• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones x IEMs poll

What do you think about headphones versus IEMs?

• I only use headphones and don't care about IEMs

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • I used to like headphones but IEMs are getting more use lately

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • I like and use both regularly

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • I used to like IEMs but headphones are getting more use lately

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I only use IEMs and don't care about headphones

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • I don't care about both, I love speakers

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious. :)

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would have been able to cast a vote if I had seen something along the line of: I never really liked headphones, always considered them like a necessary evil, but, lately, I find IEM more and more satisfactory and use them more and more.

To me they are more comfortable, once getting accustomed to have something in my ear canal, they sound much better once properly fitted. The clarity, purity and dynamic of IEM sound is very addictive.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do share the curiosity :) Question is asking about two independant variables though which is making it hard to chose an answer for me.

I do enjoy over-ear headphones. I want to like in-ears and I keep buying them buy don't really like using them, partially due to their sound and partially due to their physical discomfort. Where does that put me on the available answers?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose to both the 2nd option where headphones were king but IEMs getting (or trying to get) more use lately?

asrUser

The Salnotes Zero has shown me how much more comfortable an IEM can be to wear for long periods AND how ridiculously much performance you can get for practically no money. I won't be going back to headphones.
I bet there are quite a lot of headphones that would be very comfortable for your head. Everyone has to try themselves.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I picked #2. For multiple reasons. Easier to wear for comfort. Easier to drive as they are normally more efficient. To me they have advanced beyond Headphones in regard to sound quality and incredibly low distortion. My headphones are just sitting and am considering selling them off. Two years ago I didn’t even know what IEM’s were and now they dominate my listening experience. ;)

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked #2. For multiple reasons. Easier to wear for comfort. Easier to drive as they are normally more efficient. To me they have advanced beyond Headphones in regard to sound quality and incredibly low distortion. My headphones are just sitting and am considering selling them off. Two years ago I didn’t even know what IEM’s were and now they dominate my listening experience. ;)
I had some pretty expensive Audeze headphones, sold them all and now IEMs only for the last few years. No turning back now imo.

OldTimer

IEM is used outdoor when running. Headphone at home/indoor.

Note: also outdoor used when riding motorbike so I can put my helmet. It’s so much fun to listen to some music in a high speed riding. Sometimes the music is more enjoyable when cornering speed.

Last edited:

SteveL

By the way, on IEM (or headphone) "soundstage" (and I can only speak to classical music): When I sit in my subscription seat in Severance Hall, in the middle of the main floor 12 rows back, I perceive sound coming from just in front of my face. When I listen to a well mastered orchestral recording (such as the ones issued in recent years by the Cleveland Orchestra or streamed on their Adella site) with well tuned IEMs I perceive... sound coming from just in front of my face. (With a slight effort I can even hear *either* the live or the IEM sound as coming from inside my head! In the hall that requires closing my eyes.) Maybe I'm weird. But accurate tonality is what I care about.

mc.god

Alex_Brouwer

1. Haven't heard any iem's that make the stereo image as wide as my heavy dsp'd original lambdas.
If they exist I would mind some recommendations

D

Deleted member 21219

You don't have a choice that covers me. I use IEMs when I absolutely have to, as in gym time, but I hate them. They're uncomfortable and they gradually work their way out. I much prefer over-ears, which are comfortable for hours.
I'm even getting to the point at home where I prefer over-ears to loudspeakers. I love the lack of room problems.

Jim

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't have a choice that covers me. I use IEMs when I absolutely have to, as in gym time, but I hate them. They're uncomfortable and they gradually work their way out. I much prefer over-ears, which are comfortable for hours.
I'm even getting to the point at home where I prefer over-ears to loudspeakers. I love the lack of room problems.

Jim
I guess that's option 1 then.

Turambar

I use both headphones and IEMs regularly. Also speakers. And I love live music, too. :)

Certainly, IEMs are making big, big progress lately. The last couple of years, or so. For a pretty small amount of money, you got great performance, as we all can see just by reading the reviews on this site.

Well, I guess this should be very good news for everyone. Personally, my main interest by far when using IEMs (or headphones / speakers) is the sound quality (at least, the sound quality as perceived by me, but also with measurements to provide an objective basis), I don't care much about materials, appearance, bragging rights, reselling value,... So, if I can get what I want spending $100, so much the better than spending $1000, or $10000.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I Love my headphones, I love my speakers.
I am learning to tolerate IEMs, but they get on my nerves, making my ears itch and not sealing properly half the time.
No option for me, I guess I'm weird, lol.

olieb

I still like headphones more.
The best earphones have super low distortion, very nice group delay (FWIW) and an FR that can be used without EQ (on the phone).
But as great as it is, there is still a feeling of the result being even more off than normal headphones. I wonder whether changing the ear canal from semi open to closed produces resonance patterns in HF that are "special".
Anyway, spacial presentation is even more warped for me and the feel of something sticking in my ear is not helping.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I Love my headphones, I love my speakers.
I am learning to tolerate IEMs, but they get on my nerves, making my ears itch and not sealing properly half the time.
No option for me, I guess I'm weird, lol.
Just keep searching for different types and sizes of ear tips. There are many many options for a few USD each pair.

Last edited:
I generally switch between them depending on what I am doing. My Steam Deck and wherever I am sitting generally has the most impact on what i use - if I am in the lviing room with my wife gaming on the TV, I use IEMs to kill the outside sound, but if she is painting or doing some craft project I use my headphones. Desktop PC always gets the headphones except when my other half breaks out the rotary tool and starts drilling away at her rocks.

Been using flathead earbuds on my Deck lately that are the FAAEAL Rosemary, which have an offensively large soundstage and surprising detail for a $20 pair of buds. Porta Pro's if I want a more relaxed presentation to a game and not shove something in my ears.

Top Bottom