• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Did you install the Gustard driver for Windows?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Yes but for some reason, the output devices (on win11) do not use the custom drivers. The output USB device uses the Microsoft one.
There was an updated driver a few months ago......check the Gustard website

Snoopy

Major Contributor
It just amazes me people having problems with Windows and Gustard X16 playing DSD or X16 showing 48khz. I suppose I'm lucky not to encounter such issues and never have to upgrade fw. My playing sources are DAPs...sony nw-a45/55/105, Hiby R5, Shanling M0, Fiio M6. So far I have no problems plugging these DAPs to X16 via USB.

Windows did always suck for me with every DAC. Doesn't matter if it was the qobuz app, foodbar, audirvana or roon.

Since I changed to Mac OS + roon everything works just faultless.

I was restarting my windows machine daily and still had issues.. Mac runs for weeks with sleep mode and no problems

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Anybody know if there are discreet remote codes for the various inputs or do I have to step through them?

The display fonts are so small, I have to go right up to it.

Reynaldo

Anybody know if there are discreet remote codes for the various inputs or do I have to step through them?

The display fonts are so small, I have to go right up to it.
D_NQ_NP_723396-MLB43754309636_102020-O.webp

I think this is the only way, unfortunately.

rozel

Hi all - Just acquired a Monoprice Monolith THX AAA Balanced Headphone Amplifier featuring THX AAA 887 Technology. Thinking hard about how to set it up with my X16. So much so I've raised a few questions here: -

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nolith-thx-aaa-887-headphone-amp.31366/page-3 (post #41). Not getting much by way of any response so I thought I'd copy over given I will be connecting to my Gustard. Hoping some kind folk will be able to answer. Thanks in anticipation

anphex

Forum Donor
Hi all - Just acquired a Monoprice Monolith THX AAA Balanced Headphone Amplifier featuring THX AAA 887 Technology. Thinking hard about how to set it up with my X16. So much so I've raised a few questions here: -

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nolith-thx-aaa-887-headphone-amp.31366/page-3 (post #41). Not getting much by way of any response so I thought I'd copy over given I will be connecting to my Gustard. Hoping some kind folk will be able to answer. Thanks in anticipation

? Just plug the cables in where they belong, set the driver to sample rate and bit depth to 44,1 Khz/32 Bit unless you have ONLY high res files, pick a filter of your liking and be happy.

ABall

Forum Donor

Your questions where answered in the very next post on that thread. If you dont have balanced head phones there's no point converting the plugs to balanced if the DAC has a single ended option, 1/4" or 3.5. You can use adaptors if they are made correctly but as post No 42 said, there's nothing to gain, your halving the signal output power in the conversion.

Last edited:

atsob

Hi guys

I got a Gustard DAC X16 second hand and it is really great. I would like to share with you a recent issue i faced, in case someone of you faced it already.
I'm using it with Volumio (tried both on an old PC and on Raspberry Pi 4) and USB connection and play both TIDAL (MQA, etc.) and local FLAC, WAV & DSD files. All fine and no issues.
Trying to optimize it, i purchased also the GUSTARD HIFI Replacement Fuse Nano Alloy High End Fuse Compatible with U16 / C16 / X16 / A18 630mA...
Please no criticism on this ;-)

After I installed it following also the guide on the direction of the fuse, a couple of times when i was switching from TIDAL to local DSD files, i was listening only to noise... Changing DSD file the same. I had to play a FLAC which was played correctly and then DSD were also played correctly.

Raising this to Gustard support, they suggested me to update the USB firmware following the package and directions from the following link:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vu1j1lm676shas9/GUSTARD_X16_USBFW_programming.zip/file

Has anyone ever tried this or faced similar issues?

Thanks in advance

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Hi guys

I got a Gustard DAC X16 second hand and it is really great. I would like to share with you a recent issue i faced, in case someone of you faced it already.
I'm using it with Volumio (tried both on an old PC and on Raspberry Pi 4) and USB connection and play both TIDAL (MQA, etc.) and local FLAC, WAV & DSD files. All fine and no issues.
Trying to optimize it, i purchased also the GUSTARD HIFI Replacement Fuse Nano Alloy High End Fuse Compatible with U16 / C16 / X16 / A18 630mA...
Please no criticism on this ;-)

After I installed it following also the guide on the direction of the fuse, a couple of times when i was switching from TIDAL to local DSD files, i was listening only to noise... Changing DSD file the same. I had to play a FLAC which was played correctly and then DSD were also played correctly.

Raising this to Gustard support, they suggested me to update the USB firmware following the package and directions from the following link:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vu1j1lm676shas9/GUSTARD_X16_USBFW_programming.zip/file

Thanks in advance
What's funny is I bought the Gustard because it didn't do that. I had originally bought and returned an SMSL M300 and a Topping E30 as they both had handshake issues when I switched from Amazon Music to Roon DSD music.

I have an updated X16 firmware and I used to have noise when playing DSD and that may be your problem. If you search this thread for my username you will see most of the issues with DSD noise and firmware updates.

Now I have no noise issues and I have tried iMac or Mac Mini via USB and RP4 with Ropieee and Volumio via USB.

atsob

What's funny is I bought the Gustard because it didn't do that. I had originally bought and returned an SMSL M300 and a Topping E30 as they both had handshake issues when I switched from Amazon Music to Roon DSD music.

I have an updated X16 firmware and I used to have noise when playing DSD and that may be your problem. If you search this thread for my username you will see most of the issues with DSD noise and firmware updates.

Now I have no noise issues and I have tried iMac or Mac Mini via USB and RP4 with Ropieee and Volumio via USB.
Thank you Dennis for your response.

What was the fixing action in your case?
I have read about firmware upgrade but this is for the DAC and requires a programmer to my understanding, while what was suggested to me was a USB firmware upgrade, which does not require a programmer.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Thank you Dennis for your response.

What was the fixing action in your case?
I have read about firmware upgrade but this is for the DAC and requires a programmer to my understanding, while what was suggested to me was a USB firmware upgrade, which does not require a programmer.
I did both updates --- but the "programming" update didn't help. The USB upgrade was easy and it fixed it.

atsob

I did both updates --- but the "programming" update didn't help. The USB upgrade was easy and it fixed it.
Great, thank you! I did apply the USB firmware upgrade, was very simple to do so. I tried to replicate the issue unsuccessfully so far. Fingers crossed!

BTW, I'm not sure but i have the feeling that it also sounds different, better, like more depth and stage. Did you notice something like this as well?
Or any information on the fixes/changes applied in this USB firmware?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Great, thank you! I did apply the USB firmware upgrade, was very simple to do so. I tried to replicate the issue unsuccessfully so far. Fingers crossed!

BTW, I'm not sure but i have the feeling that it also sounds different, better, like more depth and stage. Did you notice something like this as well?
Or any information on the fixes/changes applied in this USB firmware?
No ... the sound was unchanged.

Check the display and verify you have DSD and not PCM or a lower quality

kopczas

Yeap.
It happened few times after firmware upgrade. I guess this glitch depends of xmos firmware so you have to live with it cause gustard`s firmware update won`t fix it.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Yeap.
It happened few times after firmware upgrade. I guess this glitch depends of xmos firmware so you have to live with it cause gustard`s firmware update won`t fix it.
I believe you are referring to the firmware update to the DAC OS….there’s another fix to the USB port that doesn’t require taking the unit apart That came out the beginning of the year

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I have owned the X16 since a few months after it came out. I have only been using Bluetooth for years after comparing it to USB. I sure couldn't hear any difference and Bluetooth is orders of magnitude more convenient than USB.

MrOtto

Where is the Gustard X16 firmware upgrade? I can't find it on gustard.cn . Any special instructions?

Top Bottom