• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Labs NEW J2 Dac

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
that's why they took the 9026 chip:

We tested out a variety of brands and choices including the higher end 9038. The 9038 is expensive, runs really hot, isn't very stable, and quite frankly we were not impressed with it. There is no point using something we didn't like, just to have a newer chip. Price-We don't feel the price is high. Actually, we were thrilled we could introduce a new product under $300.00. The ESS DAC chip price is much higher than AKM. Everything is harder to get and more expensive. There is a massive shortage of electronic components and the prices we pay have gone way up. Aluminum is at an all time high, shipping prices have skyrocketed and just about every component including the circuit board cost more than last year.
Interesting to see what smsl managed to do to the 9038 pro... https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/strange-smsl-m500-high-3rd-harmonic.22710/

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have the JNOG (AKM chip) and sent it to Armin for review. Would be interesting for someone else to send the J2 to Armin when it is finally released to do a comparison :)

You should have sent it to Amirm instead of Armin. ;)

OP
S

sterkoff

Received my new J2 today. Ordered with USB module in charcoal with smoked black front and rear panels to sorta match my Massdrop stack. I will spare you any subjective review on sound quality as I cannot personally distinguish one well implemented dac from another. The one thing I can comment on is the tri-color led which I believe is new to this model. You can choose between the following:

solid led in red, green, blue, cyan, or purple.

pulsing led in red, green or blue.

multi-color led changing between all colors.

off.

Attachments

• jnog2.jpg
    jnog2.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 1,591

Morpheus85

when did you order? I ordered on Saturday afternoon and nothing has happened yet.

OP
S

sterkoff

I literally ordered within the first minutes of the launch on Thursday at 6pm ET.

Last edited:

daphantom99

Love the green man! I kinda choked and just went with the safe charcoal/smoked black because I couldn't decide on a color, lol.
Thanks! The "money" green is nice color. I haven't swapped out to the clear green glass... will eventually.

daphantom99

Paired with ZMF Veritas Close. Every song I listen to now is an experience. LOL

Attachments

• Geshilli with ZMF Headphone.jpg
    Geshilli with ZMF Headphone.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 330

Morpheus85

Is there nobody here who has ordered a Geshelli?
Mine will be sent to Germany tomorrow and should arrive at the end of the week.

D

Deleted member 31747

I just received the J2 DAC (S/N: 26) and paired with my new Archel2.5 Pro, I can say this is an incredible set up with my HD 600 Sennheiser. Currently running RCA from J2 DAC out to Archel2.5 Pro, but have on order Mogami/Neutrik XLR’s arriving Saturday.8088CA06-C07E-4015-87ED-17C5CDC208BA.jpeg0DE81D59-A1EE-45DD-81BE-F6B2F24B4790.jpeg7A1C237B-AC76-4C7E-BD22-375E91B0B220.jpeg

D

Deleted member 31747

Is there nobody here who has ordered a Geshelli?
Mine will be sent to Germany tomorrow and should arrive at the end of the week.
J2 seems very musical to my ears. Coupled with my new Archel2.5 Pro, I have a musical black background with PRAT via my HD 600 Sennheiser’s. Incredible, actually.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
J2 seems very musical to my ears. Coupled with my new Archel2.5 Pro, I have a musical black background with PRAT via my HD 600 Sennheiser’s. Incredible, actually.
Welcome Aboard @SBrob.

adamjohari

Just found out about this. Will this be an upgrade over my Topping D10s? I just got the THX 789 that will arrive shortly. Thinking about getting this as I can connect the XLR to the THX 789.

D

Deleted member 31747

Just found out about this. Will this be an upgrade over my Topping D10s? I just got the THX 789 that will arrive shortly. Thinking about getting this as I can connect the XLR to the THX 789.
I have not heard Topping. However, what I can say is the Geshelli J2 and Archel2.5 Pro have it going on musically. Also, the cabinet options, I chose Charcoal and the Blackened Plexiglass. The lighted LED’s show through the front panel, nothing like it on the market. Reminds me of my old MHdt Havana DAC with smoked plexiglass front.
Getting back to topic, my new Geshelli dac, head amp seems to have very nice musicality, PRAT, and a black background that is making me happy. Listening through Sennheiser HD600’s. Awaiting XLR Mogami .5m cables to connect the J2 and Archel2.5 Pro. Made in USA.

Jammin72

Wanted to hop on and let folks know that I got my J2. Great piece of kit! Sherri did a great job on the case (Black/Blue Mist is all that...) and the sound by Geno is very nice! I love that we're supporting people that love this like we all do. I had been testing a Schiit Asgard 3 with the 4490 that I picked up a couple of weeks ago and I already have an Arcam rHead as well as the Grace M9XX. Alas the Schiit after blowing me away for a few days with the overall quality and performance for such an entry level price developed a scratching sound that I've yet to isolate. I was hoping to do a broader comparison. For now I'm letting things settle in and really enjoying the J2. Being able to switch from the Amanero USB with Foobar for bit perfect music and then switch over to Optical out from my motherboard for gaming and general computing in combination with an ASIO implementation of voicemeeter has been fantastic. I can't compare the Sabre to Geshelli's AK implementation but I can say that my overall impression is that this is less flat and more open than the other two AK offerings at my disposal. Of course we all know that could be recency bias but I'll keep on it.

rottentreats

I just ordered mine :D I have the original JNOG with my stereo and this JNOG2 will be replacing my ENOG2 with my headphone setup. I likely won't hear much of a difference, BUT I like supporting great people and great products.

I had to mull it over for a few weeks since it's not really needed but then I remembered you only live twice.

Top Bottom