• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GGNTKT M3 yes M3 Formerly known as M2!

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Will it be possible to bring a reference track or play one from a streamer?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Congrats @roland{at}GGNTKT ! Very impressive, at least on paper. What is the cost and can you provide measurements?

MKR

Major Contributor

changer

Saturday morning at the Norddeutsche HiFi-Tage, it is. Looking forward to finally listening to M1 and M3.

See you there!

Last edited:

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Will it be possible to bring a reference track or play one from a streamer?
Hopefully we can stream via Tidal (depending on network at the hotel), but we have a backup on HDD with 60 GB of FLAC encoded tracks. In my experience, bringing your own music to a trade fair during a demonstration doesn't work well because it always stops the listening session. I therefore hope that we can find something suitable with the available music catalog.

@roland{at}GGNTKT Any plans to have some M3s in US anytime soon available for audition? And what is the cost per pair?
As for today, we have noch plans to do so. The problem is that US-distributors and dealers need high margins. I talked to many of them in the last five years and in the beginning they all were excited to represent our loudspeakers. But as soon as the numbers and margins come into play the all stepped back. So the dilemma is, that either way they had to live with the margins or need to set new prices for customers, which would be significantly higher than in Germany (or EU). However, I'm not happy with this situation, but that's the way it is.

Nevertheless there a some US customers that ordered directly from factory – if they are on this board, they might offer a private demo :)

changer

I had the chance to listen to both the M3 as well as to the M1 speaker by GGNTKT today in my home town in Hamburg. Roland Schäfer @roland{at}GGNTKT was presenting the speakers of his company, GGNTKT, at the Norddeutsche HiFi-Tage. Situated in a Steigenberger hotel some 24 km up north from my neighborhood, I decided to go there by car and grabbed the camera to leave some visuals cue for the internet:

5FD00E61-FBC3-4728-90B1-78C33B5728B4.jpeg

Both speakers were presented in a proper automotive paint finish that is optional, which helped the 1.2 meter tall M3 to appear more easy to the eye. The wide-angle lens is somewhat exaggerating, so here is another mobile pic with Schäfer:

28FE309A-59B1-4D1E-907D-A87B1594761F.jpeg

I stayed for about one and a half hours to first listen to the M3 and afterwards to the M1. Here is a short write up of my listening impressions.

M3: We listened to a number of demo tracks that I did not recognize or remember, ranging from audiophile female solo singers to drum tracks and classical. The source was a MiniDSP studio that served as a transport for Tidal streams into the speaker's DSP enabled amplifier section. According to an uncalibrated app on my phone, we listened at around 70 dB average (z rated), which surprised me, because subjectively it did not sound as 'loud'. Eventually, I asked the company owner/presenter to play a to me well known track, Jack of Speed by Steely Dan, that, among others, I had used excessively to tune my ongoing, probably never to be completed attempt at getting high end performance on a dime (alas, today I had to learn that my attempts, if successfully transformed into a proper, finished speaker, will belong in a lower class than the GGNTKT; which was to be expected anyway).

I liked to use the mentioned track because it features powerful, yet variable low bass lines as well as distinguished and contrasty percussions, together with voice and more arrangement. This is handy when tuning/doing room correction, because when a speaker is room-corrected in the modal region, oftentimes the general presentation shifts and a new balance with higher frequency elements must be reestablished.

Not so with the M3: As with the previous tracks, what stood out was that no matter how much the cardioid subwoofer section was strained by the program material, they were always in control. The presentation of the song that contains some pronounced bass sounded absolutely effortless and clean, and the bass did not take away a bit of the resolution and clarity that the other drivers provided us with (I think I heard the mid woofer takes over at 200 Hz). I have not heard a speaker as crystal clear, clean, defined and powerful as the GGNTKT, but must admit that I have not heard its direct competitors to date. However, Roland Schäfer was seemingly not convinced we were getting the optimum and he quickly changed the preset from the touch screen at back of the M3 to full cardioid. Maybe the initial preset was something similar as the low cardioid mode of the M1, I don't know. This made for a drastic difference, but the tonal balance was still very good. The sound of the speaker became exceptionally open, for a lack of a better word, when the Sound Power in the low mids / high bass was reduced. I could not make out the 2 dB bass shelf of the room corrected M3 that was in place. In short, I must say this speaker sounded outstanding.

M1: First, I did not like it because it sounded much smaller and less refined, but I learned this was related to the preset. The M1 was set to low cardioid and was not room corrected. Later, Roland Schäfer changed the preset to sub cardioid and this changed the whole presentation. I once again requested to listen to the Steely Dan song for comparison and even without room modes taken care off, besides some small resonances that I could make out, it sounded so much better. In fact, in combination with a subwoofer, the properly setup M1 should suffice the needs of most listeners, certainly mine, it was very clean, open, and very detailed. It was an exceptional experience, again.

With the M1, I also had the chance to take a seat in the stereo center and I could measure its soundstage width in my mind: the small speaker provides a very wide and extended soundstage that engulfs the listener, that does not extend considerable beyond the speakers. This is my general experience with stereo, some satellites might be a nice addition. Both speakers were toed in by 30 degrees or so, because of the small room, which should not be necessary in a modestly sized living room and could further increase the size if the presentation. I would also love to listen to the speakers when they are set up with a wider stereo base! Curiously, it still delivers very nice imaging. Maybe a narrower pattern speaker has the edge here, but it was very much an acceptable trade-off for me, and I would rather like to be engulfed and presented with a huge stage than a composed yet smallish image. As both speakers feature a similar horizontal pattern, I guess the same goes for the M3.

I heard a subwoofer module for the M1 is in the making. For those that can afford it, I can strongly recommend both speakers. Thanks.

Last edited:

MKR

Major Contributor
I had the chance to listen to both the M3 as well as to the M1 speaker by GGNTKT today in my home town in Hamburg. Roland Schäfer @roland{at}GGNTKT was presenting the speakers of his company, GGNTKT, at the Norddeutsche HiFi-Tage. Situated in a Steigenberger hotel some 24 km up north from my neighborhood, I decided to go there by car and grabbed the camera to leave some visuals cue for the internet:

View attachment 347140

Both speakers were presented in a proper automotive paint finish that is optional, which helped the 1.2 meter tall M3 to appear more easy to the eye. The wide-angle lens is somewhat exaggerating, so here is another mobile pic with Schäfer:

View attachment 347141

I stayed for about one and a half hours to first listen to the M3 and afterwards to the M1. Here is a short write up of my listening impressions.

M3: We listened to a number of demo tracks that I did not recognize or remember, ranging from audiophile female solo singers to drum tracks and classical. The source was a MiniDSP studio that served as a transport for Tidal streams into the speaker's DSP enabled amplifier section. According to an uncalibrated app on my phone, we listened at around 70 dB average (z rated), which surprised me, because subjectively it did not sound as 'loud'. Eventually, I asked the company owner/presenter to play a to me well known track, Jack of Speed by Steely Dan, that, among others, I had used excessively to tune my ongoing, probably never to be completed attempt at getting high end performance on a dime (alas, today I had to learn that my attempts, if successfully transformed into a proper, finished speaker, will belong in a lower class than the GGNTKT; which was to be expected anyway).

I liked to use the mentioned track because it features powerful, yet variable low bass lines as well as distinguished and contrasty percussions, together with voice and more arrangement. This is handy when tuning/doing room correction, because when a speaker is room-corrected in the modal region, oftentimes the general presentation shifts and a new balance with higher frequency elements must be reestablished.

Not so with the M3: As with the previous tracks, what stood out was that no matter how much the cardioid subwoofer section was strained by the program material, they were always in control. The presentation of the song that contains some pronounced bass sounded absolutely effortless and clean, and the bass did not take away a bit of the resolution and clarity that the other drivers provided us with (I think I heard the mid woofer takes over at 200 Hz). I have not heard a speaker as crystal clear, clean, defined and powerful as the GGNTKT, but must admit that I have not heard its direct competitors to date. However, Roland Schäfer was seemingly not convinced we were getting the optimum and he quickly changed the preset from the touch screen at back of the M3 to full cardioid. Maybe the initial preset was something similar as the low cardioid mode of the M1, I don't know. This made for a drastic difference, but the tonal balance was still very good. The sound of the speaker became exceptionally open, for a lack of a better word, when the Sound Power in the low mids / high bass was reduced. I could not make out the 2 dB bass shelf of the room corrected M3 that was in place. In short, I must say this speaker sounded outstanding.

M1: First, I did not like it, but I learned this was related to the preset. The M1 was set to low cardioid and was not room corrected. Later, Roland Schäfer changed the preset to sub cardioid and this changed the whole presentation. I once again requested to listen to the Steely Dan song for comparison and even without room modes taken care off, besides some small resonances that I could make out, it sounded so much better. In fact, in combination with a subwoofer, the properly setup M1 should suffice the needs of most listeners, it was very clean, open, detailed. It was exceptional, again. With the M1, I also had the chance to take a seat in the stereo center and I could measure its soundstage width in my mind: the small speaker provides a very wide and extended soundstage that engulfs the listener, but it does not extend much beyond the speakers. Both speakers were toed in by 30 degrees or so, because of the small room, which should not be necessary in a modestly sized living room. I would also love to listen to the speakers when they are set up with a wider stereo base. Curiously, it still delivers very nice imaging. Maybe a narrower pattern speaker has the edge here, but it was very much an acceptable trade-off for me, and I would rather like to be engulfed and presented with a huge stage than a composed yet smallish image. As both speakers feature a similar horizontal pattern, I guess the same goes for the M3. I heard a subwoofer module for the M1 is in the making. For those that can afford it, I can strongly recommend both speakers. Thanks.
Thank you for sharing your impressions of the M3! I am not at all surprised and fully expected you would have a very positive experience given the specs and measurements. Especially nice to read someone else that has heard “low” cardioid (down to 40Hz). Once you experience low cardioid, there is no going back. It is the most realistic portrayal of low frequencies I have heard from any loudspeaker solution. It is quite rare as most purveyors of cardioid solutions believe no benefit to cardioid below 100Hz, which is fully incorrect. As far as I know, only MEG (which I have not heard), Soundfield (which I have heard extensively), and now GGNTKT are the only loudspeaker manufacturers with low cardioid capability. Good stuff.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks @changer I must try and hear a pair for myself.
Keith

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
@changer Very nice write-up, thanks al lot! Glad you visited us and liked it. I'm always pleased with critical listeners that really dig into details. That kind of feedback so much more of value than the common superficial and generic talk on such demos. So thanks again!

Morla

Forum Donor
so it's officially released now?

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
so it's officially released now?

Yes, there should be some international press by now:

Top Bottom