• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good amplifiers for acoustics laboratory

pedro.carvalho

Hello folks, I've been researching this topic for quite a while and, before I invest in anything, I would like some opinions.

I am working on a small acoustics laboratory, to measure the resonant frequency of materials, few techniques of active noise canceling, and so on.

Given those circumstances, I need an amplifier with independent mono channels and low noise (in the sense that the mechanical part will not produce noise). Therefore, I thought that class D can be a nice way to go.

Keeping in mind the previous specifications (class D is not a hard one), do you have any suggestions for an amplifier that might fit the labs?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Budget?
Noise floor required?

Trouble Maker

I worked adjacent to our NVH team and with them at times, used (not setup or post analysis) the NVH test/data acq. equipment, so I have some exposure but not expertise.
There a many industry standard equipment and test methods, though the equipment and software are usually expensive. Curious about what you are trying to do that these systems can't?

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/global/en/products/simulation-test/acoustic-testing.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=impact+hammer+vibration+testing&tbm=vid

Edit: Or maybe you are using these for the test an analysis and the amp is just for noise cancellation application?

Last edited:
OP
P

pedro.carvalho

Budget?
Noise floor required?

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry, I thought about the price but I forgot to add it to the post. I am willing to spend up to $1000 on this amplifier.

Since I am normally dealing with quite loud signals, noise-floor is not something I am worried about. Anything over 100dB SNR will please me.

OP
P

pedro.carvalho

I worked adjacent to our NVH team and with them at times, used (not setup or post analysis) the NVH test/data acq. equipment, so I have some exposure but not expertise.
There a many industry standard equipment and test methods, though the equipment and software are usually expensive. Curious about what you are trying to do that these systems can't?

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/global/en/products/simulation-test/acoustic-testing.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=impact+hammer+vibration+testing&tbm=vid

Edit: Or maybe you are using these for the test an analysis and the amp is just for noise cancellation application?

We are already conducting measurements with an SVANTEK 979, it fits our low-budget startup-like company. We are normally writing our own software to retrieve the results from the tests.

The amplifier will be just to drive the speakers with the sound source - both for as noise source for testing, or part of the setup for noise canceling. :)

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
The amplifier will be just to drive the speakers with the sound source - both for as noise source for testing, or part of the setup for noise canceling
Brand and model of the speakers?
Specifications?

Speedskater

Major Contributor
I would look into pro audio amplifiers. They have a more robust construction, they are designed to be moved from place to place and be used with different loudspeaker loads.

Top Bottom