• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Has civility on ASR declined recently?

JonfromCB

Public forums are a reflection of our society. New and improved idiots are evolving faster than God can replace them with cognizant, rational, intellegent human beings. There is also an increasing number of idealists (this thread?) that feel the need to police, control and legislate the behavior and views of others. Good luck "legislating" the morality or behaviors of others in a society where lies and conspiricy theories are spewed from elected officials, cable and radio outlets and even worse, consistenty believed by more than 30% of the population who are more selfish, more socially isolated, less well read, and not smart enough to discern propaganda from facts. Fascism commeth, even faster than in the 1920s.

Last edited:

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What if the moderators could shunt all of the threads that open with strong subjectivist claims to their own part of the forum?

It is throwing a bit of a turd in the punch bowl to come over here and assert that you heard night and day differences after installing your cable risers. Not unlike going to Audiogon and challenging them to a blind test (now who would do that?). It is only reasonable to expect push back.

But I think people need to be a touch less sensitive. It’s the internet, people say stuff. If you don’t like the tone, say so. Direct engagement in good faith usually turns the temperature down pretty fast.

Jimbob54

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What if the moderators could shunt all of the threads that open with strong subjectivist claims to their own part of the forum?

It is throwing a bit of a turd in the punch bowl to come over here and assert that you heard night and day differences after installing your cable risers. Not unlike going to Audiogon and challenging them to a blind test (now who would do that?). It is only reasonable to expect push back.

But I think people need to be a touch less sensitive. It’s the internet, people say stuff. If you don’t like the tone, say so. Direct engagement in good faith usually turns the temperature down pretty fast.
I find the tone of the original post, or at least the tone of that posters first reply to the first challenging post, dictates the rest of the exchange.

The person that accepts their opinions and uncontrolled observations are just that is fine. The one that mentions "cult" early out of the gate or the infallibility of ears is going to get a fair bit of robust challenge

Svperstar

Way late to this thread but its not nearly as bad some other forums. Any of you guys tried posting on SBA? When you have an entire forum started by people because they were banned from Head-Fi because of their angry attitudes you know you are getting off to a bad start lol.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

JRS

That with OT has been an eternal and livabde discussion on all sorts of forums I have been to. These are not natural laws we are talking about here. This is what those who decide on the forum's focus, policy, rules and so on choose it should be.Then take into account what Killdozzer wrote in the thread above. The complexity and how things can be connected. So what exactly is OT?:)

Then what is OT? Say a thread about sharing tips on making mussels in white wine. So are tips on oysters in white wine OT? Mussels in red wine? Suggest recipes for mussels with more lemon than than wine in the sauce? Suggestions for beef fillet and pepper sauce? Or in that thread tips on how to wash the car in the best way?
I abhor all molluscs except scallops, but highly recommend the film Mussel Shoals.

pseudoid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...We don't let trolls fester...
... and you are disparaging real Trolls
Snag_f2de260.png

pseudoid

Forum Donor
It's a text snippet i collected somewhere, the original author is unknown as far as i can tell.
Perhaps, work of the devil we call "auto-correct"?

egellings

Major Contributor
Audio is a lot like politics, in which devotees of various kinds of equipment entrench into camps and defend the fort.

pseudoid

Forum Donor
I think everybody on this planet is a bit edgy and pissed off, for obvious reasons. Hopefully this too shall pass.
When anonymousE said "misery loves company"; I don't think there was any intention of including "everybody on this planet"!
So, I will admit that I am really no more ticked-off or closer to the edge than any time before. YMMV

voodooless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've noted improvement since this thread launched.

How is that possible? Do all the offenders actually read this, or are the main offenders participating here? Neither option sounds very credible.

pk500

When anonymousE said "misery loves company"; I don't think there was any intention of including "everybody on this planet"!
So, I will admit that I am really no more ticked-off or closer to the edge than any time before. YMMV
You're either a mental giant or very lucky if these COVID times haven't affected you mentally at all. Congrats -- sincerely!

I've noted improvement since this thread launched. Let's face it, things haven't been normal for almost 2 years now.
Ditto that, although there really is no such thing as "normal." Normality is an illusion. And if there was a drive toward "normal" by ASR members these discussions would become really, really boring.

Top Bottom