• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend a small inexpensive (dongle) USB DAC-amp or just DAC

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Right now my Bed-Fi® setup consists of:
Dell Latitude E6330 w/ Windows 10 and Foobar2000 --> JDS Labs Atom Amp+ --> HD600

Which is basically adequate but there's something screwy going on with the highs in the IDT onboard audio unless I upsample which takes some CPU time even with the Foobar2000 SoX resampler, and the less fan noise the better.

So I'd like something that provides good clean output at mostly 44.1k/48k, ideally with low periodic passband ripple in a "standard" fast rolloff filter, is USB powered with a cable (the Latitude has USB type A, and the port I'd use is at the back), compact, decently robust, not lit up like a Christmas tree, has either a 3.5 mm stereo or twin RCA output (right now I'm using a Fiio L3 interconnect, otherwise I only have a shabby old RCA cable to spare), and is easily obtained e.g. via Amazon here in Germany, preferably for around 100€ or less. Something that can drive HD600s directly with plenty of gain reserve would reduce the (unwelcome) cable clutter but it would be a bit of a shame to render the Atom Amp+ unemployed.

What I have looked at:
Fiio E10K Type-C (69€) - seems basically adequate (dynamic range plenty, output and distortion fine, filter so-so) but reports of failing USB jacks have me slightly worried
Fiio KA1 (59€/49€) - again basically (more than) adequate but a bit much ESS hump for my liking
Fiio KA3 (89€) - seems better
Fiio KA5 (139€) - the option of having Toslink out is neat though I don't even have any DAC for it, and it's getting a bit $$$
Topping DX1 (99€) - a contender for sure, even if maximum output would be a step back from the Atom Amp+
Topping E30 II Lite (99€) - still limited availability, but seemingly improving
iFi GO Link (59€) - seems similar to KA1, cable not too robust?
Fosi Audio DS1 (89.99€) - seems similar to KA3, otherwise no idea
Qudelix-5K (129€) - I don't really need its DSP capabilities here, and again getting a bit $$$
EDIT: Moondrop Dawn (49€) - seems like a good one, but not quickly available?
Any t ()houghts?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Something that can drive HD600s directly with plenty of gain reserve would reduce the (unwelcome) cable clutter but it would be a bit of a shame to render the Atom Amp+ unemployed.
Convenience is king :)
Topping DX1 or Qudelix 5K

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the Soundblaster X1. For $50 it outputs 2.4 volts when it detects over 150 ohm which powers a ton of headphones even the DT880 600ohm got loud enough, but no headroom left.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All below 100 usd:
Tanchjim Space
Truthear Shio
TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro

...and a 4.4 mm balanced cable for you headphones.

Barrelhouse Solly

TempoTec has several different dongles that all put out 2 V RMS and measure well. As low as $35 on sale.

OP
AnalogSteph

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
OK, that one seems to be quite readily available (89.99€ from Shenzhenaudio store).

Notes seem to indicate that a driver is required for the PC, is that correct?

Truthear Shio
I can kinda get that one, too.
TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro
TempoTec anything is available as US import only. Eh...

Another potential option that occurred to me... I still have a NOS FiiO M3K that I bought as a spare for my first one as it became obvious that they weren't going to be around forever. That can be used as a DAC, too. I'd hate to liberate it from its packaging years from now only to find that the battery is deep discharged and not taking a charge, so that may be one way to put it to work in the meantime.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
I traded in my Chord Mojo for the Nextdrive Spectra, then traded that in for a Fiio KA3 which ticks all the boxes.
Imo there's nothing not to like about the KA3. Ofc it sucks your phone's battery life but what dongle doesn't?
There's a newer version FiiO just bought out with a different DAC and architecture and I'd be interested to sample it but haven't had the chance.

The Mojo could power anything and those glowing balls drew a lot of admiring glances 'Hey baby, wanna see my glowing balls. I got three of them ;)' :facepalm:
..but I always thought it was overrated in terms of meh sonic ability, heavy, as well as the fact that when the internal battery dies it would just become an expensive paperweight unless you dig into it to replace the battery yourself. Meh to that.

The KA3 sounds tip-top, has 4.4mm and 3.5mm outs, does up to DSD512 and some handy-dandy rolloff filters, although tbh I can't really tell the difference between them.
Mojo.jpg

DSC_0244_1_1_1.png

13.JPG

Last edited:

ChrisCables

Audio Company
I'd respectfully suggest that anything over 0.1mA draw is technically 'sucking your phone's battery life'.
The real-world effeciency of a dongleDAC when using it with a phone is to levy it against the phone's battery capacity obviously.
My KA3 goes all day processing DSD, using my 300ohm HD-650s with my el cheapo Xiaomi 4500mAh phone and gives NO concerns about my phone dying as a consequence.
I think iPhone users would need to consider power efficiency more closely however.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Out of interest, what's the main factor that differenciates the current draw of those devices you listed?
I'm assuming processing software/firmware implementation (?)
Firmware is a part of it, but it's mainly the components used (USB bridge, DAC chip, number and type of op amps).

JLGF1

Imo there's nothing not to like about the KA3.

If there's no GEQ/PEQ that could be one thing, imo. For $10 more you could have the Qudelix 5K.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 190627.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-23 190714.jpg

Last edited:

LDvo

If you don't mind to buy from Ali and wait little bit - i would wait for 11-11 sale.
Last year i got Topping DX1 with 25% off with coupon.
I also have FiiO KA3 (compact solid heavy build with balanced out) - even after firmware update and playing with
FiiO App setting - I prefer sound of DX1.
I also heard good things about TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro, but as i don't have it - cannot compare.

Top Bottom