• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Home Series (G speakers and F subwoofers)

Trell

Major Contributor
Yes I’ve looked and read. It appears that it does but the package includes does not say included, yet I don’t see it as an accessory.

It’s not listed for me 8330A either but still got the feet.

You could ask Genelec and they are quite responsive.

Sam Ash

I had listened to Sonos 1 in my living room where I currently have my Genelec 8340 as LCR and 2 8330 as surround. Genelecs will anyday win over Sonos be it 8040 or G4 or 8340 or 6040R paired with subs. Genelecs have bigger drivers and will sound detailed across the entire frequency.
Thank you @Sprint - I really appreciate your response and input. I hear the Genelec One series are phenomenal speakers and in all honesty I do like the fact they are active point source speakers. The fact that are detailed across the entire frequency range is great as I am sensitive to sound resolution and prefer speakers that are a bit more on the analytical side as opposed to warm and a bit laid back. By that, I don't mean treble heavy, I just like detail resolving ability that does not fatigue the ears.

Before you bought the Generic Ones (8340 / 8330), did you compare them with other reputable speakers?

What sub or subs are you using in your setup?

Have you heard the G Series in conjunction with the F series Subs?

Manmachine83

This is an interesting thread about the Gs vs 8xxx series. I’m wondering which would be more suitable for an analog system (turntable/phono stage)? The 83xx line for instance seems perfect except that the speakers do their own a/d and d/a conversions.. wouldn’t this go against the analog nature of a vinyl system, and likewise a system including a high end DAC (triple d/a conversions)?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
wouldn’t this go against the analog nature of a vinyl system, and likewise a system including a high end DAC (triple d/a conversions)?

Only if you're a purist. It most likely (understatement) won't have an audible effect:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an interesting thread about the Gs vs 8xxx series. I’m wondering which would be more suitable for an analog system (turntable/phono stage)? The 83xx line for instance seems perfect except that the speakers do their own a/d and d/a conversions.. wouldn’t this go against the analog nature of a vinyl system, and likewise a system including a high end DAC (triple d/a conversions)?
The 83XX has analog and digital in.

Manmachine83

Only if you're a purist. It most likely (understatement) won't have an audible effect:
Thanks for this link. I will listen when I get a few minutes to do so. I will say that the test reference is 16/44 so I’m not sure how applicable is to my “splitting hairs” analog question. Cool comparison either way though.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The equivalent bit depth of vinyl is what, ~12 in the best possible scenario? And you can only dream of getting anything but noise above 20KHz(?), especially after you've played the (brand new) record a few times... Anywho, there's quite a few threads here on ASR for that discussion.

(Not to start kicking the poor audibility-of-things-above-20KHz -horse again)

The things that make vinyl enjoyable are the "defects", not any supremacy, IMO. Defects that 16/44 should be able to capture more than adequately.

Manmachine83

The equivalent bit depth of vinyl is what, ~12 in the best possible scenario? And you can only dream of getting anything but noise above 20KHz(?), especially after you've played the (brand new) record a few times... Anywho, there's quite a few threads here on ASR for that discussion.

(Not to start kicking the poor audibility-of-things-above-20KHz -horse again)

The things that make vinyl enjoyable are the "defects", not any supremacy, IMO. Defects that 16/44 should be able to capture more than adequately.
This is probably true. Once the stylus has picked the information out of the groove and the phono stage has done the amplification then whatever information is present would be well within the Genelec A/D/A conversion capabilities to do convey it losslessly or without taking away from the “special sound” of vinyl.
Does that sound like correct thinking?

radix

Major Contributor
This is probably true. Once the stylus has picked the information out of the groove and the phono stage has done the amplification then whatever information is present would be well within the Genelec A/D/A conversion capabilities to do convey it losslessly or without taking away from the “special sound” of vinyl.
Does that sound like correct thinking?
My albums sound to my ears just like albums even though I run it through a TASCAM DA-3000 (96k/24) and minidsp SHD DSP (via toslink) before going back D/A to the amp. My album recordings on the tascam sound just like playing it straight through.

I have crystal clear pops and scratches and I can hear to the music too :). [that was a partly in jest]. Anyway, I do like some albums better in the analog than their cd equivalent, but that's probably nostalgia. I do find listening to an album side rather than shuffling through a streaming service is a different listening experience, but maybe I just need to turn off randomize.... Some album and 45s I cannot find in the digital world, so those of course sound way better!

Top Bottom