• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec S360 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 113 35.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 59.7%

• Total voters

Soundspace

The wobbly speaker support pictures for the listening tests is most surprising for a self designated audio science review pilot.

Dhomo

Since I sit around 4m away from the speakers those would be nice in my living room. Whats not so nice is the price. Are there any alternatives that with good spl and directivity that are more budget friendly? While of course having qualities of a well design studio monitor?

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Since I sit around 4m away from the speakers those would be nice in my living room. Whats not so nice is the price. Are there any alternatives that with good spl and directivity that are more budget friendly? While of course having qualities of a well design studio monitor?
As a single unit I'm not sure if there's anything comparable but cheaper, but Neumann KH150 + KH750 should be even better for ~$5k. KH150 alone at 96dB works as good which is remarkable especially for the size and have very similar directivity. You could even try them without a sub first, it's a bargain at less than single S360

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
As a single unit I'm not sure if there's anything comparable but cheaper, but Neumann KH150 + KH750 should be even better for ~$5k. KH150 alone at 96dB works as good which is remarkable especially for the size and have very similar directivity. You could even try them without a sub first, it's a bargain at less than single S360
How is the 8350 in comparison ?

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
How is the 8350 in comparison ?
rather more expensive at $5k for a pair with no sub (vs $3.5k for KH150), a 2+1 Genelec (8350 + 7360) set is $7.5k which makes it almost the same as a pair of S360. Better comparison by woofer size would be with 8340, which is a bit less expensive than the KH150, unless you go with a sub

Last edited:

Skytree

You really need to listen to the S360's to compare, the presentation can move close to live music . They really have the ability to flood the room. If your focus is on inner detail the aluminium models may suit better.

Dhomo

Well I just got a pair of 8240 SAM for 800$ used and will pair them with 2 Subs. But still even the KH150 does not really throw the music in the room like a s360 its just a totally different concept. KH150 is more like a 8340. Maybe those JBL with compression drivers are similar? But JBL tries really hard to make a technically inferior speaker to Neumann and Genelec so it is a nono for me.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Well I just got a pair of 8240 SAM for 800$ used and will pair them with 2 Subs. But still even the KH150 does not really throw the music in the room like a s360 its just a totally different concept. KH150 is more like a 8340. Maybe those JBL with compression drivers are similar? But JBL tries really hard to make a technically inferior speaker to Neumann and Genelec so it is a nono for me.
Sure, discontinued models are always much cheaper, that's a good deal.
Drivers in S360 and KH150 are way different, but frequency response, dispersion characteristic, headroom, THD are all very similar, what about the S360 in the measurements make it that different from KH150? I wonder how they compare in a blind test, listening while looking at a big speaker with 10" woofer and compression driver compared to a wimpy 6.5" midbass is not really fair

Last edited:

testp

JBL stuff: Studio 590, 4329P, S3900 used..

These have the dynamic range and even dispersion

Dhomo

Sure, discontinued models are always much cheaper, that's a good deal.
Drivers in S360 and KH150 are way different, but frequency response, dispersion characteristic, headroom, THD are all very similar, what about the S360 in the measurements make it that different from KH150? I wonder how they compare in a blind test, listening while looking at a big speaker with 10" woofer and compression driver compared to a wimpy 6.5" midbass is not really fair
SPL and distortion at higher output? Less early reflections?
JBL stuff: Studio 590, 4329P, S3900 used..

These have the dynamic range and even dispersion

Yes all the JBL offerings are inferiour to Neumann and Genelec even in the same price range when you compare the data on this site. Since I am in Europe it is not even fair when I take price into account. Seems like if you are looking at a "perfect" 2way speaker buying anything else seems a bit weird. At least if your purely looking at the measurements.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SPL and distortion at higher output? Less early reflections?

Yes all the JBL offerings are inferiour to Neumann and Genelec even in the same price range when you compare the data on this site. Since I am in Europe it is not even fair when I take price into account. Seems like if you are looking at a "perfect" 2way speaker buying anything else seems a bit weird. At least if your purely looking at the measurements.
In the budget sector Neumann & Genelec can't compete though, because they're not "budget" - JBL with their 305p & particularly 308p Mkii:
Neumann & Genelec can't compete with that in terms of price/performance, but Neumann & Genelec do measure better, but for more money! I got two JBL 308p Mkii for just £150 per speaker back in March 2020.

testp

someone mentioned long listening distance, Genelec is known to underpower their budget actives, but 360 was good on spl.

...JBL inferior, i can't agree with that.

but i was just saying high dynamic range is something to consider as positive, it might not be obvious from the data but jbl / bigger floorstanders do seem to have that. Erin & Amir does mention that with floorstanders sometimes.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Measurements doesn't follow this assumption
S360 has better directivity control and significantly better output (5-10dB) below 500-1kHz and, above 1kHz, slightly wider radiation and a little better output compared to KH150. They are similarly smooth in terms of horizontal directivity, and the KH150 has better vertical directivity.

So I don't know what measurements you're looking at.

KH750 is an excellent product for all of its functions, but not a very good subwoofer.

Both would be fine in most rooms, although there's no competing with the S360 in a large room.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
S360 has better directivity control and significantly better output (5-10dB) below 500-1kHz and, above 1kHz, slightly wider radiation and a little better output compared to KH150. They are similarly smooth in terms of horizontal directivity, and the KH150 has better vertical directivity.

So I don't know what measurements you're looking at.

KH750 is an excellent product for all of its functions, but not a very good subwoofer.

Both would be fine in most rooms, although there's no competing with the S360 in a large room.
What do you mean by "better output"? All measurements with realistic volumes (they were measured at 96dB so that's what I'm referring to) are rather similar, from THD to on axis response, on a few occasions KH150 are even better (I would argue that on axis response is more important than THD values below the perception threshold) while costing less than half of S360 - which is my point, similar (not necessarily better) performance where it counts but much less expensive.

Last edited:

Curvature

Major Contributor
What do you mean by "better output"? All measurements with realistic volumes (they were measured at 96dB so that's what I'm referring to) are rather similar, from THD to on axis response, on a few occasions KH150 are even better (I would argue that on axis response is more important than THD values below the perception threshold) while costing less than half of S360 - which is my point, similar (not necessarily better) performance but much less expensive.
Below 100-200Hz you have to hit at least 100dB to have enough volume for perceptual curves. And even with room gain, a large space and listening distance of 3m or more mean you need a capable speaker and subwoofers. You can of course rely on the perceptually synthesized "missing fundamental", but that's never as good as sufficient output.

Here's the comparison of max output defined as dB SPL at 3% THD. I was wrong about the KH150's output above ~2kHz, but that's what comes from not having the data on the same graph.
1694359711608.png

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
right, so above 1,5kHz KH150 tweeter is even better than s360s compression driver, what a bargain

Top Bottom