• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Home Theater on Digital

Littletycoon

I'll be using it for music and movies and video games.

I also think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the ISP evo, it's one box and not that much more than the 3 boxes and all the cables and setup I'll need.

speaking of breakouts, how exactly would I connect the Storm to the genelecs? I'll need AES in from my computer, and HDMI in from my game consoles and media player, but it looks like the Storm does AES over RJ45

something like this?

but it doesn't seem to have the amount of channels I'll need, unless each AES cable can carry 2 channels and I can daisy chain them together?
That is not aes, that is the aoip version. You need the aes version, has different back side

chelgrian

That is not aes, that is the aoip version. You need the aes version, has different back side
The ISO Evo does use an optional card with two RJ45 connectors on it for AES3. See page 44 of the manual.

I bet they will sell you a very expensive cable with an RJ45 on one end and four XLR3 on the other end.

For the price of these units they could at least have made the RJ45 Ethercon but they didn't....

chelgrian

The ISO Evo does use an optional card with two RJ45 connectors on it for AES3. See page 44 of the manual.

I bet they will sell you a very expensive cable with an RJ45 on one end and four XLR3 on the other end.

For the price of these units they could at least have made the RJ45 Ethercon but they didn't....
Oh and for the questioner each AES3 connection does do 2 channels. So you get four per RJ45 giving you 8 in total and thus 16 channels.

dusk

thanks for this, very helpful

I am wondering what I would need in terms of a breakout box for this, are there any on market I can look at?

chelgrian

thanks for this, very helpful

I am wondering what I would need in terms of a breakout box for this, are there any on market I can look at?
You would have to get someone to make you a cable, this is not a standard item.

Doing it like this makes it cheaper to build for Storm and is not a problem to the custom install market where a lot of their products, particularly this model, would be sold in to.

dusk

thanks for that

I'm also looking into a Merging Anubis + Hapi route to have better control of the routing, as well as Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242 to manage video processing. This seems like a pretty killer combo for my needs (music production, hifi/immersive sound listening, atmos movies, and surround sound games.)

chelgrian

Which provider?
So it looks like Tidal and Amazon, however actually it looks like neither of them use object based AC4 they appear to only use AC4-IMS for prepared binaural to mobile devices.

Given the client side royalties on AC4 are essentially zero if you have any other Dolby technologies I expect that means Dolby are being greedy on the creation side with the result the technology is being ignored despite technical superiority over EAC3+JOC.

HifiMaster1983

Hello, I am new registered, I am following this subject carefully because I would also like to create an entirely GENELEC home theater, in view of the numerous exchanges switching to analog could it claim quality sound despite everything, (sorry for my bad english) I would really like to get the best cinema sound at home with GENELEC, if there has a real solution in numerique format i'm interessted

OP
C

cata02

Seeing this topic is still active i'll post my update as well.

I've decided to go the dyi route using single-board computers: RPi/Orangepi.
I ordered an orangepi and the plan is to get the sound from the TV through HDMI eARC (simple multichannels formats, dolby digital/uncompressed). I can then output the sound using a single multi-channel USB transport. Mapping of channels can be configured in linux with alsa/pulse utils or even camila dsp.

I haven't found any other way to get multi-channel digital sound into the rpi; the optical/coax in HATs only support PCM and cannot decode compressed multichannel signals.

Output can be done w/o multi-channel USB transport by using multiple USB DACs/HATs (which i will likely test), with the drawback that it's more complex to setup and has the potential of sync issues across multiple sound output devices (though i am not sure how noticeable this could in a home theater setup).

This whole setup is good for regular multichannel, not for object-based formats, sincedecoding and mapping object based formats is not readily available in linux as of yet; or i have no clue; either way irrelevant for me since i don't have the budget for so many speakers.

Will post again once i have the full setup working; need to get some additional speakers also :D

talex

@cata02 Funny in how similar positions we are :)
I also love my Genelecs - running 2 x 8330 + 7350 sub fed from the optical out of my LG oled in a relatively small room (3.5m x 4.5m).
I would love to be able to keep the Genelec simplicity but be able to at least decode 5.1.
Given the complexity (for me) of the solutions described in here, i'm looking to see if an analogue setup can get close to this sound.

For what it's worth, I've been auditioning the Kef R3 Metas, which also use concentric drivers and seem to share some of the sound qualities of the Genelecs - relatively neutral, good imaging, consistent horizontal and vertical dispersion. Looks to me like the passive stepbrother of The Ones :)

I'm still looking at the right AVR pairing, but if i get close to the Genelecs and I'm also able to decode surround sound, I'll call myself happy, while also cutting down significantly on the number of cables (my Genelecs are a rat's nest due to needing power, ethernet and signal). Crossing fingers.

But I'm with you... not a day comes when I don't wish there was a relatively affordable way to handle the decoding in the digital domain and just get some 8351s as LCRs and be done with it.

Crossing fingers for your DYI solution! Do share how it's going, as I'm also interested.

It's also interested if in the end you are able to extract the "full" audio quality from the source.
From what I'm seeing, movies on Apple TV nowadays come with two tracks - a 5.1 track and an Atmos track.
The Atmos track is to my knowledge in the TrueHD container and is higher quality. I'm not sure what is the bitrate on the 5.1 one and if there is an audible loss from not being able to get your audio from the TrueHD container. I'm also not sure which audio track the source will give you, if you don't state you have "Atmos" capability. Maybe somebody knows how this works in more detail?

chelgrian

I also love my Genelecs - running 2 x 8330 + 7350 sub fed from the optical out of my LG oled in a relatively small room (3.5m x 4.5m).
I would love to be able to keep the Genelec simplicity but be able to at least decode 5.1.
Given the complexity (for me) of the solutions described in here, i'm looking to see if an analogue setup can get close to this sound.

For what it's worth, I've been auditioning the Kef R3 Metas, which also use concentric drivers and seem to share some of the sound qualities of the Genelecs - relatively neutral, good imaging, consistent horizontal and vertical dispersion. Looks to me like the passive stepbrother of The Ones :)

I'm still looking at the right AVR pairing, but if i get close to the Genelecs and I'm also able to decode surround sound, I'll call myself happy, while also cutting down significantly on the number of cables (my Genelecs are a rat's nest due to needing power, ethernet and signal). Crossing fingers.

But I'm with you... not a day comes when I don't wish there was a relatively affordable way to handle the decoding in the digital domain and just get some 8351s as LCRs and be done with it.

Crossing fingers for your DYI solution! Do share how it's going, as I'm also interested.

It's also interested if in the end you are able to extract the "full" audio quality from the source.
From what I'm seeing, movies on Apple TV nowadays come with two tracks - a 5.1 track and an Atmos track.
The Atmos track is to my knowledge in the TrueHD container and is higher quality. I'm not sure what is the bitrate on the 5.1 one and if there is an audible loss from not being able to get your audio from the TrueHD container. I'm also not sure which audio track the source will give you, if you don't state you have "Atmos" capability. Maybe somebody knows how this works in more detail?
The only place TrueHD is used for Atmos is on Bluray/UHD Bluray. All streaming uses EAC+JOC

talex

The only place TrueHD is used for Atmos is on Bluray/UHD Bluray. All streaming uses EAC+JOC
Many thanks for the info!
And would it be possible to access a high quality 5.1 stream without advertising atmos capability? I am asking with respect to earlier statements that mentioned 5.1 decoding would be easier than atmos.
What i dont understand is actually what kind of containers something like an apple tv movie exposes and what we can practically get out of them for a 5.1 setup. Most of them list two separate audio tracks: a 5.1 one and an atmos one. How does the 5.1 one compare to what could be extracted from the atmos track? (I hope my question makes sense)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks for the info!
And would it be possible to access a high quality 5.1 stream without advertising atmos capability?
Yes, every streaming Atmos stream is just DD+. You can just decode it as such without Atmos.

OP
C

cata02

Next week i get the orangepi and i can test the hdmi earc and camila dsp setup; not likely i can output 4 channels though due to lack of neccesary outputs.

Do you DSP the KEFs to your room?
For me the GLM kit has been the most impactful feature of the Genelec system.
There are things I don't like ab the Genelec sytem, but I would not change with anything that doesn't do good EQ.

I would love some bigger speakers, but tbh they just become too expensive for my use case.
With the knowledge I have now, I am pretty sure i would not have taken the Genelec path.

I also don't care ab truehd bc i don't think i would notice any difference compared to compressed formats, will test once i have the chance. I can't notice any difference between 256kb and flac,yet alone in a home theater situation where imo other things are way more impactul to the overall experience.

Nattage

Nattage

Nattage

Screenshot 2023-10-26 100300.jpg

Top Bottom