• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

vco1

One of the reasons for me to buy a headphone amp - and I'm currently looking into the H16 - is that my integrated amp has a huge toroidal transformer which hums every now and then. A DC blocker removes the hum most of the time, but not always. And still, there's nothing wrong with a good headphone amp too.
So I got a bit concerned when I read that the H16 and X16 both have toroidal transformers. Do these hum? Or are they too small to generate any (audible) noise? Would it be better - given the situation - to look for another DAC/AMP combo?

Veri

Master Contributor
So I got a bit concerned when I read that the H16 and X16 both have toroidal transformers. Do these hum? Or are they too small to generate any (audible) noise? Would it be better - given the situation - to look for another DAC/AMP combo?
These smaller ones are generally unlike the big ones you're thinking of. The chance that they'll be humming loudly is quite small.

AXR

Thanks for the review @amirm.

I was interested in getting a Gustard x16 and pair it with the H16 for a headphone setup that I am building. However, based on this review I am not so sure. Now, I am considering pairing the x16 with the Topping A90 - Has anyone considered this pairing for a headphone setup? Do you anticipate any issues with this pairing?
Yes Im trying to do a similar pairing. For me Im thinking X16 with A30 pro. Hopefully someone here has done so with no issues or downside.

Last edited:

aandres_gm

Yes Im trying to do a similar pairing. For me Im thinking X16 with A30 pro. Hopefully someone here has done so with no issues or downside.
Why the X16 and not the D30 Pro, if you don't mind me asking? I know the Gustard is a good product, but it is also too large to be matched to the smaller A30 Pro

AXR

Why the X16 and not the D30 Pro, if you don't mind me asking? I know the Gustard is a good product, but it is also too large to be matched to the smaller A30 Pro
I just liked Amirs review. it looks like a slightly more capable DAC. Also would like to have MQA capability. Its footprint is just large enough so the A30 can sit on top of it. D30 was certainly on my mind. I like to mix and match.

Noodles

I don't know ... i have both on my desk and they sound exactly the same :)

archerious

Does it really come without a power cable? I find that difficult to believe.

Mine actually came with one, ordered from Amazon w/ Prime.

UltraPro

Hi! I have a question: Did you mean you drove the cans (HD650) via unbalanced jack as unbalanced or still balanced, which I guess wouldn't be possible? I'm using this amp unbalanced and I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something, since some say that this amp is not that powerful if not used as balanced. I think this amp sounds great anyway, but would there be an audible difference going balanced (I would need a new DAC)?

0mega0

I just received the H16 yesterday and have been listening to it. It sounds great. I am using it both for headphones and as a preamp. The only concerns that I have are that:

The top surface does get rather warm. I have measured it to be a bit over 100 F.

I need to turn it up quite a bit to get adequate volume, between 65 - 80 depending on what headphones I am using, or if I am using the preamp.

The source is a Musician Pegasus DAC connected via XLR. The output impedance on the XLR of the Pegasus is 1250 Ohm, and it outputs 4.4 Vrms.

I am using Fostex T60RP with a 4.4mm balanced cable (50 Ohm) & Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 Ohm) unbalanced cable for headphones.

While using it as a pre-amp I have it connected to a Sony STR-DH500 via RCA. The Sony's volume is set to 35.

Is the above with regards to heat and volume normal for this amplifier?

Thank You,

Noodles

I just received the H16 yesterday and have been listening to it. It sounds great. I am using it both for headphones and as a preamp. The only concerns that I have are that:

The top surface does get rather warm. I have measured it to be a bit over 100 F.

I need to turn it up quite a bit to get adequate volume, between 65 - 80 depending on what headphones I am using, or if I am using the preamp.

The source is a Musician Pegasus DAC connected via XLR. The output impedance on the XLR of the Pegasus is 1250 Ohm, and it outputs 4.4 Vrms.

I am using Fostex T60RP with a 4.4mm balanced cable (50 Ohm) & Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 Ohm) unbalanced cable for headphones.

While using it as a pre-amp I have it connected to a Sony STR-DH500 via RCA. The Sony's volume is set to 35.

Is the above with regards to heat and volume normal for this amplifier?

Thank You,
Yes this is completely fine. Also don't forget you have gain settings on long pressing the pot :)

Daiyama

Quick question:
Does anybody know if the rear xlr/rca out are muted when connecting a headphone?
Thx

Edit:
Why ask if one can try for themselves.
I anybody wanted to know, rear xlr/rac out are not muted when plugging in a headphone. Pity.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi All,
When using as preamp, does it output DC via RCA or xlr when power off using the power switch behind it?

X16 would cause big noise when power off, especially with RCA out to power amp. I am curious if this is the case with H16.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Noodles

I would assume it should not output anything but I have not tested it. I’ll put some rca cables to my active speakers to test it out later.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I would assume it should not output anything but I have not tested it. I’ll put some rca cables to my active speakers to test it out later.
Just as a precaution, remember to start your experiment by lowering the volume of your active speakers first, before adjusting to your normal listening volume to further test. Thanks!

MrOtto

Quick question:
Does anybody know if the rear xlr/rca out are muted when connecting a headphone?
Thx

Edit:
Why ask if one can try for themselves.
I anybody wanted to know, rear xlr/rac out are not muted when plugging in a headphone. Pity.

Hmmm, from: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...ca-balanced-headphone-amplifier-pre-amplifier

Q: Is there a switch to shut off preamp outputs when listening to headphones?
S SHENZHENAUDIO Apr 6, 2021
A: Hi you can switch to use HP amp mode or Pre-amp mode, when listening to headphones the preamp outputs will be shut off.

Top Bottom