• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'Headroom' is a measure of the badness of an amplifier. The bigger the number, the worse the amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSPhil

I haven't read all the comments, but I have the impression that it's not about the quality of the amplifiers, but about the DC power supply. If we take an amplifier that can output 300W, it requires 50V DC from the power supply. Old-style power supplies need a 35.5V transformer that charges the capacitors to a peak voltage of 50V. This is exactly +3dB more Voltage. So we have 3dB Energy in Capacitors. If the capacitors are too small, they will be discharged and the voltage will drop to 35V, which will cause clipping and destruction of the tweeters. The situation is better if we have modern switching power supplies that hold the voltage until they reach the limit of their capabilities.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very probably correct.

Also, irrelevant to my original point.
Perhaps. I mean I could be totally confused as to what your point was. I thought you were trying to make the argument that headroom is bad in an amplifier:
A large headroom figure is merely measure of how bad the power supply is.
I’m just trying to point out you need to define the conditions under which that is true. It is silly to get a 5kVA PSU if you don’t have insensitive speakers and/or don’t listen loud. Calling it bad or good is silly. You need the equipment to perform a task. Define the task first and then get the equipment that will do the job. That a piece of equipment doesn’t work for your purpose doesn’t make it bad. Just not fit for your purpose. It could be fit for others.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well this discussion had gone around and around in just the circle I would have predicted with no real benefit to anyone that I can see. Might even get to 200 posts. Click bait title and all.
Welcome to ASR

OP
Z

Zaphod

Perhaps. I mean I could be totally confused as to what your point was. I thought you were trying to make the argument that headroom is bad in an amplifier:
Not specifically bad, but a measurement that indicates a deficient power supply. Probably.

Examine the headroom figures measured on the NCore amps and compare to the ZA3.

The NCore has a lower headroom figure.

For those who believe headroom to be a good thing, then clearly the NCore is a worse amplifier in this respect.

I disagree. I contend that the NCore superior WRT headroom.

MAB

Major Contributor
For those who believe headroom to be a good thing, then clearly the NCore is a worse amplifier in this respect.
No, you argue 'headroom' is 'bad'.
The argument that NCore is 'worse' is directly from you, and it's nonsense.
Stick to your argument, rather than trying to drag other's confusion as to what you are talking about into the argument. You effectively yelled 'fire' in a theater, then blame people for trampling each other on the way out the door.
Own your argument.

OP
Z

Zaphod

No, you argue 'headroom' is 'bad'.
The argument that NCore is 'worse' is directly from you, and it's nonsense.
Stick to your argument, rather than trying to drag other's confusion as to what you are talking about into the argument. You effectively yelled 'fire' in a theater, then blame people for trampling each other on the way out the door.
Own your argument.
Just to nit-pick here:

I said that a high headroom figure is an indicator of how bad an amplifier is.

All things being equal, a lower headroom figure indicates a better amplifier (power supply).

MAB

Major Contributor
Just to nit-pick here:

I said that a high headroom figure is an indicator of how bad an amplifier is.

All things being equal, a lower headroom figure indicates a better amplifier (power supply).
Yes. Exactly as I said, exactly what you said.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not specifically bad, but a measurement that indicates a deficient power supply. Probably.

Examine the headroom figures measured on the NCore amps and compare to the ZA3.

The NCore has a lower headroom figure.

I disagree. I contend that the NCore superior WRT headroom.
I guess I really just don’t get what the point of evaluating amps in this manner is. I tend to listen to music at a particular level. I listen at very loud values occasionally, so I have an amp that is capable of doing that, given my particular speakers. As long as the amp is capable of that, I don’t get where headroom comes into it. If I could only use an amp that is close to being underpowered, I’d rather have the one that might not clip.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Due to how long you have been a member. We gave you 10 pages to make your point and substantiate your claims made in the thread title. You haven’t done any of these things and now this looks like a Clickbait thread. I think we’re all done here. Next time just try to make a conversation instead of this. Whatever this was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom