• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hedd introduce their markII range

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hedd introduce their ‘mark II’ range of loudspeakers which include their lineariser.

Keith

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy crap. Some promising details, they lowered the XO and the satin finish looks a lot less rough. And Lineariser means FR is not an issue if off-axis is good. Do you know if there will be any measurements (especially directivity)? I was seriously considering the first Type 07 (superb midwoofer and no midrange rise like the Genelec 8040) but the tweeter seemed a bit rough and off-axis not quite seamless. Will prices stay the same? Are they still using the same IcePower module (not that I'd mind if they did bc that gives a very clearly-defined baseline)?

Very interested because the mid-tier 7-inch active 2-way segment has been a wasteland compared to clear leaders such as the KH80/120 and the 8030 in the size class below.

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
As far as compact 3-ways with digital input go, Type 20 mk2 should be a nice competitor to KH 310 D... Game on !

gparaskevas

I am in for 7x Hedd Type05 for my home theater. They upgraded the amplifiers on the 05 to 100/100 and now they also have DSP on all of them. If the price does not bite then I will go for 7 one they are available.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Maybe I'm dumb, but where can I find detail on this? I can't find anything even on their website. Anyway, my stance is now simple: give exhaustive measurements or get out of my wallet's sight.
And why no LADSPA/LV2 lineariser plugin for UNIX users?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The new range officially launches on the 1st December.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
All the new features appear intelligently implemented. It will give the non-technical crowd a taste for DSP and correct integration, though I still dislike HEDD's refusal to provide detailed measurements.

@KSTR Were you involved this time?

KSTR

Major Contributor
@KSTR Were you involved this time?
No, I left HEDD more than 3yrs ago.
I wish them success with the MKII series as some of the early models had minor design and production glitches, just like what happens in any startup company. Now they've went all digital, which is the way to go these days as DSP -based loudspeaker design techniques are mature by now.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the new features appear intelligently implemented. It will give the non-technical crowd a taste for DSP and correct integration, though I still dislike HEDD's refusal to provide detailed measurements.

The first-gen Type 05 has some independent measurements out. Not really amazing, I was disappointed, especially since the parts and assembly look great and well-built in the teardown. And of course, well-documented ICEPower modules are always welcome. I wonder how much of the raggedness in the tweeter is not really the AMT but diffraction off the very thick grille and many exposed screwheads (which may help repairability but at the expense of performance compared to a seamless waveguide like ADAM).

I really sincerely hope that the driver integration, directivity and AMT performance is much improved (not that worried about on-axis FR with lineariser). I wish HEDD would release at least polars; even Dynaudio and ADAM has more data, let alone the transparent brands like Neumann and Genelec.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I really sincerely hope that the driver integration, directivity and AMT performance is much improved (not that worried about on-axis FR with lineariser). I wish HEDD would release at least polars; even Dynaudio and ADAM has more data, let alone the transparent brands like Neumann and Genelec.
I second that.

Same goes for measurements of CoP performance, now that they're advertising it. I really wonder how tight of a fit they achieve with those inserts and if they are able to control resonance.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hmmm. Is the correction then in software on the host even though they have a DSP in the speaker?

1606942048233.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I'm dumb, but where can I find detail on this? I can't find anything even on their website. Anyway, my stance is now simple: give exhaustive measurements or get out of my wallet's sight.
And why no LADSPA/LV2 lineariser plugin for UNIX users?
Not dumb... rather, Smart and wise.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmmm. Is the correction then in software on the host even though they have a DSP in the speaker?

View attachment 96984
Yeah it's not clear is it? Most setup examples have a DAC in there so correction must be in the host? Also it is not clear if you need to conduct measurements or that it has lookups of the HEDD models that it allows you to select.

LearningToSmile

Yeah it's not clear is it? Most setup examples have a DAC in there so correction must be in the host? Also it is not clear if you need to conduct measurements or that it has lookups of the HEDD models that it allows you to select.
If I understand it correctly it relies on the processing power of the host to achieve that theoretical ruler flat anechoic response(and phase correction) they've shown, but any room EQ needs to be applied independently afterwards. Interesting approach.

I wish it had a built in parametric EQ exposed to the user so you could apply your room correction in one software if needed, but I understand why they didn't do it.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The linearization switch is on the speaker so it seems the processing is there as well. They are allowing you to turn it off if you can't deal with the resulting delay due to use of FIR filters.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I second that.

Same goes for measurements of CoP performance, now that they're advertising it. I really wonder how tight of a fit they achieve with those inserts and if they are able to control resonance.

The woofer in the first-gen also looked really beefy, like a Wavecor or some other modern, sophisticated driver. I wasn't expecting that in the price range.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Please tell me the combination of their logo shape and name pronunciation being a purile term is equally as funny in Britslang as it is in Amerislang.

HEDD-Logo-BLK-400px.png

Fruits and berries on the left.

sabbot

View attachment 96984
Those plots show the effect of the DAW plugin/ standalone app feeding Mk1s. So unfortunately still no measurements of Mk2 disclosed.

Some time ago I caught Hedd saying in a podcast Mk2 is using the same drivers, but different amps, besides the inbuilt DSP.

Top Bottom