• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'Headroom' is a measure of the badness of an amplifier. The bigger the number, the worse the amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Z

Zaphod

Let's approach this logically.

First things first. If you come in here like gangbusters, having all the appearances of a troll, you're not going to get anywhere. This site is constantly under siege by trolls who gleefully take advantage of Amir's policy of tolerance, and many members here have long ago gotten sick and tired of them. Knock off the hyperbole and ask questions rather than adding fuel to flame, and this thread may turn into an interesting discussion.

A large headroom figure is not a measure of how BAD the power supply is, it is the measure of how uncontrolled the power supply is. Although many regard a loosely controlled power supply as "bad", that doesn't have to be true. Designers and manufacturers continually balance costs against characteristics under load, and make what they believe are the best decisions for their products in the real world.

You said:

It is technically impossible for all things to be absolutely equal between two amplifiers that have different headroom characteristics. The differences will always be obvious on the bench. But that's not the problem with your statement (above). Your statement discussed the sound of the amplifiers being compared, and you used the adverb "always", but you didn't specify the exact conditions of "equality".

If your basis of equality is RMS measured power, then amp #1 would output (let's say) 100 watts continuous without any headroom. Amp #2 would output 100 watts continuous, but have 3dB headroom, for a short-term output of 200 watts. Under the condition that the 3dB of headroom would be necessary to trace the signal, amp #2 would actually sound better, not worse.

If your basis of equality is the total power envelope, then you would compare (let's say) amp #1 with 100 watts continuous and no headroom with amp #2, which would now necessarily be defined (becasue we've moved the goal posts) as an amp with 50 watts output continuous and 3 dB headroom for 100 watts total. So you would be comparing what would seem to be a 50-watt amp to a 100-watt amp. Under that circumstance, there could be an audible difference ... but in my experience it would be slight. IMO, it would favor the 100-watt amp.

This is assuming that both amps are designed to deliver their power into extremely difficult loads as seen in some hard-to-drive speakers such as electrostatics, or dynamic loads with low impedance combined with odd phase angles.

Unfortunately, that doesn't happen often. Manufacturers who favor high-headroom designs usually do so for reasons of economy. They want to offer their customers greater short-term capabilities while lowering the demands on the overall circuitry so as to cut costs. Such designs are not usually created to deal with the exceptionally demanding speaker loads that are the minority on the market. Instead, they are created to deal advantageously with common loads as seen in the vast majority of loudspeakers on the market.

I said, "unfortunately, that doesn't happen very often." In reality, I am not sure that it happens at all ... ever. I'm not sure that it CAN happen ... at least, not if the amps are both rated exactly the same and under the same loads.

Which brings up the last factor; advertising.

If the FTC rule (as originally implemented) were adhered to rigidly, differences in circuit design capability would be stated ( and obvious) in the specs. But almost no one does that anymore.
So comparing the power of two amps on an equal basis depends on the point at which an advertiser wishes to set the limit. 1% distortion? Beginning of the "knee"? 4 ohms at the expense of 8 ohms?

If the advertiser wanted to set the rating dependant on short-term headroom limits, then I'm sure that you are correct; there would be some circumstances under which that amp, like amp #2 above, would sound inferior to an amp, like amp #1, with a higher RMS figure.

Whether that would be encountered in the normal 1-watt-average-output scenario of the average home is up for grabs, so to speak. And the cost-cutting designers know that. They bet on it to work in their favor.

So your use of the word "always" is inaccurate and inappropriate. Your use of the word "sounds" as the basis for your comparison is, I believe, untenable. It may apply in a rare case, but the sound difference cannot be determined to be verifiable in each and every case.

As usual, I might be wrong. :)

Jim
Sorry if I came in sounding like a troll. That was not my intention.

I cut my teeth as Marantz (Australia) service manager during the 1970s. You may know (or recall) that the 1970s was a time when manufacturers of cheap products heavily promoted the short term power capabilities of their products. Marantz, being a premium manufacturer (at the time) did not buy into such a promotion. All their amplifiers were rated for continuous power capability. It was clear at the time (and now) to me that building a 'soft' power supply allowed the dodgy manufacturers to claim high transient power capability (without specifying how long that transient capacity was). I see 'headroom' numbers as not significantly different, except that we now have a precise definition for those dodgy manufacturers to operate within.

Now, it is certainly possible that an otherwise identical amplifier delivering 150 Watt transients, when compared to an amplifier that cannot deliver 150 Watt transients to sound better. It is certainly not assured though.

And yes, you are correct. Sound quality may not be reflected in various numbers and I should be more circumspect in my use of the word 'always'.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bare in mind the dynamic headroom actually requires very little power at all but the lowest frequencies, which is why reserve capacitor's on larger output amps are usually of a larger capacity. Also, most real world situations with music transient peaks at any given frequency are extremely short lived at any very specific frequency.

Just watch a graphic equaliser, and you will see power for each individual frequency varies rapidly, so say for 20dB of headroom, you don't need the power required over say the 100w rating to be able to provide multiple sustained. It's also worth looking at which frequencies actually require big power draw for such, most of that demand is below 150Hz, and the further up you go the power required really does become far less.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am arguing from a position of logic.

A stiff power supply in an otherwise identical amplifier to one with a 'soft' power supply will always measure and probably sound better.
You haven't read post #32. Please do it before posting more.

Ze Frog

Those amps from Krell and high end stuff still have headroom, all amplifier's do but it's very rarely specified. Without such there would be very little dynamics to music and even running sensitive low power speakers you could run out of juice quickly in music with high transient peaks leading to distortion and clipping which you mention.

Are you sure you aren't confusing or something is lost in translation and it's clipping which is the issue? Only most speakers can take way beyond rated power, provided it's clean power. Run a 25w amp into clipping and you'll likely kill the tweeter of a speaker even if it's rated far above. The issue with the NAD was very unlikely 'headroom', reserve power, maybe an issue to do with it's delivery that's was at fault, but 'headroom'/reserve power is not dangerous in the slightest.
On this planet.

OK, I'll bite. Tell me how long the "momentary peaks" are that you speak of? Give me a number.

You can't because every piece of music is different. Some music will exhibit a peak to average ratio of as little as 10dB and other music might be as high as 40dB. Then, of course, is the duration of the those peaks. I don't recall the timing, but the low organ note in my copy of Also Sprach Zarathustra (Zebin Mehta version) lasts around 10 seconds. Maybe. And. before you ask: Yes, my speakers will reproduce those notes. Yes, the windows rattle. A bit.

Yeah, I get that it is a cheap 'n cheerful amp. That's fine. I was simply challenging the commonly assumed notion that big headroom figures are good. They're not. They are an indicator of how BAD an amplifier is.

Here's the problem with the 'headroom' nonsense:

I used to sell an NAD amplifier (the NAD 2200) which possessed ENORMOUS headroom. Around 6dB. That was great, until I began receiving speakers from owners that were VERY badly damaged. I popped the amp on my bench and began measuring. Sure enough: The 100 Watts rated NAD could deliver around 400 Watts for short periods. However, when the amp had exhausted it's headroom, the clipping became utterly horrendous. It soon became obvious what was happening. I ceased selling that model and any other that used such a silly system.

Think of it this way: If we take a high end amp from Krell, Mark Levinson, Boulder, D'Agostino, or one of several other manufacturers, you will quickly find that their continuous power rating is IDENTICAL (or very, VERY close) to their peak power rating. It's all a function of power supply stiffness. Crappy power supplies in an amplifier allow for large headroom figures. Some manufacturers use a regulated po

OP
Z

Zaphod

Those amps from Krell and high end stuff still have headroom, all amplifier's do but it's very rarely specified. Without such there would be very little dynamics to music and even running sensitive low power speakers you could run out of juice quickly in music with high transient peaks leading to distortion and clipping which you mention.

Are you sure you aren't confusing or something is lost in translation and it's clipping which is the issue? Only most speakers can take way beyond rated power, provided it's clean power. Run a 25w amp into clipping and you'll likely kill the tweeter of a speaker even if it's rated far above. The issue with the NAD was very unlikely 'headroom', reserve power, maybe an issue to do with it's delivery that's was at fault, but 'headroom'/reserve power is not dangerous in the slightest.
The larger Krell amplifiers have almost impossible to measure headroom figures. Which is to be expected. The stiffer the power supply, the lower the headroom figures.

gnarly

Major Contributor
I see amps touting headroom in dB, or Watts in peak power, as a red herring.......
Unless they give the time curve of how long the amp can maintain those specs...
Otherwise, I say to self....marketing....

My solution to not caring about the validity of headroom or peak power specs?
Just have enough RMS power to fully cover average SPL RMS power, plus 18-20dB peaks.
Yeah, big amps.....

Ze Frog

The larger Krell amplifiers have almost impossible to measure headroom figures. Which is to be expected. The stiffer the power supply, the lower the headroom figures.
A stiffer power supply should allow more 'headroom'. Are you sure you aren't actually referring to something else?

gnarly

Major Contributor
An empty (discharged) capacitor looks very much like a short circuit at the instant of power on. That's the inrush current.

Many, many (dare I say most) SMPS regulators have built in soft start features to prevent the regulator from having issues at start up. The designers of the regulators take into account inrush.

In my previous post I didn't mean to imply that there is not some limit to the amount of bulk capacitance that can be hung on the output of a SMPS. I'm certain there likely is. What I did say, is that SMPS just don't need the tens of thousands of uF to prevent voltage sag.

We're literally talking about time periods changes on the order of 1000 times to 10,000 times smaller when comparing linear and SMPS. In a very simplistic view, the output capacitance can shrink by those same ratios and still provide the same voltage sag performance.
Thanks. Nice clear picture.
Learned something today ...like why my big Watt proaudio amps take a little time to go live :)

D

Deleted member 21219

It was clear at the time (and now) to me that building a 'soft' power supply allowed the dodgy manufacturers to claim high transient power capability (without specifying how long that transient capacity was)

You are absolutely correct. I remember the EIA power excuses, the Music Power excuses and the Instantaneous Pulse Power excuses. I was overjoyed when the FTC made their Amplifier Rule in 1974. A text description is:

"In response to misleading or confusing power, distortion, and other performance claims, the Commission issued the Amplifier Rule in 1974 to standardize the measurement and disclosure of various amplifier performance characteristics. 39 FR 15387 (May 3, 1974). The Rule establishes uniform test standards and disclosures so consumers can easily compare amplifier characteristic.
Prior to enactment of the Amplifier Rule, manufacturers used at least seven different systems to measure amplifier output, including two incompatible measurement systems with broad industry support, the EIA Standard Methods of Measurement and the IHF Standard.[1]
At that time, the same amplifier might have been advertised with different power ratings when incorporated into different products.[2]
Moreover, prior to enactment of the Rule, some manufacturers advertised the maximum power output of a single channel of a stereo amplifier. The Commission found that this practice deceptively indicated a stereo amplifier powered both stereo channels at that level simultaneously, which was not necessarily true.[3] Manufacturers also measured power outputs over short periods of time, which did not account for heat buildup that prevented the amplifiers from being used at the measured output power for longer periods. Additionally, some manufacturers inflated power outputs by measuring amplifier outputs over limited frequency ranges or with excessive distortion, with unrealistic speaker loads, or when operating on battery power.[4]
To address these issues, the Rule requires uniform measurements and disclosures for home entertainment amplifiers. Specifically, it requires manufacturers to fully drive all associated channels when measuring the power output of sound amplification equipment designed to amplify two or more channels simultaneously. The Rule further sets requirements for measuring and disclosing frequency ranges, distortion levels, and speaker loads; requires manufacturers to conduct measurements in still air at a specified temperature to prevent the use of fans or cooling equipment; and requires manufacturers to use outlet power to test amplifiers that can run on either batteries or outlet power."

Unfortunately, the focus of your ire is not electronic design, but human nature. Try as we might, we can't change human nature. Some people will exert ten times (so to speak) as much time and energy to circumvent the rules than they would have, had they followed them.

I understand your frustration. With the FTC ignoring enforcement (they're probably understaffed) and seemingly every mother's son flaunting or ignoring even the most basic standards of honesty, a customer is easier prey to scammers than before 2000.

But that doesn't mean that EVERY loosely regulated power supply is the work of a malevolent demon. As I said, some companies believe there are advantages IN THE CONTEXT OF COMPETITIVE MARKET FORCES.

Thank goodness for ASR and @amirm, for tests and measurements, and for science in general. After all ... "In the deepest darkness, a single light shines its brightest." :)

Jim

OP
Z

Zaphod

What Logic and what reason?

This is not as self evident as you might think.
Then let us perform a mind experiment.

The ZA3 is supplied with a 48 Volt 5 Amp power supply. The headroom figures are as in the review.

Let's assume that the ZA3 is supplied with a 48 Volt, 10 Amp power supply.

Both power supplies are SMPS and fully regulated.

What is likely to happen to the continuous power output?

What is likely to happen to the headroom figure?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then let us perform a mind experiment.

The ZA3 is supplied with a 48 Volt 5 Amp power supply. The headroom figures are as in the review. Let's assume that the ZA3 is supplied with a 48 Volt, 10 Amp power supply.
Both power supplies are SMPS and fully regulated.

What is likely to happen to the continuous power output?
It is identical, but for low ohm speakers the 5 Amp supply runs out of current and the amp clips.
What is likely to happen to the headroom figure?
Nothing, its 0 dB for both (no headroom).

wwenze

Major Contributor
Ans: It's hard. Most regulated supplies shut off when voltage drops too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom