• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best home-theater/hifi setup below $2500?

yourinception

Hi there, I'm building my first home-theater/hifi setup in my living room (20m2) in my house. My budget is somewhat limited to around 2000-2500$ (+-). I will spend 80% of the time watching movies (Netflix) and about 20% of the time listening to music. I'm not an audiophile (yet lol), but quality of the sound is vital for me. I use KEF LSX II in my small office with a sub and I love the sound quality. I also love KEF's K3 Meta, for example.

Important:
  1. I prefer active speakers because it is just simplier, but I am open to suggestions
  2. I currently live in a house, but I may move into an apartment in the future
  3. I am currently thinking to have 2.1 system
  4. I love speakers that create an amazing soundstage, but are also very clear
Options I looked at:
  1. Kef LS50 Wireless II + a sub
  2. Klipsch the nines -
  3. Should I look into full-size speakers?
  4. Other options?
What do you suggest? With some many options, I am really confused. I appreciate your feedback!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does your budget include a smart TV or is that part of another budget, that is, budget is for audio only?

jcarys

Well, you say you love the sound of two different KEF models, so that makes your brand recommendation pretty straight forward. You always want to buy the biggest speaker you can afford, as long as it has all the features you need, and you are not in a small space. I would try to spend your money on full way tower speakers if possible. You can always add a sub later, and electronics change often enough that you will eventually update your AVR.

Unfortunately I don't see how you can do that in the KEF lineup as long as you keep them wireless. Personally, I would consider something like the Q550s and get a traditional amp. Or go with the LS50 wireless and know that you will eventually want to upgrade later. You could always use them as surrounds in the future.

OP
Y

yourinception

Well, you say you love the sound of two different KEF models, so that makes your brand recommendation pretty straight forward. You always want to buy the biggest speaker you can afford, as long as it has all the features you need, and you are not in a small space. I would try to spend your money on full way tower speakers if possible. You can always add a sub later, and electronics change often enough that you will eventually update your AVR.

Unfortunately I don't see how you can do that in the KEF lineup as long as you keep them wireless. Personally, I would consider something like the Q550s and get a traditional amp. Or go with the LS50 wireless and know that you will eventually want to upgrade later. You could always use them as surrounds in the future.
I understand, thanks. Why do you think I'll want to upgrade later? Or what specifically did you have in mind? Move from 2.1 to 5.1 or just better speakers?

Also, instead of KEF, are there any other alternatives in my budget that you'd recommend?

OP
Y

yourinception

I would go with R3 meta over LS50 wireless 2.

3-way (6.5” woofer and 5”mid), vs 2-way with a 5.25” woofer.

Get the WiiM Amp.

Start saving up for a subwoofer.
That was my initial idea. I went to the HIFI store where they offered my the speakers + stands (for about 800$) + moon amplifier 250i + DAC , but that was about twice my budget. They have told me I need a very good amp for the speakers to run properly, but I am no expert (obviously), so I asked another HIFI center and they offer me the Hegel 120 which is also around $2500. So how does the $300 amp compares to those guys?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
it’s basically a MiniDSP + Streamer + Amp.

Hard to beat in terms of value. The only limitation is limited output.

Spending $2500 on the recommended Hegel means you have $0 for speakers. Great sales pitch. :facepalm:

Spending 80% of your budget on the speakers and 20% on amp/dsp/streamer makes a whole lot more sense to me.

napfkuchen

I would go with R3 meta over LS50 wireless 2.

3-way (6.5” woofer and 5”mid), vs 2-way with a 5.25” woofer.

Get the WiiM Amp.

Start saving up for a subwoofer.
According to Erin's review of the R3 they are just as good as the R3 metas with eq. Used price for a pair of R3s is about 900-1000 Euro. So there is still money left for a decent subwoofer (e.g. SVS SB-1000 pro or SB-2000 pro).

RDoc

Wiim pro plus optical out for 120ii, RCA for SVS Amazon $220; pair of Neumann 120 ii from musicstore.com $1480; SVS 1000 Amazon $600. I'd also strongly recommend getting a calibrated mic ~$100, and REW software (free) to tune everything

jcarys

I understand, thanks. Why do you think I'll want to upgrade later? Or what specifically did you have in mind? Move from 2.1 to 5.1 or just better speakers?

Also, instead of KEF, are there any other alternatives in my budget that you'd recommend?
My comment about upgrading was from the KEF bookshelf speakers. A lot of people start with bookshelves, but eventually move on to more capable tower speakers (at least for the front channels). I don't know your listening preferences, you may be perfectly happy with a bookshelf and sub system. A lot of it depends on how big your space is, how loud you play music and movies, and your ears. Also, I'm guessing that you will eventually want to fill out to a complete 5.1 or 7.1 surround system.

I agree with the comments above about a budget - spend 80% on your speakers, and keep electronics low at 20%. All hifi stores love to sell super expensive amps - that's how they stay in business. Modern (often Chinese) electronics have gotten so good that the old model is entirely broken. You should take advantage of these great cheap products like the Wiim models.

Top Bottom