• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amplifier with miniDSP Flex?

bkdc

Forum Donor
I’m sold on the MiniDSP Flex but I’d also like to connect a headphone amp to the analog device. I can see the nuisance of having to adjust the DSP settings with a headphone amplifier, but has anyone on this forum made this pair work?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m sold on the MiniDSP Flex but I’d also like to connect a headphone amp to the analog device. I can see the nuisance of having to adjust the DSP settings with a headphone amplifier, but has anyone on this forum made this pair work?
Looks like it has 4 presets. So one for your room and up to 3 headphones?

Or have I missed the point somewhere?

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The regular Flex only has 4 outputs. If you run mains with no subs then you would have 2 outputs you can use for the headphone amp. However, if you are using 1 or more subs, you won't have enough outputs, and then would need the Flex 8 instead. If it were me, I'd just get the Flex 8 even if I didn't have subs, just so I could add them in the future. Also, as Jimbob54 said, there are 4 config presets on the Flex, so switching configs (DSP and routing) is a piece of cake.

EDIT: I've updated how I use headphones with my Flex, and this works great without needing the extra outputs of the Flex 8: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...idsp-flex-review-audio-dsp.30804/post-1891336

Last edited:
Top Bottom