC0C-1E74F1271485 (1).jpeg
9B7B8516-2BEF-48AB-B96E-C42AD3C8525C (1).jpeg

None of the mentioned subs in this thread have a chance against that solution, if you are a bass junkie that is. :)
(that solution is overkill for me, but the taste is like the ass)

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OT:

Speaking of DIY and building into furniture. One more example. In the heavier division, four BMS 12S305 built-in. Poor neighbors, if the person who has this solution lives in an apartment building. Heh heh.:cool:

View attachment 282823View attachment 282824

We need a library of WAF counterexamples like this so we can prove that whatever we're asking for in terms of "damage to overall decor", it's actually quite reasonable when you think about it...

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Yeah, I'm well aware of finishing DIY subs of odd shapes, and all the advantages (and challenges). Below are the 4 that I most recently designed and built and that I'm running right now. The curves and angles on the outside ones were a bitch, but they turned out great, and they fit into small specific places in my small office where no decent commercial subs were going to work... at least not without spending silly money.

IMG_2519.jpeg

Top Bottom