• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC needed, please advise.

t-hawk

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and only about a year into this audio lark. Out of everywhere I have trawled this seems to be about the most down to earth place.

I currently have an SMSL sanskrit 6th (on loan) and FiiO E9 used as the headphone amp (on loan again). This is hooked up to my PC. I listen to it through Sennheiser HD558, also have some Fostex on order which I plan on doing the mrspeaker alpha mod on. I am wanting to replace the SMSL/FiiO with an all-in-one unit. I have been looking at the SMSL C200 and DL200. Thoughts/advice on them and other potentials in that price range?

I am also wanting to invest in a DAC/AMP for my android phone for when I am working on the allotment and walking the dog. I use my bose QC35ii at the moment, I was wondering whether their would be much difference between them and say a FiiO KA13/Q11/BTR5 with my Sennheiser's?

Might be worth mentioning why I have only looked at FiiO and SMSL. I am open to other options but I can get those two brands about 20% cheaper than the cheapest place where I live.

Look forward reading the responses.

gvl

Major Contributor
If only for headphones and on the go maybe you can stretch your budget to Topping G5, I am very pleased with mine.

OP
T

t-hawk

Hi GVL, Unfortunately that stretches the budget for the portable side a little too much. I can pick up the phones DACs I listed for £50-60. For the DAC/AMP for the PC I can pick those up for around £100-130.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an SMSL DL200, two Topping DX5s and they're terrific performers. The DL200 makes a faint tick when switching bit rates, but is 5 volts output as a DAC and costs much less.
The Tanchjim Space is the best overall for mobile use for it's size and price. I have a Topping G5 and it's for laptop use only since it's like carrying a brick around. Performance is stellar and battery goes 6+ hours depending on gain. It takes 5 hours to charge though. I have an Apple 3.5mm to USB adapter and for $9 it will power anything up to a Hifiman he5xx loud enough, but no headroom above that.

asrUser

SMSL DL200 got serious QC issues so I would refrain from it. Fiio K7 BT would be a great device. Got the K7 without bluetooth and it's very good!

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and only about a year into this audio lark. Out of everywhere I have trawled this seems to be about the most down to earth place.

I currently have an SMSL sanskrit 6th (on loan) and FiiO E9 used as the headphone amp (on loan again). This is hooked up to my PC. I listen to it through Sennheiser HD558, also have some Fostex on order which I plan on doing the mrspeaker alpha mod on. I am wanting to replace the SMSL/FiiO with an all-in-one unit. I have been looking at the SMSL C200 and DL200. Thoughts/advice on them and other potentials in that price range?

I am also wanting to invest in a DAC/AMP for my android phone for when I am working on the allotment and walking the dog. I use my bose QC35ii at the moment, I was wondering whether their would be much difference between them and say a FiiO KA13/Q11/BTR5 with my Sennheiser's?

Might be worth mentioning why I have only looked at FiiO and SMSL. I am open to other options but I can get those two brands about 20% cheaper than the cheapest place where I live.

Look forward reading the responses.
I am doubtful there is much if any audible difference between the C200 and the DL200. The C200 sometimes sells for less than the DL200 at Amazon USA. I vote for the C200 because Amir has measured it and found it to be performant.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You are unlikely to get a "sound quality" improvement with a separate DAC, but your headphones may go louder, if that's the issue.

Especially for portable use, I'd be inclined to look for more sensitive headphones first to see if that gives you the loudness you want.

OP
T

t-hawk

You are unlikely to get a "sound quality" improvement with a separate DAC, but your headphones may go louder, if that's the issue.

Especially for portable use, I'd be inclined to look for more sensitive headphones first to see if that gives you the loudness you want.
It was more a question of just keeping my bose QC35ii as my out and abouts or changing to taking my Sennheiser hd558 and pairing them with something like a FiiO Q11/BTR5/KA13 (is that an upgrade or a waste of money). Would their be much difference in the quality of the audio?

gvl

Major Contributor
Hi GVL, Unfortunately that stretches the budget for the portable side a little too much. I can pick up the phones DACs I listed for £50-60. For the DAC/AMP for the PC I can pick those up for around £100-130.

You can use the G5 both on PC and portable, so you don’t need to buy 2 devices.

OP
T

t-hawk

You can use the G5 both on PC and portable, so you don’t need to buy 2 devices.
The topping G5 is still a little expensive at £299 here in the UK and I can't get them the same way I can get FiiO and SMSL (under £200 for both) so no discount on that price unfortunately :(

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
The topping G5 is still a little expensive at £299 here in the UK and I can't get them the same way I can get FiiO and SMSL (under £200 for both) so no discount on that price unfortunately :(
I don't mean to be facetious.....

It appears your HD558 headphones are more efficient than average. I wonder if a 'U.S. spec' Apple audio dongle with a USB-C connector could adequately drive your Sennheiser HD558 headphones as a stop-gap ? - such that it would give you more time to save up for a Topping G5 ?

IF the Topping G5 is NOT unwieldy for you as a portable DAC/Amp, consider saving up for it. Amir measured the G5 as very performant and powerful - should you change to less efficient headphones later.

OP
T

t-hawk

Alas, the wife sets the budget and I'm not about to go over it happy wife, happy life.

Also I'm yet to break the news to her about upgrading the kitchen audio......

If the HD558 with a mobile DAC won't be much of an improvement over the QC35ii then that's budget that can move over to the desktop DAC/Amp.

Heading to Asia in a few weeks where I have friends who can get smsl and FiiO audio cheap.

Top Bottom