• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Reynaldo

Thanks. I’ve updated my post above, I wrongly called iis i2i initially. Not sure where that came from! Do you know whether the iis connection would work between the PO100 Pro and the x16? I don’t have a spare coax / optical input on the x16 so want to try using the iis to free up the usb input on the x16.
When I had the X16 I used the i2s with the SMSL SD-9.
It worked but with DSD the channels played inverted.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. I’ve updated my post above, I wrongly called iis i2i initially. Not sure where that came from! Do you know whether the iis connection would work between the PO100 Pro and the x16? I don’t have a spare coax / optical input on the x16 so want to try using the iis to free up the usb input on the x16.
Yes...the gustard has a IIS-H input

kopczas

I haven't tried it but I don't think it changes anything.
This is very interesting thing cause I`m not able to find any info about changes in FW 1.1. SMSL refuse to share info, Shenzenaudio routes me back to SMSL.
I couldn`t find any input from users neither. Like no one have ever updated the device.

Yes...the gustard has a IIS-H input
Many thanks. Not sure whether this is a daft question, but do you know whether IIS-H equates to mode 1 or 2 on the SMSL PO100 Pro? Diagram of the two IIS options on the PO100 Pro below.

1672432905879.png

Reynaldo

This is very interesting thing cause I`m not able to find any info about changes in FW 1.1. SMSL refuse to share info, Shenzenaudio routes me back to SMSL.
I couldn`t find any input from users neither. Like no one have ever updated the device.
Before selling the SMSL SD-9 I did both upgrades, but I didn't have the Gustard X16 anymore.
Even with the two updates I didn't notice any difference.
Technical support from both Gustard and SMSL is horrible.

I decided not to buy any more of their products. Today I have a DAC from iFi and another from Musical Fidelity.

kopczas

Technical support from both Gustard and SMSL is horrible.
As I recall then x16 was released it had issues with DSD playback. Support was great in this case.

Well, I was interested in SD-9 to replace Daphile based miniItx pc, but if smsl couln't figure out this simple problem, I can fully understand why SD-9 as a product.

Or Gustard failed in PCB design, but still they could release FW update with simply one more option in menu which would revers channel input.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor

Rewind

I bought a Gustard X16 and it has the popping sound between songs when playing DSD files. PCM files has no issues. I use the latest version of the USB update from the Gustard website, but I don’t own a programmer so the firmware is original. I listen to DSD on foobar2000 via USB and sound quality is excellent.

With headphones it is more like a quick «tick!», maybe because my AKG K-271 headphones don’t have any bass, but with my horn speakers and subwoofers, it becomes a very apparent «Pop!» It also has some scratchy sound around the same time, during the quiet period in between songs.
I contacted Audiophonics.fr and we agreed to send the unit for service under warranty. So far, a very smooth experience.

I noticed it most on the album Pink Floyd - Wish you were here, and Roxy Music - Avalon. Less so on Michael Jackson - Thriller, but it is still there.

I read an article saying it has something to do with when the DAC is checking and sometimes switching between file format for the next song. I also found this answer by Jussi in the Roonlabs forum:

«The specification requires DAC to mute output for 50 ms when DSD stream is starting and when it is ending to avoid such noises.»

So it is up the manufacturer to dampen the noise in the DAC. Apparently Gustard did not do this in the firmware version 0.01. Hopefully a firmware update will resolve the issue.

This should be an obligatory test for all DACs in the future, because it is not fun to listen to pops, ticks, and scratchy noises, when the point of listening to DSD files is to have the best possible music experience. The more I read it seems a few other DACs has this problem. When you first notice it you hear it all the time. It reminds me of the Pringles potato chips commercial: ONCE YOU POP, YOU CAN’T STOP!

To not follow DSD file specifications is pretty serious! I am surprised it does not get more attention on a site like ASR where distortion is measured down to 0.000001%.

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
There have been firmware updates to address this a while back. If you recently purchased it, I’m surprised it had the old firmware.

Rewind

There have been firmware updates to address this a while back. If you recently purchased it, I’m surprised it had the old firmware.
Audiophonics.fr will most likely recieve the programmer from Gustard and upgrade it for me. Flashing memory can be a tricky business.

raif71

Major Contributor
I've had my X16 for two years now and so far no POPs playing DSD files...using DAPs to connect to the X16 via USB and Topping M50 via IIS.

Except mute pin, these are the same.
Except mute pin, these are the same.

A couple of other pins are different or were differently labelled - I didn't know whether any of this was important. Anyway, I went ahead and purchased the SMSL PO100 Pro and it seems to be working ok with my set up (Windows 11 pc -> USB -> SMSL PO100Pro -> IIS -> Gustard x16) though I'm not sure what sample rate, MQA etc should come through.

Has freed up the USB input on the Gustard x16 and that was the intention.

kopczas

I'm not sure what sample rate, MQA etc should come through.
Shouldn`t Gustard display show the same values as file on PC output?
MQA is different story but for MQA-CD ripped into Flacs, even if Windows sees it as 44/16 audio file, X16 decodes it fully, indicates MQA and sample rate on the display.
As far as I know it`s not that simple with streaming.

Top Bottom