• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD58X frequency response investigation

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

Did you try the frequency generator to see if they indeed play high frequencies or not, @Graph Feppar ?

Yes,Audacity.You can make any sinewave or sinewave sweep you want there in loseless quality.I am not golden eared supreme judge of sound quality but the fact that I used +6db shelf EQ to boost everything past 7KHz to make them sound close to HD6X0 indicates these are much darker and more veiled than normal good HD58X.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes,Audacity.You can make any sinewave or sinewave sweep you want there in loseless quality.I am not golden eared supreme judge of sound quality but the fact that I used +6db shelf EQ to boost everything past 7KHz to make them sound close to HD6X0 indicates these are much darker and more veiled than normal good HD58X.

I suspect that you're boosting the wrong region. Most music (especially acoustic) has relatively little going on above 10 KHz and other than some very specific instruments like cymbals, frequency response at or above that range doesn't seem to make a huge difference to my ear.

Rather, I find that the presence region between 1 to 5 KHz can make a big difference in terms of perceived brightness, clarity and detail. If you look at Massdrop's published measurements comparing the HD58X and HD650, you'll see that HD650 has more energy in exactly that range. Furthermore, the HD58X has more energy in the bass region, which can make high mids and treble seem relatively more recessed.

1544716816900.png

So, if you want to bring the HD58X closer to the HD650, don't mess with the high treble and instead drop the bass a little and bump the presence region. @solderdude also describes a physical mod that you can do to lower the bass, which does in fact make the HD58X sound a bit brighter and more detailed. I personally actually prefer more bass, but that's because I listen at low volumes. Oh yeah, that's another thing ... in stock form, I find the HD58X's tonal balance best at lower listening levels. Push it too high and the veil to which you refer seems more apparent

KR8NUX

Huh, why is there so much conflict ? I contacted Massdrop when my HE4XX were having driver matching issues. Told them I could hear it while using the Audiocheck website. No questions asked, a new pair was sent to me. They requested me to return the older pair but I have not gotten around to doing it yet.

Why are you so up in arms without even contacting support ?

pwjazz

Forum Donor
So, if you want to bring the HD58X closer to the HD650, don't mess with the high treble and instead drop the bass a little and bump the presence region. @solderdude also describes a physical mod that you can do to lower the bass, which does in fact make the HD58X sound a bit brighter and more detailed. I personally actually prefer more bass, but that's because I listen at low volumes. Oh yeah, that's another thing ... in stock form, I find the HD58X's tonal balance best at lower listening levels. Push it too high and the veil to which you refer seems more apparent

It's not fully baked, but here's a quick EQ profile that you might like.

Screenshot_2018-12-13-11-46-49.png

The filters at 4680 and 8200 are bonuses. The first cuts out a little of what I perceive as grain, and the 8200 fills in an apparent gap that shows up in mine and a lot of other people's measurements and that can make certain cymbals sound a bit dull.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "so up in arms",I am merely writting and informing you,the internet people what happened,the entire point of forum is to have discussion.Another problem is that on internet you never see the other person with your own eyes,you dont see their body language or face expresions,you dont hear their tone of voice.

My writing style is "extra spicy" which causes other people who never met me IRL often assume I must be freaking out but in reality I am the chillest dude on this planet lol.Ok I admit I am little buthurt,but I am not temper tantrum rage butthurt,I am just sad I will spend the holidays without headphone since I dont have any other headphones or speakers.

Just to state one thing,I still think Sennheiser is best,every manufacturer makes errors,schiit happens,even through highly unlikely I won the Sennheiser anti-lottery of misfortune,its not the end of the world.Also I dont blame Massdrop,they did nothing wrong,if anything I am mad at myself since I knew Massdrop doesnt accept returns like other interned shops and the shipping and warranty would be problem since I am from EU should problem arise,I knew this very well before I bought them,my assumption was that with Sennheiser reliability,driver matching and quality there would never be any problem so it was safe risk.

I already contacted Massdrop four days ago.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We need to start a butthurt league table we have enough to have some stiff competition for the top ten places..

@Graph Feppar your not even making the top ten yet, must try harder and increase butthurt levels .

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

I suspect that you're boosting the wrong region. Most music (especially acoustic) has relatively little going on above 10 KHz and other than some very specific instruments like cymbals, frequency response at or above that range doesn't seem to make a huge difference to my ear.

Rather, I find that the presence region between 1 to 5 KHz can make a big difference in terms of perceived brightness, clarity and detail. If you look at Massdrop's published measurements comparing the HD58X and HD650, you'll see that HD650 has more energy in exactly that range. Furthermore, the HD58X has more energy in the bass region, which can make high mids and treble seem relatively more recessed.

View attachment 18764

"veil to which you refer",no,Im not refering to the slight micro veil of modern HD6X0.The veil I am refering is kind of veil you didnt even dream off .You are just assuming I mean the legendary Sennheiser veil that is like 20 year old meme at this point,that veil is nothing more than nitpicking at slight imperfections,HD6X0 veil is like gecko,my HD58X veil is like godzilla.

Another point is,while I am not walking spectrum analyzer,I can tell the difference between upper mids 1-5 KHz and upper treble 13+ KHz.When I say the headphone have no air,I dont mean it needs boost at 5KHz.

Look,I understand you,you see that everybody on internet is praising the HD58X except this one poster,some Graph Feppar who criticizes the sound strongly.He must not know the difference between 5KHz and 14KHz,he must have very bad ability to judge sound and just dislikes the tonality that others like.It must be the upper mids that cause him to dislike the headphone.

If I had never heard HD660S I would maybe consider that possibility for time period longer than 250 miliseconds but I heard them.The 660S is recessed in same frequencies by same amount,the mids and treble of HD660S match so well they are like same headphone.Measurements show that,people subjective sound reviews claim that,the entire world is like "yeah,580X = 660S with moar bass",I never heard the exact HD660S or HD580X other people listened to and measured but the difference between my HD58X and the HD660S I tried in my local shop is like the difference between Beyonce and her fan in this video.

Last edited:

wiggum

Dude, I tried to help you in my previous posts. Now, you are just annoying with your posts. If product is defective, please return it. As simple as that.

You are covered by multiple warranties. Massdrop, then Sennheiser. If both fail, take it up with credit card company. You should get a refund.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Huh, why is there so much conflict ? I contacted Massdrop when my HE4XX were having driver matching issues. Told them I could hear it while using the Audiocheck website. No questions asked, a new pair was sent to me. They requested me to return the older pair but I have not gotten around to doing it yet.

Just out of curiosity, I went to Audiocheck to test my HE4xx after reading your post. I hear rattle sound from one drive with "bass shaker" test. Did you experience similar problem with your HE4xx?

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

Dude, I tried to help you in my previous posts. Now, you are just annoying with your posts. If product is defective, please return it. As simple as that.

You are covered by multiple warranties. Massdrop, then Sennheiser. If both fail, take it up with credit card company. You should get a refund.

How I am annoying? I just tell how it is,I dont blame you for anything.If I was in your position,I would make same post as you and think same way. :) I just kindly presented my reasoning about why I disagree with you,if you cant handle that,dont read this thread

wiggum

It's not fully baked, but here's a quick EQ profile that you might like.

View attachment 18768

The filters at 4680 and 8200 are bonuses. The first cuts out a little of what I perceive as grain, and the 8200 fills in an apparent gap that shows up in mine and a lot of other people's measurements and that can make certain cymbals sound a bit dull.

What app is that? I use Teac and Capriccio music players for PEQ right now.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
They asked if I want refund,replacememt or gift card.

Then you got a perfect solution :)

Just buy another pair or another model. Enjoy the holidays!

p.s. I have to say @solderdude offered an excellent solution too, if it didn't work out with Massdrop. kudos to him :D

Top Bottom