• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

General question about floors and speakers

Barry_Sound

A basic question, because I've heard contradictory things here.

What is generally the physically preferred floor to place speakers on? Is it rock-hard concrete that does not vibrate at all, or is it soft wooden floorboards that "swing" with the speakers and absorb any cabinet movement?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

What is generally the physically preferred floor to place speakers on? Is it rock-hard concrete that does not vibrate at all, or is it soft wooden floorboards that "swing" with the speakers and absorb any cabinet movement?
And after that, couple or isolate? I’ve heard contradictory things here as well, although I don’t spend a lot of time worrying about it.

OP
B

Barry_Sound

And after that, couple or isolate? I’ve heard contradictory things here as well, although I don’t spend a lot of time worrying about it.
Lets say brand new speakers out of the box, you dont have any spikes or feet. What floor is better?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So here’s my guess, before someone who has researched it chimes in: A loose coupling with a wooden floor could produce a rattle/resonance, so a carpet or pad might be worth investing in. A wooden floor could also resonate with certain frequencies, in which case isolation again would help, but only with any coupled resonance as opposed to sympathetic.

The rest - movement of the speaker/floor interfering with driver movement, etc., is probably not very important with anything but a super light speaker. Reducing floor bounce may be important, so rugs are good. As always, measurements will reveal a lot and point you in the direction of EQ or room treatment to get the frequency response to something satisfying.

As I said, I haven’t worried about this - I have rugs and take REW measurements and apply EQ. But we’ll see how the better-educated here react.

D

Deleted member 21114

Concrete. Changing any aspect of a well designed speaker randomly is almost certain to not improve it. I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't think any designers use wobbly floorboards to support their speakers during anechoic testing / a Klippel run. Will the change be audible? Maybe if the space under the floorboards resonates, rattles etc. The choice of position and shape of room will be far more important.

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Concrete does vibrate. It transmits a lot of vibrations pretty effectively. Boundaries that flex also act as diaphragmatic absorbers.

For my system decoupling the speakers from the wooden floor was essential because of the rattling of the floor and walls

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've only had concrete slab floors, with speakers on spikes, except when I was a child listening to Dad's stuff.

A concrete slab on grade is inert in my experience of four locations.

A suspended concrete floor might vibrate. No expreience with that.

Audio Buddy has wood floors with air space underneath. He's never mentioned a problem, and I don't notice any either.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Almost certainly won’t be any difference, if we are discussing a competently designed loudspeaker.
Keith

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
12 different rooms every possible construction configuration except maybe a tent.

IME concrete is better. But add carpets. Lots of them.

Justdafactsmaam

Almost certainly won’t be any difference, if we are discussing a competently designed loudspeaker.
Keith
There will certainly be a difference between a suspended wood floor and a concrete slab. Has nothing to do with the competence of the speaker design. You energize a room with bass the rigidity of all the room boundaries has a substantial impact.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best must be to put the speakers in a field full of mud, like they do in rave parties.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Some speakers are designed to couple with the floor to extend bass output - like my lx521. I lose about 10Hz bass extension if I place on an isolation platform rather than direct floor placement.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Concrete does vibrate. It transmits a lot of vibrations pretty effectively. Boundaries that flex also act as diaphragmatic absorbers.

For my system decoupling the speakers from the wooden floor was essential because of the rattling of the floor and walls
So there has to be enough vibration transmitted to create an audible resonance…in a concrete floor?
Secondly even you effectively decouple the structural borne transmission there is still the airborne transmission.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Some speakers are designed to couple with the floor to extend bass output - like my lx521. I lose about 10Hz bass extension if I place on an isolation platform rather than direct floor placement.
Explain the mechanism?
Keith

izeek

i have carpeted suspended wood floor. it used to resonate from bass. you could hear it in other rooms easily. it was on the muddy side.
i live in an apartment building and you could hear it thud down to the first floor at 60dbish. felt for my neighbors.
after several experiments, the final solution is my towers naked-footed on a paver with a horsestall mat between it and floor. my subs are on substands on a paver.
i have taken measurements but im dumb when it comes to interpretation.
i will say that this really did a great job decoupling the speakers from the floor.
now, id have to be up to 75db+ to hear it outside my door.
im very thrilled with the results.
i got the idea from a guy with granite plinths. i didn't feel like spending granite money. and they're heavy as.....
different materials, densities, and thicknesses make a difference.
for instance, i started with hardwood boards under the speakers. better, but after a couple of weeks, i realized the wood was adding a tone in. mdf was better but a titch dull.
stock feet sucked. svs feet worked well but i knew i could achieve more.
some cork and sorbothane pads i tried smeared the mids and bottom highs. rubber was dull, etc.
i intend to try a sandtray i saw that supposedly does similar. saw another guy with his entire kit in sandtrays. his stand was essentially a custom sandtray for each component.
and recently, someone mentioned mdf and laminated security glass.
so, i think decoupling is a good idea for folks with suspended wood floor.
just ymwv.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Does that work with any kind of floor covering and structure?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont think i can do the explanation justice. It was explained/described by S Linkwitz on his website - you can look it up. Ground plane reinforcement
Does that work with any kind of floor covering and structure?

Ground plane reinforcement is the reflection of bass off the floor (like putting a subwoofer in a corner). While different materials may have slightly different characteristics, the geometry (flat floor) is what is essential.

The question about “coupling” is different because some people say that listening on the second floor of their home where the floor is plywood is different than listening on the ground or basement where it’s poured concrete.

D

Deleted member 21114

I dont think i can do the explanation justice. It was explained/described by S Linkwitz on his website - you can look it up. Ground plane reinforcement
That is dependent on proximity to the floor not actual contact, no?

Top Bottom