• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Goldensound and his golden ears...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I actually think he is a cool guy and I know he posts here from time to time. Buuuuut the amount of differences he claims to be able to hear from dac to dac is bullshit.

So he listens to dacs generating 99,9995% equal signal and yet he perceives differences in soundstage, bass, "tembah", instrument separation and so on. Those speakers of his must have some 0,0001% thd to be able to catch such details and sound so different from dac to dac.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually think he is a cool guy and I know he posts here from time to time. Buuuuut the amount of differences he claims to be able to hear from dac to dac is bullshit.

So he listens to dacs generating 99,9995% equal signal and yet he perceives differences in soundstage, bass, "tembah", instrument separation and so on. Those speakers of his must have some 0,0001% thd to be able to catch such details and sound so different from dac to dac.

He obviously can tell the difference between a 118dB THD+N May and a 122 dB THD+N D90SE sighted obviously :facepalm:

OP
H

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Btw, we had a nice discussion on Telegram and I just want to reinforce that if we still disagree, he is a cool fellow

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For a guy who believes in such things, I can't fathom why on earth he went and bought an audio analyzer. I think the dreamed that he could find measurements to match his subjective evaluations. He jumped a step which was to confirm what he thought he was hearing was real using controlled blind tests.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Buuuuut the amount of differences he claims to be able to hear from dac to dac is bullshit.
Agree... ol' Goldfinger. :cool:

21cXaW8.png

;)

A shame that DAC ABX didn't proceed, but it became prone to disaster and conflict.

JSmith

litemotiv

There seems to be an interesting category of reviewers who both advocate for objective measurements, as well as believe that good measuring equipment can still sound very differently to each other. You mostly see this in the headphones scene, and Goldensound seems to extrapolate this somewhat to hifi equipment too.

I can't say whether their observations are BS or not, but i do think that this category of reviewers would be prime candidates for blind testing. I would really like to see Goldensound make that a part of his testing process, he would be the first and he seems reasonable enough to consider it. I would definitely watch that.

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
I can't say whether their observations are BS or not, but i do think that this category of reviewers would be prime candidates for blind testing. I would really like to see Goldensound make that a part of this testing process, he would be the first and he seems reasonable enough to consider it.
Goldensound once announced he would do a blind test, but it didn't happen yet I think. Referring to a statement he did in one of his review videos, not the ugly discussion on this forum.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I think @goldenears dose competent technical analysis and awesome and very complete Measurements.
He is always publishing the complete automated measurement results pdf. from its AP software.
(Some other reviewers with AP don't... i wonder why?)
So there is no chance of hand picking results out letting tests of the review.
Always includes Impulse response (with different filter sittings) and always channel separation.

More data more better.

The "how it sounds" part is BS but i'm sure he knows its just an must have to extend his audience.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Goldensound once announced he would do a blind test, but it didn't happen yet I think. Referring to a statement he did in one of his review videos, not the ugly discussion on this forum.

He did buy an ABX board so he probably will experiment with that. At least he's got a sense of humor.
Once he has trained himself he will find out he can't tell the perceived differences blind.
let's wait and see. He seems to be serious about audio measurements.
No idea why he keeps posting linearity plots without the essential filter though and finds his subjective findings valid.

litemotiv

The "how it sounds" part is BS but i'm sure he knows its just an must have to extend his audience.
I don't believe so, in the video where he announces that he got the APx555, he explains how he feels about objective vs subjective. It appears he sincerely feels that the 'truth is in the middle' and that 'good measurements don't necessarily equal good sound'. So it doesn't seem to be a shtick only to appease the subjective crowd. Relevant part of the video below:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't believe so, in the video where he announces that he got the APx555, he explains how he feels about objective vs subjective. It appears he sincerely feels that the 'truth is in the middle' and that 'good measurements don't necessarily equal good sound'. So it doesn't seem to be a shtick only to appease the subjective crowd. Relevant part of the video below:

It's called playing both ends against the middle. He gets views for the measurements and views for the more subjective. Win win.

litemotiv

It's called playing both ends against the middle. He gets views for the measurements and views for the more subjective. Win win.
So you are saying he is deliberately misleading his viewers about his views on objective vs subjective? That is quite an accusation obviously.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So you are saying he is deliberately misleading his viewers about his views on objective vs subjective? That is quite an accusation obviously.
Did not say or imply that at all. Quite a leap in comprehension.

I'm saying as owner of a review site he gets to have his cake and eat it. He publishes his comprehensive measurements and doesn't even try to square them with his subjective opinions.

So he can get views /hits from people wanting purely measurements and those wanting the comparative subjective fluff.

Whether that alienates some I guess is for him to decide.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Why does this comes off as a surprise to you?

Literally all American presidents that ever campaigned in the last 20 years had an ambiguous stance on Gun control not to deter any voters. YouTubers aren’t so different.

Geert

Major Contributor
He did buy an ABX board so he probably will experiment with that. At least he's got a sense of humor.
That's just 2 weeks ago, didn't notice is. So things might become interesting. Nice to see he puts some effort into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom