• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has Dirac given up on PC and Mac

astr0b0y

The Dirac 2 available to download now is for use with external hardware like AV receivers or some DSP systems (like from miniDSP).
The standalone versions are rumoured to become available next month.
Process for using Dirac is essentially the same in terms of measurement and setting up target curves for the optimiser to work against.
Not use how the new standalone versions will work but it would need to run in some form all the time. CPU load is high when it is calculating filters but not while running as a DSP.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there a really basic guide on what dirac is, how it works? I understand that on audio video recievers you just run it, and it corrects the frequency response in room. Does the software do the same thing? Needs to be running at all times in the background? Does it use a lot of CPU?
The process starts by running the calibration and measurement using a microphone you provide. The software directs you to place the microphone in different places and makes a measurement. When done with the last spot, it generates a set of filter that you can save. You can have a few of these and select between them later.

Once you have the filter, you provide it to the interface to the virtual sound driver. The virtual sound driver looks like an audio interface to your audio player. The virtual interface transforms the bits it receives from the player to account for the filter you created above. It then hands the bits to the actual audio device of your choice.

This is how it has worked. How it works in the new version remains to be seen.

As for CPU usage, it is very small on my Intel i5 machine.

And yes, it needs to be running all the time but it doesn't use CPU until you try to play against the virtual device driver.

Delacroix

wonder if you could be able to run it on a Raspberry PI. I'm using a Raspberry PI 4 with Volumio connected via USB to a Cambridge CXA80.
Edit: although it would be great to run Dirac Live on Roon, would use the RPI as Roon Bridge. (Ropieee image)

Tekton2

I just downloaded Dirac 3 for Windows. When I run the program it says "Select Device" then "No Devices Found". Do I need to run some sort of virtual device program?

I have a PC with USB out to my DAC and then to an integrated amp. I'd like to skip the hardware like miniDSP and just run Dirac on my PC. Is this possible?

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just downloaded Dirac 3 for Windows. When I run the program it says "Select Device" then "No Devices Found". Do I need to run some sort of virtual device program?

I have a PC with USB out to my DAC and then to an integrated amp. I'd like to skip the hardware like miniDSP and just run Dirac on my PC. Is this possible?

Believe you need a software to load dirac as a vst plugin. Haven't had time to try it personally, probably others will give you a better answer.
https://live.dirac.com/content/uploads/2020/03/setupvsthostwithdlp.pdf

mitchco

Audio Company

What @whazzup said... Here is a walkthrough to get you started: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...al-room-correction-software-walkthrough-r884/

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Believe you need a software to load dirac as a vst plugin. Haven't had time to try it personally, probably others will give you a better answer.
https://live.dirac.com/content/uploads/2020/03/setupvsthostwithdlp.pdf
Go to "live.dirac.com/download/" from there go to the bottom of the screen where it says "Dirac for Windows" click on the box, and download either 32 bit or 64 bit dirac. It will save to the common directory of your programs directory (64 bit) or the vst and vst 3 for the x86 program directory. Go to JRiver =>player=>dsp studio=>manage plug ins and navigate to the program directory where the 64 bit or 32 bit plug ins are stored and follow the regular procedure to input them to the dsp studio. From there it's a matter of getting the license squared away, and then the product is ready for use as a dsp plug in to JRiver.

Dinajijic

I had the same problems when I was setting up the program. The key is the plugin need to be installed (I use Jriver Media Center), and the plugin needs to be running when you load the measurement software. Not only do you have to activate the plugin, but music has to be playing with the plugin activated when you start the measurements (I used a track that is 25 minutes long). After you choose your microphone in the measurement program and go to the next step to set your levels, the music will no longer be heard. I hope I haven't confused you even more, but it took me awhile to figure it out (with some help from Flavio), as it's not a very intuitive process, to say the least.

Tekton2

Thanks for everyone's input. This seems ridiculously difficult, however. I cannot use Jriver because it won't stream Tidal, which is my main source of music. I cannot use Referenceworks 4 because I have a USB microphone (UMIK-1) and they don't support USB microphones. Just tried it, the program crashed and their website says they don't support it.

I might be able to run Dirac if I can find the VST files and copy them to the Audirvana VST area but I forgot where that is and I cannot find the Dirac VST files. I would buy a miniDSP but I need to go digital out (USB from my computer) to the miniDSP and then digital out to my DAC and they only seem to offer analog out where the miniDSP would be my new DAC and I don't want that.

It seems like this could all be made considerably simpler. I had expected to run Dirac, hold up my microphone, let it measure stuff, then correct it -- bingo, done. Not even close.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dinajijic

Thanks for everyone's input. This seems ridiculously difficult, however. I cannot use Jriver because it won't stream Tidal, which is my main source of music. I cannot use Referenceworks 4 because I have a USB microphone (UMIK-1) and they don't support USB microphones. Just tried it, the program crashed and their website says they don't support it.

I might be able to run Dirac if I can find the VST files and copy them to the Audirvana VST area but I forgot where that is and I cannot find the Dirac VST files. I would buy a miniDSP but I need to go digital out (USB from my computer) to the miniDSP and then digital out to my DAC and they only seem to offer analog out where the miniDSP would be my new DAC and I don't want that.

It seems like this could all be made considerably simpler. I had expected to run Dirac, hold up my microphone, let it measure stuff, then correct it -- bingo, done. Not even close.

Anyone have any ideas?

Audirvana will find the VST3 plugin automatically. It is in the C:\Program Files\Common Files

Vasr

Major Contributor

Anyone have any ideas?

It is simple if you understand how it works conceptually and Dirac folks don't necessarily make it easier.

Dirac Live stand-alone on a PC comes as two pieces of software which are named too close to each other creating confusion.

Dirac Live is the measurement tool used only for setting up the filters and taking the measurements for it.
Dirac Live Processor is a separate downloaded software that comes as VST and this is the software equivalent of the external hardware box with Dirac in them.

You need to install both. The install of the latter will tell you where it is installing the VSTs or ask you to choose.

Once you have the above software installed what you want to achieve falls in three buckets with different ways to achieve it.

1. You want a VST-aware media player use the DLP VSTs. Then you point the media player to use the installed VST and let it play something through it (initially with no filters it will do nothing).
2. You are using a media player that isn't VST aware and/or you want to set it up for any media player to go through but only interested in 2.0 stereo only. For this look up the instruction sheet from Dirac for setting up the VST using a VST Host and then connecting to it via a virtual audio cable.
3. If you want the same as 2 above but want multi-channel capability, then look up the instructions from Dirac for setting up a VST Host and using Voicemeeter Banana to install that processor in the audio chain. I have provided some notes on this as well in my guide for setting up a soft-avr on the PC
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-a-8-ch-pre-pro-experiment.14785/post-462828

Now run Dirac live and it will find the DLP on startup in any of the above configurations and allow you to measure and install the filters to it.

There is no bass management in DLP as yet as far as I know. So if you want to do bass management, then you will have to do it outside it. Your AVR downstream might be able to do it or you can do it in software on the PC itself.

Or if all the above is too much buy a miniDSP DDRC box and just plug it in and Dirac Live will find it.

Tekton2

I can run VSTs from Audirvana. I have Waves Q10 running on it now. After installing Dirac Live Processor I don't see anything loadable within Audirvana and I cannot find any new files in other directories that look like DLP VST files. Do you know the names of these files, perhaps?

Dinajijic

I can run VSTs from Audirvana. I have Waves Q10 running on it now. After installing Dirac Live Processor I don't see anything loadable within Audirvana and I cannot find any new files in other directories that look like DLP VST files. Do you know the names of these files, perhaps?
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (5).png

Tekton2

Ah, I had not actually downloaded the Dirac Live "Processor" program, which installed the VSTs that are now found on Audirvana. Thank you! One more question -- on device calibration file do I use 0 or 90 degrees?

ElNino

Does anyone know if there are any differences between "Dirac Live for Studio" (link) and "Dirac Live Processor"?

Tekton2

Vasr & others, thank you! Well, I got it all going (had to play music as dinajijic mentioned) and got up to the position measurement and got an error as follows:

Cannot control the Dirac Live Processor - 5327

The Dirac Live Processor - 5327 is behaving in an unexpected way and may be out-of-synch with the Dirac Live application.

Restart the Dirac Live Processor - 5327

I'm going to pass this on to the Dirac guys and if I can't get it to work then I'm going to quit. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Vasr

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if there are any differences between "Dirac Live for Studio" (link) and "Dirac Live Processor"?

Dirac Live for Studio is just market-speak for Dirac Live for the Pro Audio market. There is no separate software.

I think there are two different teams at Dirac creating the web site independently without talking to each other. At least that is what it looks like to me. :)

All the links pretty much land up here to download
https://live.dirac.com/download/

You need Dirac Live download and Dirac Live Processor download on that page for your PC or Mac to run stand alone on the computer. Just Dirac Live if you want to measure for an external Dirac enabled hardware.

The different types of purchases are controlled by what licenses are purchased on your account. Software remains the same.

Biblob

Doesn't Equaliser APO have an VST implementation? If so isn't that the easiest way to integrate the Dirac VST system-wide?

Vasr

Major Contributor
Doesn't Equaliser APO have an VST implementation? If so isn't that the easiest way to integrate the Dirac VST system-wide?

In theory, yes. Equalizer APO can work as a VST Host for VST2 (making sure you use the same 32-bit or 64-bit implementations for both) plugins only, so you have to pick the right VST from DLP installation. But I was never able to get it to work and ran out of patience to debug it. My EAPO was attached to Voicemeeter Banana already for systemwide bass management and level/delay setting so I got a separate VST Host and attached it as a patch to VMB.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Cannot control the Dirac Live Processor - 5327

The Dirac Live Processor - 5327 is behaving in an unexpected way and may be out-of-synch with the Dirac Live application.

Restart the Dirac Live Processor - 5327

I'm going to pass this on to the Dirac guys and if I can't get it to work then I'm going to quit. Thanks to everyone for your help!
I've run into this error trying to connect to the VST inside JRiver. Did the Dirac guys get back to you?

EDIT: Looks like a file needs to be playing while connection is made.

Hopefully in the future you'll be able to purchase an add-on PC soundcard that's Dirac-aware and we can skip all this VST, virtual audio cable, etc. nonsense. Not a very user friendly setup, even if the calibration itself is simple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom