• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Have DT880, worth it to get HD800?

BillyD

Hi, this is my first thread here. I have the Beyerdynamic DT880 and I love how clear and detailed they are. I have always wanted to get the Sennheiser HD800 and then do the SDR mod or at least EQ them, due to how much they are hyped everywhere as the most detailed and realistic headphones out there with amazing soundstage. Will going from DT880 to HD800 be a huge upgrade or are they not worth it? Also I will be using them with a JDS Atom amp and my PC's motherboard which is very good for audio I never hear any noise or distortion, but I might buy a DAC as well in the future if it is a big upgrade. Thanks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, this is my first thread here. I have the Beyerdynamic DT880 and I love how clear and detailed they are. I have always wanted to get the Sennheiser HD800 and then do the SDR mod or at least EQ them, due to how much they are hyped everywhere as the most detailed and realistic headphones out there with amazing soundstage. Will going from DT880 to HD800 be a huge upgrade or are they not worth it? Also I will be using them with a JDS Atom amp and my PC's motherboard which is very good for audio I never hear any noise or distortion, but I might buy a DAC as well in the future if it is a big upgrade. Thanks.
Welcome. IMO they are very different headphones, HD800 way brighter. IMO try listening to a good planar that you will probably like better, at least that was my experience.

For example:
IMG_20211002_155259.jpg

Last edited:
OP
B

BillyD

Welcome. IMO they are very different headphones, HD800 way brighter. IMO try listening to a good planar that you will probably like better, at least that was my experience.

For example:
View attachment 156758

Thanks for the suggestion are the HD800 fatiguing? Even with the SDR mod or EQ? Cause I know a lot of people complain about the 6k peak. Also how do they compare in terms of detail to planar of the same caliber like the Edition X which you mentioned here?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know about mod or EQ, just heard the HD800 and was very disappointed. Edition X V2 would be the phone I would buy today.

But try listening to them before deciding anything.

OP
B

BillyD

Don't know about mod or EQ, just heard the HD800 and was very disappointed. Edition X V2 would be the phone I would but today.

But try listening to them before deciding anything.
Yeah thanks for the suggestion Ill think about planars too.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The treble peak is fairly stable with positioning so they respond very well to EQ.

tomtrp

HD800 with proper EQ is very close to the ultimate headphone experience. Without EQ, the lack of subbass, mids and the 5750hz peak ruins the tonality. The sibilance is crazy with stock HD800.

OP
B

BillyD

HD800 with proper EQ is very close to the ultimate headphone experience. Without EQ, the lack of subbass, mids and the 5750hz peak ruins the tonality. The sibilance is crazy with stock HD800.
Yeah I have been hearing the best about this headphone. If I actually get it and like it, it will probably be my endgame. I will probably buy the stock HD800 because I can find it for cheaper. Do you know of the SDR mod and if it is any different from EQ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor

HD800 is a step up from DT880 (the older versions)

Below the DT880 vs the HD800S (= similar to HD800 SDR)
dt880-tp-vs-hd800s.png

The HD800 should be EQ'ed, filtered or have the SDR mod. I do not recommend the Anax mod.
Have some DT880 versions and HD800 (filtered) and the HD800 is the better one.

Pads for the DT880 are cheap. Pads and headband (original ones) for the HD800 are very expensive and need to be replaced every few years or so (depends on usage, temp, circumstances)

Whether you will perceive it as an upgrade no one can tell. Some hate the HD800 others love it.
When you like the DT880 you will probably love the HD800.

Yes, you can use it with the Atom amp.

OP
B

BillyD

HD800 is a step up from DT880 (the older versions)

Below the DT880 vs the HD800S (= similar to HD800 SDR)
dt880-tp-vs-hd800s.png

The HD800 should be EQ'ed, filtered or have the SDR mod. I do not recommend the Anax mod.
Have some DT880 versions and HD800 (filtered) and the HD800 is the better one.

Pads for the DT880 are cheap. Pads and headband (original ones) for the HD800 are very expensive and need to be replaced every few years or so (depends on usage, temp, circumstances)

Whether you will perceive it as an upgrade no one can tell. Some hate the HD800 others love it.
When you like the DT880 you will probably love the HD800.

Yes, you can use it with the Atom amp.
Great response thanks. Is EQing good enough or should I bother with the SDR mod or something else? Also the Atom amp is good enough but do I need a good Dac as well?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Atom is good enough. Try directly from your PC (when it has a good soundcard). An external DAC is not going to improve sound that much if even at all.

HD800, HD800S (very similar to SDR mod) or HD800 using external passive filter.

hd800-vs-800s-vs-hd800-filter.png

Do not EQ the 11kHz peak out. It is part of the 'HD800 magic'.

OP
B

BillyD

Atom is good enough. Try directly from your PC (when it has a good soundcard). An external DAC is not going to improve sound that much if even at all.

HD800, HD800S (very similar to SDR mod) or HD800 using external passive filter.

hd800-vs-800s-vs-hd800-filter.png

Do not EQ the 11kHz peak out. It is part of the 'HD800 magic'.
Thanks a lot. How will I know if I should get a DAC?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What sound card do you have ?
Do you have any issues with it ? noise, or other audible problems ?
If it hasn't and sounds good on the DT880 it won't have issues with the HD800 either.
Even the DAC part of many phones are already enough.

OP
B

BillyD

What sound card do you have ?
Do you have any issues with it ? noise, or other audible problems ?
If it hasn't and sounds good on the DT880 it won't have issues with the HD800 either.
Even the DAC part of many phones are already enough.
I have a Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5 motherboard, it has a Sound Core 3D processor. As far as I can tell there is no noise or distortion and I have been using this setup with the Atom for close to a year. Why do so many people in other forums especially Head-Fi say you need an amp and dac worth thousands each to get the most out of HD800? I have seen here on ASR that this is misinformation which makes much more sense to me.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do so many people in other forums especially Head-Fi say you need an amp and dac worth thousands each to get the most out of HD800? I have seen here on ASR that this is misinformation which makes much more sense to me.

It's hard to tell exactly where these myths come from, but I think the seed of this particular urban legend is that lots of people love the HD800's soundstage and imaging but not it's frequency response combined with the fact that audiofools usually reject the use of EQ to actually fix the problem.

The potential monkey wrench in this explanation is that only the lowest-fi of amps will actually make much of a difference to the sound. OTOH, people easily convince themselves that well performing DACs and amps have their own "sound", so it's not that much of a stretch.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
People believe all kinds of things.
The problem is that some folks who connect a separate DAC, expect improvement and may even get a higher output voltage from that external DAC actually perceive an improvement making it real to them and they become vocal advocates to whoever is willing to listen.

Just use your sound card. See if someone can lend you a DAC or buy one with return option and try for yourself.
Even if there is no real improvement but it is an improvement to you and doesn't cost you an arm or a leg and brings you more joy I am even all for it.

PuX

there's plenty of good DACs in $100-200 range, not very expensive when buying expensive headphones, so I'd get one.

OP
B

BillyD

Right thanks a lot for clearing that up. If I ever bought a dac what should I get? I would look into the 100-200 range and I would like it to have optical in so I can use it with my TV and other devices too.

Dro

I used my HD800 with SDR mod and EQ a lot this week. It's very good. Just be aware that the extreme detail of the HD800 is a result of its treble, as you correct it, it goes away.I you are going to use EQ, the non-S HD800 should be a great base. My biggest gripe with it are the massive ear cups that can lead to some sneaky loss of seal at the bottom rear.

However, if you are going to EQ anyway, other headphones might be a better deal.

OP
B

BillyD

I used my HD800 with SDR mod and EQ a lot this week. It's very good. Just be aware that the extreme detail of the HD800 is a result of its treble, as you correct it, it goes away.I you are going to use EQ, the non-S HD800 should be a great base. My biggest gripe with it are the massive ear cups that can lead to some sneaky loss of seal at the bottom rear.

However, if you are going to EQ anyway, other headphones might be a better deal.
Like what? First off yeah I plan to buy the base HD800 if I will and second I would use EQ only to get rid of that 6k peak or just use the SDR mod to basically convert it to an HD800S. I wouldn't EQ it or mess with it at all any further.

Top Bottom