• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

D

Deleted member 29558

Hi, Is there someone who use the H16 with IEM's - and can tell how does it perform, i am not sure to
buy this item due to the fact mentioned hissing in low gain mode.

RathOX

Hey guys, so i was looking for a replacement for Magni 3, Su-8 v2 (bought Su-8 for hifi tho, so it will go back to that)
Isaw joshuas video on this being slightly warm sounding.
Ovbs not as much as something like the jot 2 mind.
was wondering on a scale of 1 to 10,
1 being tube warm
5 neutral
10 being THX clinical
what people would rank it as?

around the same price range theres the Singxer SA-1 (has some silly things tho like gain switches on the bottom of the unit) but would need a balanced dac that would go nicely (sadly no stack!) and would go with the fun sound of the SA-1

im either looking at the Gustard Stack or something else for the $800 (Amp/Dac) thats in the warmer area and is balanced.

Veri

Master Contributor
around the same price range theres the Singxer SA-1 (has some silly things tho like gain switches on the bottom of the unit) but would need a balanced dac that would go nicely (sadly no stack!) and would go with the fun sound of the SA-1
IMO, get this gustard which plays nice with any DAC. If you get the SA-1 you'd best use it with a balanced DAC.
About the "warm" factor, tends to be total audio reviewer imagination going wild... would take it with a grain of salt.

RathOX

IMO, get this gustard which plays nice with any DAC. If you get the SA-1 you'd best use it with a balanced DAC.
About the "warm" factor, tends to be total audio reviewer imagination going wild... would take it with a grain of salt.

But im looking for warmer than neutral but not tubey warm like the JOT2 i hate the THX clinical bland boring sound. So im just trying.

I would use both balanced anyways. Imo im not too sure i have up to $800 (£578) as im from the UK.
i have a SU-8 v2 atm as a dac and i feel its also more cold :( so im not too sure what im going to be happy with.

it needs to be balanced as i also use monitors

Veri

Master Contributor
But im looking for warmer than neutral but not tubey warm like the JOT2 i hate the THX clinical bland boring sound. So im just trying.

I would use both balanced anyways. Imo im not too sure i have up to $800 (£578) as im from the UK.
i have a SU-8 v2 atm as a dac and i feel its also more cold :( so im not too sure what im going to be happy with.

it needs to be balanced as i also use monitors
Look, you want "warmer than neutral" but not "tubey" and your current DAC is "cold" ?? Reading and watching those YouTube reviews will make you never happy with what you have, if your current sound is not that much your thing you will need new speakers/headphones, the DAC will never, ever add that much colouring. No way.
In any case I think you're relying too much of other people's impression to chase something. This isn't really the kind of forum that will tell you what is "warmer than neutral", I think that is just typical audiophile lingo to try and describe what makes a product "different" :/

RathOX

Look, you want "warmer than neutral" but not "tubey" and your current DAC is "cold" ?? Reading and watching those YouTube reviews will make you never happy with what you have, if your current sound is not that much your thing you will need new speakers/headphones, the DAC will never, ever add that much colouring. No way.
In any case I think you're relying too much of other people's impression to chase something. This isn't really the kind of forum that will tell you what is "warmer than neutral", I think that is just typical audiophile lingo to try and describe what makes a product "different" :/
I have 8 pairs of headphones lol. Im only running a cheap magni 3 and a Su-8

Nitrium

I have 8 pairs of headphones lol. Im only running a cheap magni 3 and a Su-8

I agree with Veri here, man. FWIW, the Magni 3 is fine. Even then, the Gustard H16 is not what you are looking for. It's almost as transparent as (if not equal to) the THX 789. I had both and returned the H16.

RathOX

I agree with Veri here, man. FWIW, the Magni 3 is fine. Even then, the Gustard H16 is not what you are looking for. It's almost as transparent as (if not equal to) the THX 789. I had both and returned the H16.
Think at this point will just grab neutral, tbh and just change my pads on some of my headphones or maybe a small eq

Marlowe

I'm finally ready to buy this (and likely the X16 next month) but, like other people, found that Apos no longer carries Gustard. (It seems to be one of a number of brands that have disappeared from Apos recently.) It's not a real problem since Shenzhenaudio carries it at the same price with free shipping to the US. However, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any tariff or customs due on it now in the US after El Caudillo del Mar-a-Lago's little trade war? I bought a Little Dot from China, but before the trade war, and bought a Topping D90 MQA from Apos in the US not quite a year ago, but it actually shipped from China without any additional fees.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I'm finally ready to buy this (and likely the X16 next month) but, like other people, found that Apos no longer carries Gustard. (It seems to be one of a number of brands that have disappeared from Apos recently.) It's not a real problem since Shenzhenaudio carries it at the same price with free shipping to the US. However, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any tariff or customs due on it now in the US after El Caudillo del Mar-a-Lago's little trade war? I bought a Little Dot from China, but before the trade war, and bought a Topping D90 MQA from Apos in the US not quite a year ago, but it actually shipped from China without any additional fees.
Brought mine from Apos no duty or taxes I don't know if Shenzhen charge taxes or duty taxes,everything I brought from Apos has come from China.Oh and if you get this you'll love it, i have the stack and I play this exclusive also have the the A90 DX7 pro stack and a coupla other stacks

Marlowe

Brought mine from Apos no duty or taxes I don't know if Shenzhen charge taxes or duty taxes,everything I brought from Apos has come from China.Oh and if you get this you'll love it, i have the stack and I play this exclusive also have the the A90 DX7 pro stack and a coupla other stacks
Thanks, I ordered it and there does not appear to be any duties (or NJ state sales tax).

chrizZztian

Hey! I recently received my H16 and I am wondering if it's normal that the volume stays exactly the same when switching between a balanced and unbalanced cable. I expected balanced to be much louder since it has like 4 times the power on a 600Ohm headphone. Or is this some sort of fancy volume control circuit?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Hey! I recently received my H16 and I am wondering if it's normal that the volume stays exactly the same when switching between a balanced and unbalanced cable. I expected balanced to be much louder since it has like 4 times the power on a 600Ohm headphone. Or is this some sort of fancy volume control circuit?
Welcome Aboard @chrizZztian.

Kotrmelec

Just got mine. Very pleased with the results!
834A837B-8D5D-4A28-A045-1A944A0D8187.jpeg

Marlowe

Did they give you the sales price, I left you a message.
Thanks, I saw that, but after I ordered from Shenzhenaudio, not Apos.

BTW, while I may not have had to pay any customs or taxes, DHL is currently so enraging me that, like John Adams in the play/film 1776, I have such a desire to knock heads together. In my previous experiences with shipping from China with DHL, my gear appeared in New Jersey within a few days of ordering. Not this time.

First, it took Shenzhenaudio about five days to ship the H16 after I ordered. It then took DHL four or five days (and fifteen (!) separate events of tracking history) to move the package from several locations in Shenzhen to several more in Hong Kong, which I believe is pretty equivalent to moving a package from New York City to my apartment right across the Hudson in Jersey City. (This comparison is no coincidence, read on.) It then finally left Hong Kong, hopped a flight, appeared in NYC and, a few hours later, at a NYC sorting facility, where it has now sat for the last couple of days. DHL missed their estimated delivery date and tracking now says an estimated delivery date is unavailable. I was planning to order the X16 DAC from Shenzhenaudio in a few weeks but unless the H16 is delivered very soon, I am so annoyed that I may reconsider.

gvl

Major Contributor
How does one get one of Gustard products repaired? They don't seem to have a website. So if you buy one used or you're outside of the seller's grace period seems you're SOL if something goes wrong, even if willing to pay for shipping and repairs. I suppose it's fine for these cheaper products, but what about more expensive DACs they make? Is this why Apos stopped selling Gustard?

Top Bottom