• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec W371A + 8361A

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That correct. I use 8361A + W371A and it's wonderful.

Again, about adding a subwoofer with this combo and as I wrote in the 8361 thread:

I was commenting about a nice picture of a setup presented on Genelec website. Of course, Genelec would like to sell more stuff, but they say themselves that you can't calibrate the W371A and a subwoofer using GLM.

Adding a non-calibrated subwoofer or any speaker would completely remove the benefits of the W371A ($$$) since GLM cannot analyse the subwoofer along the W371. The room null or bass resonance from the sub will pollute the room calibration with the W371A. And I can't believe the sub will add that much low frequencies. My W371 goes down around 20 dB @ -2 dB. Probably could add some SPL, but the W371A have more than enough (for my need I should say).
That’s what I thought. Has anyone tried? Sorry i’m lazy I should just wire it and try.

Anyway I do like the idea of “surround” bass and have 2 7360 around here. So my intent is to integrate those with Trinnov Nova.

Not for more bass but rather to have it come from more sides. Probably only under 60Hz so to not mess with the wonderful directivity of the w371 down to that frequency.

onion

Do you feel adding the Bacch system made a significant difference? Thoughts on how things sound with and without Bacch in the loop?
Much less than compared to the Ones+multisub system. I prefer without for certain music. My friend who has 'golden ears' loved Bacch with the Ones+multisub but prefers without Bacch for Ones+W371a

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Much less than compared to the Ones+multisub system. I prefer without for certain music. My friend who has 'golden ears' loved Bacch with the Ones+multisub but prefers without Bacch for Ones+W371a
Thank you. That’s a relief! Haha

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I reverse-cringe everytime I read comments wondering this. It's a short google away to realize how extremely popular single house living is around the world. Older 200-300k multi-storey house like mine is completely normal purchase with a mortgage even for a single person (atleast with an IT job), you'll pay the same as you would spend on rent somewhere anyway.

I'm sure the dreaded WAF is much more of a stopper..
Unless your other half is a DJ…

Esprit

Forum Donor
Older 200-300k multi-storey house like mine is completely normal purchase with a mortgage even for a single person (atleast with an IT job), you'll pay the same as you would spend on rent somewhere anyway.
Unfortunately I suck at English not to mention Finnish which I don't even know the word "hello" about.
Here, with €200,000, you can buy a 40m2 house.
trim_26DCA948-57A5-44BE-8EDD-58C460420BDA_MOV_AdobeExpress.gif

Last edited:

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you in USA? PM me if we are in the same region you can experience them too.

A question for people that use W371a does it make the image larger into a full size speaker? This was my main issue with 8361a alone and I heard exactly what Amir did when he brought it up in the Youtube review of them.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question for people that use W371a does it make the image larger into a full size speaker? This was my main issue with 8361a alone and I heard exactly what Amir did when he brought it up in the Youtube review of them.
So personally the first time I heard Genelec Ones was a pair of 8351 about 15+ feet apart.

There was a reason they didn’t play any bass heavy songs and focused on vocals as they didn’t have any sub hooked up.

Imho as far as throwing an image is concerned any of them can be very surprising in what they can throw.

The vocals filled the space incredibly.

Having the W371 certainly can’t hurt I suppose. It makes everything feel more real.

I have had some major gains after playing with the placement and angles. I’ve switched to horizontal placement

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Without it , they sound small ?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Without it , they sound small ?
I think it depends on what you play on them. I never felt even the 8341 felt “small”

However adding subs made them feel different. It really depends on what you’re used to I guess. Where you placed them relative to a wall. How close you sit to them and all those factors.

Top Bottom