• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

get window output studio sound

s002wjh

so i have topping d50s usb to my PC win10. i notice its default to PCM 48khz, is there anyway to get window output or simple at higher rate? i know my pc board can output 196khz 24bit.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You can change that setting in the sound control panel. But don't do that. Most of your content is 44.1 kHz so change 48 to that.

Longer term, you want to use a player that bypasses windows audio stack and outputs your music at its native rate. Such players use WASAPI or ASIO interfaces with your sound card.

sajunky

Foobar2000 - and read tutorials how to set it up over WASAPI/ASIO.
It will switch sample rate/depth automatically to your source. No sample rate conversion, unless you really want it.

OP
S

s002wjh

You can change that setting in the sound control panel. But don't do that. Most of your content is 44.1 kHz so change 48 to that.

Longer term, you want to use a player that bypasses windows audio stack and outputs your music at its native rate. Such players use WASAPI or ASIO interfaces with your sound card.
i did change the rate in window control. but i'm curious does oversampling to 384 produce finer result? or i probably should just stick to 48khz. also i'm output directly via USB to Topping 50s. so you saying i should stick to 48khz for best native sound?

sajunky

i did change the rate in window control. but i'm curious does oversampling to 384 produce finer result? or i probably should just stick to 48khz. also i'm output directly via USB to Topping 50s. so you saying i should stick to 48khz for best native sound?
It does SRC poorly, so if you must, use Foobar instead with internal DSP processor or addons and bypass Windows mixer completely as usual we do.

As for benefits of upsampling, it depends. In most typical situation upsampling do not bring any benefits, just in reverse. Your DAC is always more sensitive to jitter at a higher sample rates, remember that.

OP
S

s002wjh

It does SRC poorly, so if you must, use Foobar instead with internal DSP processor or addons and bypass Windows mixer completely as usual we do.

As for benefits of upsampling, it depends. In most typical situation upsampling do not bring any benefits, just in reverse. Your DAC is always more sensitive to jitter at a higher sample rates, remember that.
sry what is SRC? i typically use window media or zoom player to play mp3/flac/wav etc, i heard Foobar is mainly for huge audio library? does ASIO or DSD in foobar offer better clarity or something?

also i'm assuming in the window speaker setting, it should be 32 bit 48khz? like so below?

if USB is sending as 44.1khz via foobar or window player, does the topping dac basically upsampling/sampling to something else ? i guess i'm not quite sure how the relation between window output sampling rate vs external dac sampling works

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

sajunky

This relation is quite complicated.

SRC = Sample Rate Conversion

Mixer requires the same sample rate from all sources and various clock sources must be perfectly synchronised, otherwise result will be garbage. It is why you have selection for a common (mixing) sample rate and bit depth. All sources are converted to the same sample rate before mixing. If you chose a rate that is not supported by your DAC, output of mixing will be subject to yet another sample rate conversion before sending it to the DAC. Here Windows is clever, as it shows only sample rates supported by your DAC, but not always, so you must know what you are doing.

The settings in your screenshot is valid only when your player send your sound to the system mixer which is a part of Direct Sound (DS) driver stack. If your Zoom Player can use WASAPI system interface instead of DS, it can bypass mixer competely, so the above settings will be relevant only to the sound sources coming through the mixer from a system or other applications.

Read a player manual how configure WASAPI in exclusive mode, so Windows sounds or other garbage will not get through your HiFi connected to your DAC.

if USB is sending as 44.1khz via foobar or window player, does the topping dac basically upsampling/sampling to something else ? i guess i'm not quite sure how the relation between window output sampling rate vs external dac sampling works
It is a Foobar or other player that sets the parameters for USB transfer, but only when using WASPI driver. When DS driver is selected, the settings on your sreenshot is used. Topping or other DAC accepts data stream it receives. When using WASAPI driver in exclusive mode, then any file you play is sent to the DAC in a native mode of the source without conversion. A DAC typically is able to recognise format (whether PCM or DSD) and adjusts to the sample rate and bit depth.

Last edited:
OP
S

s002wjh

anyone know a media/video player that has WASAPI or ASIO mode?

Aap op Sokken

anyone know a media/video player that has WASAPI or ASIO mode?
I like MPC-BE, a simple but effective desktop player. It can be configured for WASAPI shared or exclusive, but default is DirectSound.

I also used Kodi for a while, it remember it having WASAPI.

Top Bottom