• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the Topping A50 headphone amp appeared yet?

wassim01

This might be a headphone issue. I also have the AKG712 but prefer the Senn HD650 for music listening. I’m using D50 for DAC and Geshelli Archel2. I’ve tried other Senns and decided on the HD650 (I hated HD800 for its brightness).
I also have the akg k712 pro as headphone for music and for gaming, before I tried it with a soundblaster ae-5 sound card and a dac / amp ifi zen dac and the sound quality was poor. but after changing my dac and my amp for a smsl m300 mk2 + smsl sp200 and after a burn-in period of a week this is where the akg gives all are potential. the staging is huge and dynamic with a very good separation of instruments, the general sound quality is fantastic it's like listening to a 3d sound.

Last edited:

TomB19

By the way, that fancy USB cable connects to a Rosewill USB hub that is attached to the back of the monitor which is then connected to the computer with a slightly conductive rope.

The longer USB cable just arrived from Covid Audio out of China. Now it goes straight from the DAC to the tower without passing through the hub and less glamorous USB cable.

It seems to make a few of the locals upset that some of us want cables that look like quality but is that really the worst way to spend $25? Even a low end cable costs 10 bucks so it doesn't cost much to have a nicely detailed system.

I still like the A50 but it does get discouraging at times when it reveals the limitations of the source material, which is most of the time.

escalibur

Still no measurements?

Veri

Master Contributor
Weird eh? It seems as though audiosciencereview measures every Topping device except this one. And there's already someone pushing for the A50s around here.
No one has sent one in. Including Topping.
Amir can't measure what he doesn't have.

clemenules

No one has sent one in. Including Topping.
Amir can't measure what he doesn't have.
It wasn't meant as a slight against Amir or this site - after all I'm not entitled to determine how Amir spends his free time :)

But looking at the list of their products in the review index it is surprising to me Topping didn't send it in.

TomB19

There are objective reviews of the A50 with response curves, etc., just not on this site. Find them with a google search.

kkeretic

I dont buy anything now which isnt measured well in this forum
I believe my Asus Xonar ST soundcard measures much much worse than A50, but to my ears it sounds better than A50. I found numerous times stuff that measures purely sound great.

clemenules

There are objective reviews of the A50 with response curves, etc., just not on this site. Find them with a google search.
I have searched, and I didn't find any. Only this one with only a frequency response graph. I'd be happy to find out from you which ones you found? Many people in this thread would be appreciative :)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The longer USB cable just arrived from Covid Audio out of China. Now it goes straight from the DAC to the tower without passing through the hub and less glamorous USB cable.

It seems to make a few of the locals upset that some of us want cables that look like quality but is that really the worst way to spend $25? Even a low end cable costs 10 bucks so it doesn't cost much to have a nicely detailed system.

I still like the A50 but it does get discouraging at times when it reveals the limitations of the source material, which is most of the time.

I thought this was an April Fools Day joke until I googled them... unfortunate name... :eek:

Martin

Fawzay

Is there any audible difference between the d50 and d50s? i just do not want to buy another dac just paired it with the a50s when it launches...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is there any audible difference between the d50 and d50s? i just do not want to buy another dac just paired it with the a50s when it launches...
If you enjoy D50 just fine then there's simply no need.

Applefanboi

Hi guys,

just want to check I have recently purchase the d50s and I am using a audioengine hd3 (one side passive and one side active speaker). I realise that if I connect to Bluetooth for audioengine hd3 it sounds a lot louder. While if I switch to USB input for d50s . It sounds softer in volume. I didn’t notice any improvement in sound quality. It’s in fact sound worse than my hd3 (bluetooth connected) vs d50s (usb connected)

hence, if I purchase a A50 to add on to my d50s. And connect the rca output of the amp to my AE HD3 speakers rca input. Would I hear a difference in sound quality? Would it be louder or bypass the inbuild dac of hd3?
Thank you.

saturnaal

Hi guys,

just want to check I have recently purchase the d50s and I am using a audioengine hd3 (one side passive and one side active speaker). I realise that if I connect to Bluetooth for audioengine hd3 it sounds a lot louder. While if I switch to USB input for d50s . It sounds softer in volume. I didn’t notice any improvement in sound quality. It’s in fact sound worse than my hd3 (bluetooth connected) vs d50s (usb connected)

hence, if I purchase a A50 to add on to my d50s. And connect the rca output of the amp to my AE HD3 speakers rca input. Would I hear a difference in sound quality? Would it be louder or bypass the inbuild dac of hd3?
Thank you.

If you connect the RCA inputs on your Audioengine HD3 speakers to the RCA output on the A50/A50s, when the A50 is off it will pass the signal directly from your D50s to the amplifier section of the HD3, bypassing the internal DAC. This is based on my current understanding of the HD3. I'd be willing to bet the D50s is a much better DAC than the onboard in the HD3, so stick to analog inputs and you should be fine.

Top Bottom