• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the Topping A50 headphone amp appeared yet?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The measurements from manufacturer are often too "optimistic" so it can easily measure worse.

Also, I could not find any charts for the whole frequency range. If simple specs from the producer or questionable sources are enough compared to rich and standarized tests here, then what's the point of ASR? I wasn't under impression that the data so far makes A50 an underwhelming amp.
be0068ffeb13d800442594e201a24dbd.jpg
171d0691f6d343a7e76f8a163d819165.jpg
6f06dda3d926deefdac233e749eacaa0.jpg
94fc3ebb159e7ad3207c4e81bb51e4a6.jpg

What else do you want?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tbh it has balanced output and very nice build but it doesn't look good for it's price especially with that impedance. Amps like Atom and Heresy spoiled us. Can't wait for L30. I've ordered E30 but i have no amp :( I hope build is similiar to silver E30 or A50. You shared some measurements and they look great but how is the impedance ? Don't know why Topping amps struggling with it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Tbh it has balanced output and very nice build but it doesn't look good for it's price especially with that impedance. Amps like Atom and Heresy spoiled us. Can't wait for L30. I've ordered E30 but i have no amp :( I hope build is similiar to silver E30 or A50. You shared some measurements and they look great but how is the impedance ? Don't know why Topping amps struggling with it.
Will be as good as A90 using unbalanced connection. less than 0.1ohm output impedance.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A lot of power for a headphone amp.
Suitable also as a power amp for high efficiency horn speakers.

Lolito

Use schiit as an example. Is there any discrepancy between amir's measurements and their published AP report?

I will use schiit as an example: without amir results to contrast, schitt measurements, or any other manufacturer measurements means absolutely and totally nothing. Without amir results, any other measurements can not be contrasted, no matter how true they might be. This is no difference, and you work for topping. So the topping data, until it's measured here, means absolutely and totally nothing, even though they could the most acurate ever, because being from the manufacturer, the trustability index of that information is 0,00000000000000%

LOL.

foggyeyes

Don't really know what to say first. I'm not an experienced audiophile, and English isn't my native language...
Build quality, as was stated above, is perfect. It's also quite heavy. Got it for 164$ via Ali (w/discount). Came in a weighty box, with PSU (rated at 15V 1A) and manual, measurements paper.
Firstly, despite the declared output power of 160 mW/300ohm at the single ended output, I can't say that it makes my Sennheisers painfully loud (but it should, according to their sensivity) with a knob set to the max volume when using the low gain. For example, while listening to classical music or vinyl records, you need to turn the volume at about three o'clock using the high gain to achieve good loudness level. Most music plays at a comfortable volume at hour o'clock using low gain, so i sticked to it. It depends on the source you using too, maybe my DAC output is weak, i dont know.
The sound signature is flat, pretty transparent, This amp certainly won't give you a wow effect. My DAC and headphones are quite bright sounding, so does the amp. mid-bass is good, powerful enough even in my HD600. mids in general are clear, not decreased in any way.
Can't say much about the soundstage, 'cause in HD600 it's quite narrow by-design. Vocal and instrumental music is a really pleasure to listen. Be aware of an audible (but very very quiet) hiss when using the low impedance in ear monitors, even at low gain (tested with TFZ T2 Galaxy 16ohm, 3.5mm).
Would I recommend it? I'd rather wait till the new amps from Topping will be released (pretty soon, judging by the JohnYang1997 messages).

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_234337.jpg
    IMG_20200506_234337.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 238

foggyeyes

I will use schiit as an example: without amir results to contrast, schitt measurements, or any other manufacturer measurements means absolutely and totally nothing. Without amir results, any other measurements can not be contrasted, no matter how true they might be. This is no difference, and you work for topping. So the topping data, until it's measured here, means absolutely and totally nothing, even though they could the most acurate ever, because being from the manufacturer, the trustability index of that information is 0,00000000000000%

LOL.
I haven't heard of fake measurement cases from Topping. At least, results of all devices which Amir measured were comparable to the manufacturer ones.
Schiit is another thing IMHO

Lolito

I will use schiit as an example: without amir results to contrast, schitt measurements, or any other manufacturer measurements means absolutely and totally nothing. Without amir results, any other measurements can not be contrasted, no matter how true they might be. This is no difference, and you work for topping.
I haven't heard of fake measurement cases from Topping. At least, results of all devices which Amir measured were comparable to the manufacturer ones.
Schiit is another thing IMHO

the whole deal is that until there are no measurements with a comparable source to actually confirm those measurements, that data means nothing. Not that that data is not accurate or true, can be absolutely precise and exact, but without a trustable source to confirm it, it's about trust only, not confirmed. Not to mention many times certain specs will not be shown, like for example high impedance in topping amps, not working well with certain iem's.

kkeretic

I have two of these amps and both the PSUs that came with the devices emit whine noise when the devices are turned off. These PSUs also look and feel somewhat cheap. Well, once the devices are turned on, whining noise stops. Any recommendation for some serious third party 15V PSU with reasonable price (wall or notebook one - except P50 that is just to expensive IMHO for what it does and I really don't want more Topping stuff at the moment)?

auronthas

Hi, just ordered A50 and only noticed A50s will be available soon .

My question: If I do not have low impedance or high sensitivity headphone (my current one are HD650 and Drop+HIFIMan HE4xx), is it necessary to upgrade to A50s ? Knowing there's 4.4mm balanced output vs. 2.5mm balanced output on A50.

Veri

Master Contributor
My question: If I do not have low impedance or high sensitivity headphone (my current one are HD650 and Drop+HIFIMan HE4xx), is it necessary to upgrade to A50s ? Knowing there's 4.4mm balanced output vs. 2.5mm balanced output on A50.
If you want 2.5mm then A50 is the way to go. Your headphones aren't super demanding. A50s will be a hair cleaner, of course. But it won't be available "soon" can take quite some time.

auronthas

If you want 2.5mm then A50 is the way to go. Your headphones aren't super demanding. A50s will be a hair cleaner, of course. But it won't be available "soon" can take quite some time.
Thanks, that is why I opt for A50 and not A90 . I hope my new D90 and A50 will be a good synergy since my headphones are not super demanding LOL.

casperl

Hi all,

Disclaimer before everything, I wanted to upgrade my music experience and are therefore totally new in the dac/amp/hifi world, this question is about my first ever dac/amp stack, the D50s and A50.

I just bought myself a D50s/A50 stack and just plugged them in (no audio test yet) and I noticed a few things and I wonder if they are supposed to be this way or that I have a faulty unit.

1. The most worrying point is that the aluminum housing of the A50 is totally static when it is connected with the adapter it came with. If you rub you fingers over the top you can clearly feel the electricity... Is this going to affect the sound quality? (this sounds like a stupid question without testing it myself first, probably it is haha, but I was stupid enough not to order any RCA cables with it so I need to go out the door to get some first).
2. The second point is that the D50s DAC makes a ticking sound when turned on or off. Is this supposed to be this way? I can remember from back when I had electronic courses there is this component called a relay switch, is it coming from such a thing? Sorry, if it sounds paranoid but when I invest in something I want it to work properly.

I hope you can ease my mind a bit with some answers.

kkeretic

1. The most worrying point is that the aluminum housing of the A50 is totally static when it is connected with the adapter it came with. If you rub you fingers over the top you can clearly feel the electricity... Is this going to affect the sound quality? (this sounds like a stupid question without testing it myself first, probably it is haha, but I was stupid enough not to order any RCA cables with it so I need to go out the door to get some first).
Connect it with your D50s via RCA cables and "feel the electricity" should be gone. If not, try to plug it to some other power outlet (preferably in another room). Before you mess with RCA cables, unplug both of the devices from their power sources.
2. The second point is that the D50s DAC makes a ticking sound when turned on or off. Is this supposed to be this way? I can remember from back when I had electronic courses there is this component called a relay switch, is it coming from such a thing? Sorry, if it sounds paranoid but when I invest in something I want it to work properly.
Everything is OK, these are relays, more precisely a relay.

Last edited:

casperl

Thanks, now I need to find proper RCA cables which are not long, which is not easy I see, most are 1> meter and since these devices are stacked that is way too long haha.

MalinYamato

Adding shipping cost, in my country Sweden Topping A50 from Audioiphonics (France) is cheaper than Magni 3 Hersey from Schiit (their store in the UK). Moreover, A50 is in stock, Hersey is not. Which one is the better choice for my Denon Ah-D7200 and HifiMan Sundara? I have been thinking of a budget solutions by combining Topping E30 with Hersey, but recently I have spotted this A50 which is cheaper than Hersey and looks good with D50s, which I would love to have as well and perhaps I should also include a P50 to get a small gorgeous stack.... omg, this is getting expensive.

Top Bottom