• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD58X frequency response investigation

Wombat

Master Contributor
In brief, follow the normal warranty process. Be calm and clearly and simply state the problem. If Massdrop won't address the issue take it up with Sennheiser. If you say that you opened the grilles or mention the white stuff you will possibly make any claim void.

Good luck.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

What was wrong wity simply sending them to get measured and then if found to be faulty asking for a refund armed with documentation. Probably less effort that all the posts in this thread lol

Nothing wrong with that.I cant afford to send them to Solderdude right now so it must wait.

Dogen

Forum Donor
First, sorry you’re not happy with them. I’m puzzled because the reviews on Massdrop are quite uniformly good in terms of sound quality.

Lots of good advice here about how to deal with the situation. I’d pick just one or two of the big issues you have, and contact Sennheiser. If you can get them measured, that’s ideal. While you’re clearly upset, a calm and measured request, as short and direct as possible, will get you better results. I think your position is, “I’ve received a faulty product. It doesn’t meet the standards I’ve come to expect from Sennheiser and the reviews I’ve read. The only possibility is that they are faulty.”

They have criteria for when they will approve a replacement. Your only job is to tell the truth and make it easy to check those boxes. Any attempt to convey the extent of your anguish or shame them will, at the very least, have no effect.

Keep your cool, and good luck!

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

By the way,anybody knows if I must send them back to USA for refund or can I just send them to some Sennheiser center in Europe? Can I even contact Sennheiser about the warranty or is Massdrop my only choice?

Dogen

Forum Donor
By the way,anybody knows if I must send them back to USA for refund or can I just send them to some Sennheiser center in Europe? Can I even contact Sennheiser about the warranty or is Massdrop my only choice?

Start with Massdrop. If that doesn’t work, contact Sennheiser. One step at a time.

Wombat

Master Contributor

I don't know what the connection between Massdrop and Sennheiser is.

If there is no Massdrop warranty you should be covered by the Sennheiser warranty.

**Massdrop warranty Massdrop is based in USA thus you purchased from USA even if they sourced the item from overseas.

Sennheiser USA warranty Register your item. Register

THEN

** Contact Sennheisser: Scroll down to your country for contact information:https://en-au.sennheiser.com/service-support-contact Ask if your problem can be dealt with at your local Service Partner.

Service Partners Worldwide

Cheers.

Last edited:

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
What was wrong wity simply sending them to get measured and then if found to be faulty asking for a refund armed with documentation. Probably less effort that all the posts in this thread lol

It is unlikely that Sennheiser's support would accept a measurement from a DIY system as indicative of defect, particularly in that frequency band; if they'd accept a return/replace on that basis, odds are they would do so from a subjectively reported problem as well. I would suggest talking to Massdrop about this, personally.

Wombat

Master Contributor
It is unlikely that Sennheiser's support would accept a measurement from a DIY system as indicative of defect, particularly in that frequency band; if they'd accept a return/replace on that basis, odds are they would do so from a subjectively reported problem as well. I would suggest talking to Massdrop about this, personally.

Yes, Massdrop should be contacted first about warranty. Their contact details are linked to in the Massdrop warranty link in post #47. I should have made that more clear.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
In the uk if you buy anything unseen on the internet you can return it within 2 weeks for any reason you chose. 'I don't like it' would be reason enough. Knowing your buying rights before you buy things is essential. I dont know if such consumer protection is in place in the u.s .

I try and avoid buying from outside the eu or uk for this reason.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It would be more for ones own peice of mind save them being returned and found to be fault free then be refused refund and out of pocket etc.

Its massively unlikely they are faulty imo the same fault on both drivers? But im no headphone expert .

If they really are faulty he wont be the only one so contacting point of purchase is what you do first.

Just email them, they may well accept a return if they are boxed perfectly regarless of if they are faulty. Testing these things maybe more expensive than just just accepting the return.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's also why I prefer to buy things from UK shops, it's not because I think shops are any better or anything but the consumer protection we can easily access is very reassuring.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They will have to be shipped to Massdrop.
Sennheiser manufactures these for Massdrop only and can only be returned to Massdrop.
Shipping to the USA is much more expensive than shipping within the EU.
They now have a HATS and measurement system and can check quality themselves.

When you ship them to me Massdrop agreed to let me measure them and if something is wrong they would REALLY love to know about it.
They will pay for the shipping to them so it costs you less to ship them to me than to them.
When indeed it measures poorly it will be returned to Massdrop (by me) and you can either get a new one OR your money back.
I assume without the shipping costs and possible taxes you may have had to pay (did not ask but assume so).

When it measures O.K. and you just don't like the signature I will buy it from you (would have to agree about the price), modify it and put it up for sale.

NOTE: I am not affiliated with Massdrop nor with Sennheiser but do this for the community (and hobby).
There will be those in Europe wanting to try one for a sensible price (so without taxes) most likely.

It looks like you either have to live with a headphone you don't like and loose money and own something you hate.
It maybe seriously broken, which you will never know unless you ship it or you need to sell it on-wards locally or via e-bay (which would not be a nice thing to do if it is broken)
or... you ship it to me and only loose shipping costs and maybe taxes but gain knowledge and get money back.

Shipping within the EU, when done with a slow parcel service, won't cost an arm and a leg and you get money back.
Just shop around on the internet. DPD and DHL are likely candidates for 'economy' shipping.
Win, win situation for everyone.

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To the OP: Solderdude has an excellent proposition, IMO!

The other easy solution to the problem is this: Try out an online tone generator. http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
See if you can hear high frequencies through the headphones. If you can't, and you can otherwise hear those frequencies, then it's probably defective. Otherwise, it might just be that these headphones simply don't fit you. Headphones is a personal thing because our ear canals etc are different.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The OP is a young guy, 18 y.o.. Keep it simple.

1. Deal thru Massdrop. Check the Solderdude offer with them.

2. If no satisfaction, deal thru Sennheiser.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The OP is a young guy, 18 y.o.. Keep it simple.
1. Deal thru Massdrop. Check the Solderdude offer with them.
2. If no satisfaction, deal thru Sennheiser.

Well, he says he is 27.....so perhaps 18 with a brickwall dropoff from 19-27 ;)

I think your advice is good, but like others I am trying to figure out what could cause this kind of defect in 2 channels...not likely two defective drivers in the same headphone.

Perhaps Graf Feppar is right about some glue or foam, being in front of the driver. I would guess because these high frequencies are quite directional that even a small drip of glue on the front grill or inner sponge pads could block them.

Mine are absolutely clean, and I have not seen other images of the HD58X with those foam drips. It is possible the headphone has been repaired. Perhaps Massdrop somehow sent out a returned pair that a customer modified. My guess is that the photos of the foam drips may be all that is needed for a refund or replacement.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity I opened mine, no glue/foam visible.
As a side note, i prefer the 58X over the 650 because of its better high frequency performance.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

As a side note, i prefer the 58X over the 650 because of its better high frequency performance.

69608c0575dfc760c33b5a2c3c8fe98f.png

Top Bottom