• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amplifier Testing and Measurements

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don't get hung up on just circum-aural phones though such are often used by better heeled headphonophiles. Most people use earbuds. On ear or in ear or near ear clip on phones with cell phones for a source. So as well as testing some headphone amps, and dedicated music players, test the output of popular phones. Iphones, Galaxies etc. plus some tablets. Oh, and definitely get some of the Etymotics.
That's a good point. I was planning on testing my Samsung S8+ for another reason but now will apply it to this domain too. And will do the same for my laptop. I already have the latest Etymotic ER4S and a Shure. Could add more.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

neu01

Sennheiser HD600 or 650's. You can get them second hand or new at fairly reasonable prices, especially now that they've released the new HD660. They are also very modular and user serviceable, you can buy replacement parts for every part of the headphone.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sennheiser HD600 or 650's. You can get them second hand or new at fairly reasonable prices, especially now that they've released the new HD660. They are also very modular and user serviceable, you can buy replacement parts for every part of the headphone.
Yeh the 600 that I gave to my son wore out and he replaced the parts in it. Since he is happy with it, I went ahead and bought the 650. Didn't know the 660 was coming out. Should I have gotten that?

neu01

Yeh the 600 that I gave to my son wore out and he replaced the parts in it. Since he is happy with it, I went ahead and bought the 650. Didn't know the 660 was coming out. Should I have gotten that?

I think it might be a little out of your budget being ~500-700. It's also not nearly as well documented as the 600/650s, so it will make it more difficult to cross reference reviews for others to make a point of reference.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well, I am always happy to save money so I will stay with the 650. :)
That would also be my vote. I'm always amazed by the number of posts on HeadFi's Senn HD650 owners thread where some poster states how he's sold his 650s two, three, four times for some latest fad can, only to dump them and get another set of 650s after a few months/years. IMO maybe not THE SOTA reference, but a reference in it's own right. And just power hunger enough to reveal the amps that may be a little short on PRaT :p

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hello everyone. I like to expand my objective testing and measurements to headphone amplifiers. In that regard, I thought I start a thread on this and figure out what makes sense to do and test.

First, I need recommendations on headphones to use for testing. My Stax headphones unfortunately don't qualify since they have their own amps. The venerable Sony MDRv6 is good but it represents one data point for listening tests. What other headphones are common and don't cost a fortune? My limit is low hundreds of dollars.

On amps, what are the common choices? Are they popular or are people strictly opting for DACs with headphone amps?

On measurements I am thinking of distortion, maximum power, internal impedance, frequency ersponse and channel balance.

Appreciate any and all feedback. Those of you who are guests and have headphone experience, this is your chance to register and provide information that shapes the direction of what I will do! :)

Guest responding to invitation. Hello all.

I have the Objective2 headphone amp that I purchased, online, some time ago from Mayflower Electronics. Battery access requires case disassembly. I am satisfied with it. http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/o2-headphone-amp.html .Scroll down.

My headphones are Beyerdynamic 880 Pro, 250 ohm. I don't feel a need to upgrade.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/studio-headphones-0#para17, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bey...emium-why-the-difference.635205/#post_8847003
(I have an old pair of Sennheiser HD420 headphones - open and lightweight that are still useful).

I use the Behringer UCA202 and O2 with my laptop, http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/behringer-uca202-review.html. or line out from a NAD C 326BEE, into the O2

After seeing the review on this forum I will probably purchase the Topping D30.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That would also be my vote. I'm always amazed by the number of posts on HeadFi's Senn HD650 owners thread where some poster states how he's sold his 650s two, three, four times for some latest fad can, only to dump them and get another set of 650s after a few months/years. IMO maybe not THE SOTA reference, but a reference in it's own right. And just power hunger enough to reveal the amps that may be a little short on PRaT :p

Luckily, it's easy to top up the tank on Prat:

12636882_is

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Welcome to the forum. Are you the wombat I know from HA forum? If so, double welcome. :)
Different Wombat. I'd be happy to change the monicker.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Since we have this thread going, might as well post some research into headphones and their testing. This is a good interview with Sean Olive. Skip the first few minutes and play it at 1.25X to get through it faster:

Interesting point regarding using EQ to achieve a target curve with any headphone to improve fidelity.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Oh no you are fine. There are benefits to joining before others. :)
Good.
For those who aren't familiar with the wombat, it is an Australian large burrowing marsupial . It eats roots and leaves. Add a comma after eats.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Say, how about Grado? I used to love mine back 15+ years ago in how comfortable and sweet sounding they were.
Life isn't complete without 1 Grado. ;)
I keep a old set of SR80s on the night stand for late listening. Super easy to drive they mate well with low power devices.
A perennial fav at under $100 and I'm all about being cheap. LOL
Just one of many choices.

Top Bottom