• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has Dirac given up on PC and Mac

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For those running OS X, I would highly recommend SoundSource. It is one of the most useful audio-related utilities available for the platform and functions as an AU host (among many other things), which enables system-wide Dirac correction. :)

1600804789533.png

ElNino

For those running OS X, I would highly recommend SoundSource. It is one of the most useful audio-related utilities available for the platform and functions as an AU host (among many other things), which enables system-wide Dirac correction. :)

View attachment 84337

I don't recommend Soundsource -- based on my experience with CoreAudio programming, I'm almost certain they add a hidden varispeed unit to the signal processing chain to deal with clock drift. The varispeed unit may or may not be audible (probably not), but Apple's AULab utility also allows you to host AU units and doesn't do anything unusual behind the scenes. Plus it's free.

Weeb Labs

I don't recommend Soundsource -- based on my experience with CoreAudio programming, I'm almost certain they add a hidden varispeed unit to the signal processing chain to deal with clock drift. The varispeed unit may or may not be audible (probably not), but Apple's AULab utility also allows you to host AU units and doesn't do anything unusual behind the scenes. Plus it's free.
I am aware of this and it is not audible. It can momentarily be heard when toggling components on and off but is otherwise irrelevant to the listener. AULab is certainly a handy free utility but that was not my sole basis for the recommendation.

splattened

Forum Donor

Do you have a source for this? I don't disbelieve you, just interested to read more. A Google search didn't really turn anything up for me (unless I did a terrible job).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is simple if you understand how it works conceptually and Dirac folks don't necessarily make it easier.

Dirac Live stand-alone on a PC comes as two pieces of software which are named too close to each other creating confusion.

Dirac Live is the measurement tool used only for setting up the filters and taking the measurements for it.
Dirac Live Processor is a separate downloaded software that comes as VST and this is the software equivalent of the external hardware box with Dirac in them.

You need to install both. The install of the latter will tell you where it is installing the VSTs or ask you to choose.

Once you have the above software installed what you want to achieve falls in three buckets with different ways to achieve it.

1. You want a VST-aware media player use the DLP VSTs. Then you point the media player to use the installed VST and let it play something through it (initially with no filters it will do nothing).
2. You are using a media player that isn't VST aware and/or you want to set it up for any media player to go through but only interested in 2.0 stereo only. For this look up the instruction sheet from Dirac for setting up the VST using a VST Host and then connecting to it via a virtual audio cable.
3. If you want the same as 2 above but want multi-channel capability, then look up the instructions from Dirac for setting up a VST Host and using Voicemeeter Banana to install that processor in the audio chain. I have provided some notes on this as well in my guide for setting up a soft-avr on the PC
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-a-8-ch-pre-pro-experiment.14785/post-462828

Now run Dirac live and it will find the DLP on startup in any of the above configurations and allow you to measure and install the filters to it.

There is no bass management in DLP as yet as far as I know. So if you want to do bass management, then you will have to do it outside it. Your AVR downstream might be able to do it or you can do it in software on the PC itself.

Or if all the above is too much buy a miniDSP DDRC box and just plug it in and Dirac Live will find it.
Should you continue to play something through the DL processor while you are in the measurement process. I tried that and the music did not stop and it didn't do any sweeps. Instead it posted a message that the sweeps were unacceptable because of a high s/n ratio. In other words, how do I get it to run sweeps if program matrial is playing through the d/l processor?

Vasr

Major Contributor
Should you continue to play something through the DL processor while you are in the measurement process. I tried that and the music did not stop and it didn't do any sweeps. Instead it posted a message that the sweeps were unacceptable because of a high s/n ratio. In other words, how do I get it to run sweeps if program matrial is playing through the d/l processor?

If DL found the right DLP to start and you hear no sweeps or the audio does not cut off that means DLP is not participating in your audio chain. You should check the DLP (VST) interface to ensure that the volume meters are lighting up when the music is playing and that the gain control on the plugin properties does change the volume of the music is playing. If not, then the VST has not been set up correctly in the middle of the audio chain.

Tekton2

I got Dirac to show up but it didn't work right so I just gave up and figured out how to use REW. I can't compare the two so I don't know if there is a difference but my system sounds better after EQ so it was worth the price of a UMIK-1.

fabio978

The process starts by running the calibration and measurement using a microphone you provide. The software directs you to place the microphone in different places and makes a measurement. When done with the last spot, it generates a set of filter that you can save. You can have a few of these and select between them later.

Once you have the filter, you provide it to the interface to the virtual sound driver. The virtual sound driver looks like an audio interface to your audio player. The virtual interface transforms the bits it receives from the player to account for the filter you created above. It then hands the bits to the actual audio device of your choice.

This is how it has worked. How it works in the new version remains to be seen.

As for CPU usage, it is very small on my Intel i5 machine.

And yes, it needs to be running all the time but it doesn't use CPU until you try to play against the virtual device driver.

WOW it's seems perfect to me.

I use my mac with tidal hifi!

So i can install Dirac Live® Desktop

Buy a certified mic.

Run the calibration.

And then select from my tidal the dirac output and enjoy my music.

What is the difference between

Dirac
Sonarwork 300 euro with mic
rew (it's free!!)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What is the difference between
Basically the same, with the files being created in the PC. BUT no hand holding, (wizard), you make each individual measurement yourself and enter it into a database

tiagobdonoso

If DL found the right DLP to start and you hear no sweeps or the audio does not cut off that means DLP is not participating in your audio chain. You should check the DLP (VST) interface to ensure that the volume meters are lighting up when the music is playing and that the gain control on the plugin properties does change the volume of the music is playing. If not, then the VST has not been set up correctly in the middle of the audio chain.
I solved the issue here of working unexpectedly. I changed my DAC to 96khz 24bits, which is Dirac max, and did the same inside the Dirac Processor to match. It's working now!

Top Bottom