• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Shouldn`t Gustard display show the same values as file on PC output?
MQA is different story but for MQA-CD ripped into Flacs, even if Windows sees it as 44/16 audio file, X16 decodes it fully, indicates MQA and sample rate on the display.
As far as I know it`s not that simple with streaming.
I only play Tidal on my pc through the SMSL to the Gustard. I've given up trying to work out what values should come through and decided just to enjoy the music :)

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I only play Tidal on my pc through the SMSL to the Gustard. I've given up trying to work out what values should come through and decided just to enjoy the music :)
I noticed that the Gustard only does a full unfold on USB input.

Rewind

Then use USB? What is the beenfit of the IIS-H input anyway? I thought it needs ultra short distance like on a motherboard. And even then it can be polluted by everything else going on in the PC.

Rewind

I am having the unit updated at Audiophonics.fr, and they can't hear any popping sound between tracks using Roon. Could the fault be with my settings in Foobar? I don't use Roon.
foobar screenshot.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
I am having the unit updated at Audiophonics.fr, and they can't hear any popping sound between tracks using Roon. Could the fault be with my settings in Foobar? I don't use Roon.
Tell them to use something in non-streaming mode? So not roon etc?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor

Settings for Foobar are in the back of the X16 manual.

Rewind

Settings for Foobar are in the back of the X16 manual.
It is for an older version, so it dowsn’t eeally add up. Audiophonics.fr tried with these settings in Foobar and no pop, so hopefully the firmware update solved it.

Rewind

Still popping like crazy between songs in Foobar2000 after service at Audiophonics.fr. Firmware version: 20210702-B5A6

Edit: But not in Roon! Roon is just smooth sailing. What am I doing wrong in Foobar2000?

Last edited:

Big White

Hello, are there no measurements of Toslink input in the measurements made? There is coax but no Toslink? Can we say that toslink has the same jitter performance as coax?

El_Arte

My X16 started exhibiting weirdness on its screen, whereby some “pixels” appear brighter than others, regardless of any brightness setting.

Anybody else saw that?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
My X16 started exhibiting weirdness on its screen, whereby some “pixels” appear brighter than others, regardless of any brightness setting.

Anybody else saw that?
Ouch...it is an OLED and hopefully older OLED technologies weren't used, but I keep mine on auto off for that reason.

G-rig

Could test out the warranty or just ask the manufacturer about it. Quality control probably isn't the same as the big brands.

kevin1969

Anybody else saw that?
My screen is pretty much fried. Guess I shouldn't have left it on. Oh well.

G-rig

Sounds pretty lousy.. the graphs and paper specs don't help for a lot of real world/long term use, just a bit of a quirk that comes with chi-fi.

I'd contact the seller.

themystical

The screen on mine has gone completely blank. Fuses etc are all fine and I can hear a relay click upon powering up. Any ideas any one. Is this a common occurrence?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
The screen on mine has gone completely blank. Fuses etc are all fine and I can hear a relay click upon powering up. Any ideas any one. Is this a common occurrence?
Try a factory reset — power off , hold middle button, power on ….

Last edited:
Top Bottom