• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Home Theater on Digital

formdissolve

Forum Donor
@cata02 If you're using the optical port on your TV, are you using apps on your TV to play audio? Or a connected blu-ray player/source? Note again the limitations for 5.1 over optical - you won't get 5.1 PCM from that, only lossy old dolby digital 5.1 (unless you are sending bitstream).

OP
C

cata02

No, unfortunately not. Several people in various forums tried, I know of no case which showed a successful chain.

The minidsp route could work on paper. The biggest problem is that there is no HDMI in. How would one get the standard devices into that chain? If all files are lying around a JBOD, it might be feasible. The only HDMI add-in input devices for a Pi are working like capture cards for a standard PC. Never seen anyone getting such a thing to work with 23.97 fps and other similar beautiful things.
So,

OrangePI 5 has eARC on HDMI; full software support is still pending.
There are RPI hats that offer optical in (hifiberry has some), so one way could be: TV as source+decoder to LPCM on optical out -> optical in on RPI -> minidsp on RPI USB -> Genelecs. I think PulseAudio on RPI should be able to handle mixing FLE, or center to fronts.

When OrangePI gets full eARC support, i think it will become a viable solution (as long as using the minidsp works), as i see you can decode usual sorround formats on linux w/o a problem.

Could that work?

OP
C

cata02

@cata02 If you're using the optical port on your TV, are you using apps on your TV to play audio? Or a connected blu-ray player/source? Note again the limitations for 5.1 over optical - you won't get 5.1 PCM from that, only lossy old dolby digital 5.1
I use apps on TV, nothing fancy tbh; yt music/spotify.

the TV runs Android TV which makes it a really nice and capable source. if it would support USB Class 2 audio, i'd just plug in the minidsp and be over with i guess :D (or smth like that).

chelgrian

Thanks, looks like I have a few misconceptions. I read somewhere that the Pi4 has 6 (?) lanes for i2c, each around 5MBit, which is around the 28 MBit for BluRay 8 channel audio. How come this is not working as planned?
It's only got one signal on GPIO2 see,

worse than that the Pi3 had a design flaw where you couldn't clock the i2c faster than 100KHz, they fixed that in the Pi4.

I know the Pi5 is being designed currently (as I know the person doing the board layout) however it's very secretive as to what the specs will be.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Reactions: MCH
OP
C

cata02

Most formats canbe decoded with pulseaudio/alsa in linux; seeing some mild success with dts:ma/x as well.
dolby atmos/imax enhanced ... who knows.

in my case the tv can do the decoding, need to check if it can pass multichannel lpcm through hdmi.

chelgrian

Most formats canbe decoded with pulseaudio/alsa in linux; seeing some mild success with dts:ma/x as well.
dolby atmos/imax enhanced ... who knows.

in my case the tv can do the decoding, need to check if it can pass multichannel lpcm through hdmi.
There is no open-source Atmos decoding yet. There is a tool called cavern that can do the mix from objects to speakers however it cannot do this in real time, it's an offline rendering process.

It can do EAC3 but there is no way to get the objects out of AC4 or TrueHD yet.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't do digital outs as there's no audible difference so it's not worth spending a lot of time/effort on it.

The best way I know of to get digital outs for proper Atmos is to buy a JBL SDP-55/SDP-58 and use the Dante output with AES adapters. This doesn't come cheap(like $6K, iirc), but at least you get a full high-end AVP in the bargain. Still a waste of money, IMO.

But if all you need is 5.1 this is completely trivial to do, just use some kind of PC as a playback device and a multichannel USB -> AES audio interface like the Motu 8D or whatever you can find cheaper than that. Nvidia Shield TV Pro also supports USB DACs so that might work also.

Older Dolby formats without height channels are all software decodeable. And every content source falls back to these if you don't have Atmos support.

dusk

I have a stereo pair of 8361a + w371a and wanted to build out a 7.1.4 setup. So add another 8361a + w371a , then get 4 8331a for ceiling and 4 8431a for sides and rears and 2 7380a.

I want Genelec GLM to DSP manage all of this.

Looks like I have two options.

The 9301B for multi channel and bass management + Arvus H2-4D to decode everything, but I'd still need some sort of HDMI switch

OR

Storm ISP Evo. Run GLM first, then Dirac + bass management to get all the speakers working together. the 3 8361a + w371a will be run in full range, and bass management / LFE will be done with the 2 7380a other subs augmenting the ceiling and surrounds. this is more expensive (crazy so), but seems like it would solve everything in one box, ya?

I'm a bit confused by all this stuff, so any help would be great, thanks!

Last edited:

Littletycoon

I have a stereo pair of 8361a + w371a and wanted to build out a 7.1.4 setup. So add another 8361a + w371a , then get 4 8331a for ceiling and 4 8431a for sides and rears and 2 7380a.

The 9301B for multi channel and bass management + Arvus H2-4D to decode everything, but I'd still need some sort of HDMI switch

OR

Storm ISP Evo. Run GLM first, then Dirac + bass management to get all the speakers working together. the 3 8361a + w371a will be run in full range, and bass management / LFE will be done with the 2 7380a other subs augmenting the ceiling and surrounds. this is more expensive (crazy so), but seems like it would solve everything in one box, ya?

If you want to connect analog to the genelecs, yes, Arvus dan do (indeed hdmi switch option Arvus, plus also how you want to control the Arvus (web based, mainly volume control to think about, i don't know the glm options on volume control)).

If you want to go digital (aes/ebu) to the genelecs both can do, for the isp evo count on additional $$$, i have not seen a 2nd hand isp evo "in the wild" (because only now introducing). Don't know if storm evo supports hmdi cec.

Apart from above how important is room eq for you (glm apparently more basic compared to dirac).

So option storm vs. Arvus: +$$$ + better room eq + more user friendly (how much depends on e.g. hdmi cec support, but has Roon integration). Is that worth + USD 10-12K to you?

Last edited:

chelgrian

OR

You can buy an Arvus processor an 9301b AES interface and a Lumagen HDMI switch / video processor for less than cost of the Storm...

HairyEars

I haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if I suggest a solution that has already been floated.

I've got a Genelec 5.1, AES based. I use a computer that sends the HDMI signal to the TV set. A miniDSP U-dio8 is connected to the computer USB port. It processes the sound and breaks it into 5 distinct channels + LEF.

You could connect the DM25 cables from the MiniDSP to your speakers and be done with it.

Or you could use Genelec 9301A to manage the bass and LEF. I did the latter.

HairyEars

OR

AES sounds a bit better than analog from my experience. (No, I don't want to argue about it).

More importantly, if you have the room, get a 7382 instead of 7380 x 2. It's the same budget, but the former is much more powerful and a better match to the spl output of your planned mains.

2 subs won't improve imaging, since the bass management of an immersive system calls for subs to be set up mono.

HairyEars

OR

BTW, if you intend to use the system mainly for movies, you can skip the W371 for the center and mount the 8361 above the TV. The center monitor is primarily for dialogs and its bass output is marginal. For that matter, you could use a 8351 as center as well.

Your surround speakers can benefit from a little bump in spl compared to the LCR. Think 8351 surround 8341 on the ceiling.

dusk

BTW, if you intend to use the system mainly for movies, you can skip the W371 for the center and mount the 8361 above the TV. The center monitor is primarily for dialogs and its bass output is marginal. For that matter, you could use a 8351 as center as well.

I'll be using it for music and movies and video games.

I also think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the ISP evo, it's one box and not that much more than the 3 boxes and all the cables and setup I'll need.

speaking of breakouts, how exactly would I connect the Storm to the genelecs? I'll need AES in from my computer, and HDMI in from my game consoles and media player, but it looks like the Storm does AES over RJ45

something like this?

but it doesn't seem to have the amount of channels I'll need, unless each AES cable can carry 2 channels and I can daisy chain them together?

HairyEars

I also think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the ISP evo, it's one box and not that much more than the 3 boxes and all the cables and setup I'll need.

speaking of breakouts, how exactly would I connect the Storm to the genelecs? I'll need AES in from my computer, and HDMI in from my game consoles and media player, but it looks like the Storm does AES over RJ45

something like this?

but it doesn't seem to have the amount of channels I'll need, unless each AES cable can carry 2 channels and I can daisy chain them together?
There's no AES over RJ45. That's Dante.

The interface is either distinc xlr cables to each Genelec speaker or a pair of speakers in a daisychain fashion--or a d25 splitter. Do you have an image of the back of the AES product? I can find only the analog one.

Know that if it's music that is on your mind, the ATMOS specification calls for 11 identical speakers, as they all play the same SPL and potentially in tandem. Furthermore, 2 x 7380 is not sufficient for such a high output system. You need more subs.

However, if you play your music is medium levels, you should be fine.

jhenderson0107

something like this?

I use a Trinnov Altitude 16 which provides four digital outputs to drive the of Genelec L, C, R and XLR analog outs to drive the other Genelec bed level channels in my home theater. I perceive no audible benefit to digitally sourcing the L,C,R channels, since the room acoustics dwarf the miniscule improvement in signal quality of AES over analog. I use three of the the LyxPro XLR breakouts to deliver digital and analog signals from the Altitude to the Genelecs and JTR subs. When cabling these, it is imperative to use grounded CAT6 cables to avoid ground loops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom